1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pray with your kids? Where is that written?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by theolog, Sep 14, 2009.

1. theolog

theolog New Member

First of all, thanks to those of you who tried to give verses. I'm preparing a sermon on How to Strengthen Your Family According to God's Word and I want one of my main points to be "Pray with your kids"... so I'm searching for a very clear verse to support that teaching.

I have nothing against praying with your family. What I don't want to do is proclaim something is a Biblical teaching if I have no scripture to back it up.

Second, I think some of you really need to pray about HOW you participate in Baptist Board threads.

The answers I received ranged in attitude from kind to hateful.

It's a good thing I'm already a Christian, or some of the attitudes I've been reading here would have easily kept me from wanting to be anything like a Christian. This Baptist Board seems to breed an us-vs-them mentality and I fear, ultimately, hate. I urge you all to reconsider how you participate in this Board in light of 1 Thessalonians 5:15 and Philippians 2:3-4.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Don Whitney has a good book on family devotions at www.spiritualdisciplines.org. He does an excellent job of using scripture to support what he teaches.

Just a thought, if you would have been a little clearer about why you were asking, you might have gotten different responses from folks here.

As to the OP, Jesus gives His disciples instructions to pray in many places and specifically in Matt. 6:9-13.

Jesus commands His disciples to make disciples, and part of making disciples is "teaching them to obey all that I commanded you...." (Matt. 28:20). Teaching them about prayer, therefore, is part of the command.

Concerning children, we are commanded to "train up a child in the way he should go..." (Proverb 22:6) We all agree (I hope) that part of training up a child is teaching them about God and to seek God in prayer.

Therefore, you have the command to pray, the command to teach others to pray, and the command to teach children to pray.

peace to you:praying:

3. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

I just re-read every post on this thread.

Hateful?

You're serious?

You have WAAAY too thin a skin, my man.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many trolls sneak in here from time to time, and your OP sent up red flags. Don't take it personally, it is just a miscommunication, and I'm glad to see your intent was a very good one. Please be a little clearer next time...starting your OP with "I'm doing a sermon this Sunday and..." would have never gotten the responses you did.

FTR, I didn't see anything "hateful"...facetious, snide...maybe.