1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Praise

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by evangelist6589, Jun 22, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord after I had a ultrasound they found no plaque in my arteries so no need to take cholesterol medications, but I will need to watch my diet very closely before I have another blood test in 6 months. Reduce pasta's, candy, regular soda, cereal, and all foods high in carbs, and increase protein and exercise 4-5 times a week for a half hour.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's excellent!

• Like Like x 1
  3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My diet will have to be limited. She did not say I could not have a Pudding Pie, a regular soda, or pasta, she just said to reduce it big time. However I suspect that the Pasta will do me more damage to my cholesterol than a simple soda, especially meals like Mac N Cheese, which can be quite excellent if made at home.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know this is not a debate forum but I believe there has been some misunderstanding.

I'm not sure what the ultrasound was taken of. A ultrasound of the heart will not see plaque buildup in coronary arteries. An ultrasound of the carotid arteries (neck) may see moderate or advanced atherosclerosis (plaque) but this isn't very common in people in their 30's or 40's. By the time plaque is seen there, cholesterol levels have been high for decades.

1. Cholesterol medications are taken when blood tests show elevated cholesterol levels.
    2. A low cholesterol diet can slightly reduce blood cholesterol levels. Medications for cholesterol are taken when diet fails to control high cholesterol levels.
    3. A low-cholesterol diet limits animal-based products (meat and cheeses) which are in rich saturated fats and calories.
    4. A healthy diet includes plenty nutrient rich foods, low-calorie foods, especially fruits and vegetables.
    5. Pasta, soda, sugary cereal, breads, macaroni, etc. are nutrient poor, high calorie foods which cause weight gain (fat) but in themselves do not contain cholesterol.
    6. Exercise elevates HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). A high total cholesterol is acceptable in the presence of a high HDL.

Hope this helps

Rob

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Change the pasta to whole wheat wherever possible. It's the processed white flour that she's talking about.

Reduce potatoes. Substitute sweet potatoes instead. Personally, I didn't care for sweet potatoes as a kid; now, I love 'em. Sweet potato fries, potato/squash medleys, baked sweet potato; it's all good.

Sugars, such as candy and soda, contribute to carb count.

Eat more salad.