1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Powerful Sermon

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jordan Kurecki, May 17, 2014.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ugh, you've got to be kidding?

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I found nothing wrong with sermon. I didn't care for all the yelling men. Good grief!

4. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

First the Jesus is savior site and now this. You are traveling down a very dangerous path, Jordan

5. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so...?

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Certainly loud. Reminded me of Paul Heyman of WWE Wrestling....sounded just like him when he was yelling. Sag, thems shoutin baptists. Let them yell.

7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There wasn't a whole lot of substance for a 45 minute ?sermon?

Here are my take-away thoughts:

1) seems that if somebody (unsaved) had enough gumption to come to that meeting, they probably didn't need 45 minutes of battering ram style preaching on the reality of hell. They probably already believe hell is real, at least to some extent

2) seems that if somebody (unsaved) was there, who probably already believed hell is real, then they probably already believe they are a sinner.

3) in regards to above, if somebody (unsaved) believes they are a sinner, and that hell is real, then they probably already have some belief as to what the remedy is.

Now, I'm not talking about an atheist in a public crowd, I'm talking about the unsaved person who came to a Christian meeting to hear a preacher.

Who is this unsaved person who would come to an evening revival service, not knowing anything about sin and hell? I struggle to process such a scenario.

4) if that person knows something about sin and hell and is still unsaved, it is more than likely because of one thing - they have never heard the good news of redemption.

They've had all the bad news they need. This is where I was for two decades. I went to numerous revival meetings as a kid, and very well understood sin and hell.

But nobody ever told me that Jesus Christ saves empty-handed sinners by His work on the cross. That eternal life comes to the one who simply believes upon Him

And I walked out the door without anyone ever telling me that Jesus' blood was poured out as a sin offering on my behalf, that His death was in my place

I was given every impression that the burden was upon me to dig myself out of my sinful condition, just like this ?preacher? insinuated.

He didn't say it with those words. He just planted enough seeds of condemnation without preaching the cross.

He preached YOU do - Hey, you sinner !! you get convicted, you raise your hand, you stand up, you come to the front.

And that's all he preached. That ?preacher? offered no way out unless someone was willing to do his part first. He shoved Christ aside and preached works.

What would be wrong with expounding on the merits of Christ's atonement? (Colossians 2:14, Gal 3:13)
    What would be wrong with explaining that grace is for the one who does NOT work, but relies upon God? (Rom 4:5)
    What would be wrong with explaining that we have access to grace by faith? (Rom 5:1-2, Gal 3:8)

What would be wrong with using the same example Paul did - Abraham?

and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform. Therefore it was also credited to him as righteousness. Now not for his sake only was it written that it was credited to him, but for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, He who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification. - Romans 4:21-25

Had he preached that our full assurance must rest upon Christ and His work alone, somebody might have actually been saved that night. Maybe even many of those who were whooping and hollering

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

And you lost me... No way am I wasting my time listening to Kidd.

9. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

What would be wrong with you hearing a few more of his sermons, before you decide that he doesn't expound properly on Soteriology?

Pick one on The Blood. You may find yourself shouting like the men in the audience. Unless you are a Yankee..We don't do a lot of that.

I've heard several, and they dealt with your complaint list.

I've heard many who do frame an invitation to seem like the onus is on sinners to work their way to God.

Some teeter on the edge of Lordship Salvation Heresy, always adding grace, as an after thought, as if they are afraid they will be accused if they don't.

So, I know what you are saying, and have witnessed the same, and do agree with your points, for the most part.
    But you don't preach the same sermon every time.

10. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say that he doesn't expound properly. But I noticed that in that important context, he didn't.

He went to a revival meeting, presumably to preach to lost sinners. But none heard the good news that night.

My comments about his ?sermon? came from the perspective of someone who sat in church week in and week out as a kid, asking so many questions that I got in trouble for always questioning. I needed for someone to get down to brass tacks concerning eternal life, and nobody ever did.

The message was always two parts - crystal clear on God's judgment toward sinners with fire and brimstone and hell that's hotter than hell, and ambiguity concerning how to get out of it. Nothing but confusion.

Ask an unbeliever coming out of that service - what must you do to have eternal life? - and their answer would probably be like mine was for so long. If I do this, and I do that, and I commit this, and confess that. If I straighten up, or at least be willing to turn over a new leaf....

As an adult, the messages I loved to hear the most were the ones where a preacher told a sinner of all the works he had to do to "get right with God". In my mind, it was all man's work to get himself right

I was steeped in self righteousness and never heard the gospel until I was 28. And when I did, I rejected it flatly.

I kept rejecting until my self righteous notions of reaching God were dispelled. And that should have been his thrust if this guy honestly went there to preach to lost sinners.

He preached just enough to solidify in one's mind whatever was already believed. Laden with human responsibility at the expense of the cross.

45 minutes to preach to sinners, and nary a mention of the cross? That guy ought to be ashamed of himself. Even if it only happened once, he ought to be embarrassed enough to shred the evidence that it ever happened

If he does, that's awesome. I might give a listen to another of his, and see if I get what you're talking about.
    I hope you believe me, that I'm not shooting him down as a false teacher, or someone who knows nothing but condemnation

But in that one little church, when he spent 45 minutes preaching on hell and not one mention of how Christ has come in our stead and bore our sins, that we might escape the fires if we only trust in Him.

That was the ultimate fail.

Too many.

And many believers have a hard time seeing what I talk about because they've never been that little 6 year old kid who never got solid answers.
    Or that 12 year old kid who had been asking for 6 years, and had tried every works formula imaginable
    Or that 16 year old kid, who after 10 years of never finding answer, determined to never set foot in another church.
    Or that 28 year old man who was reduced to agonizing torment, still not sure what one must do to reach God. Desiring so badly to know, and never assured of anything but God's wrath.

I knew all too well the fate that awaited me. What I didn't know was the grace of God. That is, until someone preached the cross, embraced through faith alone. But all those self righteous notions had to be stripped away first. 22 years of works righteousness had to be unraveled, and it wasn't easy.

I agree.

You're right. I agree that the same message doesn't have to be preached every time - if he's preaching to and for believers

I just can't help remembering all those revival services I was in, hearing that same message. And walking out the door every bit the same sinner I was before

Because I never heard the good news, only that...

"hell is hot, brother. And if you walk out of here without getting yourself right with God..."

11. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=45sr-Cc_4m0

Best message on the blood of Christ that I have ever heard in my life.

it deals with all of your complains.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this Mr. Kidd again? I can't access youtube here.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you could find hm on Sermon audio.:smilewinkgrin:

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could probably find him there if that indeed is the speaker. But I would need to know the name of the sermon.

Mr. Kidd and his Amen corner doesn't suit me. Now he goes on and on with no particular edifying result. I can see where folks would be turned off of "long sermons" if he was the sole reference point.

15. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's not on sermon audio.

The name of the sermon is in his own blood.

You could always take the link and go to a youtube to mp3 converter site and download it.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me hit you with a sermon you should be (we all should be) excited about. Its called the Sermon on the Mount.....found in Matthew 5-7 & Luke 6:20-49

Try that 1st ....that should center you.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Jordan loves him!?!

18. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's your point?

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Focus on whats important. Is that clear?