1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Practical Gifts for Missionaries

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Spinach, Oct 31, 2009.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard of it, and I have a supporting church that participates, but other than that I don't know anything about it, so I can't comment. Sorry!

Japan is a rich country, with 90% or so in the middle class, so to my knowledge such organizations don't operate here. We do have some poor folk in our church, but when we try to help them we must do so anonymously due to a Japanese custom called giri-ninjo. Essentially this means that when you get a gift you try to give back a gift of equal or better value. Boy does that lead to some mixed up situations!

2. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree John of Japan. I met a man who was a Christian and took things to Turkey. He took a box or two to them and they enjoyed it. They had not had it before.
    Faithgirl

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I was going to try to send a box of fun to some missionaries...wow. I couldn't believe how expensive it would be. I need to learn to pack.

I know boxes are great, but ...what else that can mail inexpensively?

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be comparatively cheap to send CDs of good American Christian music. Good Christian music is hard to get on some mission fields, and if the language is different, English music is nice to hear. :type:

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Yeppers. Thanks for this great thought.