1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prayer, and what is right?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by suedonny, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

I don't agree that passage applies to this situation, but that's fine.

Blessings to you,

Joe

2. standingfirminChrist

If it did not appear evil to the spouse, she would not have gone off like she did.

Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

All does not mean some. It means if it appears evil, decline from participating in it.

3. Joe

Joe New Member

Not to hyjack this thread, but in 1 Thessalonians 5:22 "Abstain from all appearance of evil" Paul appears to be talking about us abstaining from every form of evil, not the appearance of it. I don't think he meant to avoid things that LOOK evil to another person.
    Especially since everything appears evil to someone.
    I have heard this passage from other Christians trying to correct me regarding various actions of eating meat around vegetarians (I eat meat about once a yr), riding up to church camp alone with another female Camp Counselor, and bike riding with a former drug addict.

The Greek word (KJV) for appearance is Edios. It is defined as outward appearance, external appearance, shape or form.

NIV Translation- "Avoid Every Kind of Evil"

Joe

#23 Joe, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  4. Joe

Joe New Member

duplicate post

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Exactly. When Jesus "broke" the sabbath, He knew that what He did would be viewed as evil in the eyes of the Pharisees. In fact, in some cases, Jesus went out of His way to irk the Pharisees (making mud on the Sabbath). Jesus wasn't concerned about avoiding the "appearance" of evil, because He wasn't doing anything wrong.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Suedonny, SFIC has given all of us some very sound advice. To this day, my pastor will not enter a home where the woman is alone without having someone with him. The same advice applies to women as well.

Thanks, SFIC for reminding us of the need to avoid even the appearance of evil, and jealous husbands and wives.

7. standingfirminChrist

It is sad that many do not see any wrong in going into homes of people of the opposite gender when the spouse is not home.

Even if it is not a jealous spouse, it can be a busybody neighbor. It can be one you gave a tract to. It can be one whose door you knocked on during visitation.

Whoever it is that sees you go in that house, what does it do for your testimony? Do you truly think that person who suspects you of cheating with another person's spouse will receive any witness of Christ from you?

Why, he or she calls himself or herself a Christian and is fooling around with my neighbor! What kind of god is he or she serving? It paints a false picture of Christianity.

Sure, Christ went around sinners, but He did not go alone. He was always seen with His Apostles, or others.

The only one Christ went and talked to one on one was God.

We must abstain from all appearance of evil or our testimony is lost to others.

Thank you Tom.

8. standingfirminChrist

Jesus never broke the Sabbath. He could not do something contrary to God. He came to do the will of the Father, not His own will.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Well no matter how you slice it, it is not Christlike. We can't allow anyone to pull us into their sexual fantasies and perverted thoughts under the guise of "jealousy".
    Are you married? I am. We are to remain pure in thought. I don't always succeed, but I try.

A jealous spouse receives two sentences of an explanation, and a quick apology from me for whatever misunderstanding occurred. My wife does the same. Then it must be dropped, as we won't fuel any indecent thoughts or place any emphasis on what happened.

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29

Blessings,

Joe

#29 Joe, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  10. standingfirminChrist

There will be people who will be ready to believe the worst. But as Christians, we are not to fuel the fire.

We are told to abstain from all appearance of evil. We are told not to give place to the devil.

If you see no problem in ruining your testimony before men, then that is a serious problem whether you think so or not.

Our witness cannot be believed as true by others if our actions cause them to think we are living in sin.

#30 standingfirminChrist, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  11. Joe

Joe New Member

I think we have different views on what "fueling" is, and that is fine. I am curious of how many people feel the way you do.

Joe

12. standingfirminChrist

At least one other in this thread. Of course, the majority does not mean the right.

And, I might as well add... God often used the minority to reveal the truth.

#32 standingfirminChrist, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  13. kubel

kubel New Member

I think you should just take this as a lesson that not all Christians are faultless. "Good" people like pointing the finger at the innocent. The pharisees did this to Jesus. There's not much you can do to change them, but like it was mentioned, you can avoid such false accusations by making sure you avoid situations where people could make assumptions like they did in this case. But I wouldn't focus too much about what other people see on the outside. You know within that you were blameless, and so does God, and that's all that really matters.

14. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, men of God should not be instantly judging one another on the plain outward appearance of such things and letting their imaginations get carried away with accusative thoughts and getting worked up with indecent opinions over a simple innocent meeting between opposite genders…this could even come to violating the first three things that the Lord hates with that kind of instant and unsubstantiated finger pointing and allegations:

(Pro 6:16) These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

(Pro 6:17) A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

(Pro 6:18) A heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

(Pro 6:19) A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

I do think it could be prudent in some cases of this sort in order to abstain from the appearance of evil; but being righteous in heart then only necessary in this type case IF essential to effectually be a good witness while considering someone else who would easily imagine such evil; and I would say the problem lies within the heart of the one who so easily comes to such conclusions and I certainly wouldn’t spend MY life walking on egg shells worrying about what others might think or might jump to conclusion on because of their own degraded minds.

• It doesn’t sound as if anyone else was there when Jesus was talking to the Samaritan woman at the well.
    Edited to say my parroting on kubel's post was unintentionally done as I didn't see it before posting. Like mindedness I guess.

#34 Benjamin, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  15. standingfirminChrist

Jesus was already at the well when the woman came to it.

Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with [his] journey, sat thus on the well: [and] it was about the sixth hour. There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink. (John 4:6-7)

Had Jesus not been tired, I believe He would have gone on with His Disciples into town.

#35 standingfirminChrist, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  16. standingfirminChrist

As Christians, our light is to shine not just before other Christians only, but before all men for the purpose of causing them to see Christ in us and glorify God.

Giving the devil an occasion to bring accusation against God's people is not letting the light shine.

17. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't imply who got there first, only that it seems to appear they were there talking alone.

18. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

No it is like this if someone knows that I am a Christain and have a root bear bottle in my had and they think it is a real beer in my hand. Does that give them the right to judge me. My friend the thing is if we would do what christ said these thing would not be.Mt 7:1 JUDGE not, that ye be not JUDGEd. Mt 7:2 For with what judgment ye JUDGE, ye shall be JUDGEd: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. This women was taken in the very act.Joh 8:3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, Joh 8:4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act Joh 8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? Joh 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. Joh 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. Joh 8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. Joh 8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. Joh 8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? Joh 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. The point is we should not judge and that is the evil of this matter.

19. standingfirminChrist

Charles,

The Bible also tells us to judge righteous judgment.

Why is it people always want to quote the verse 'Judge not lest ye be judged,' but never want to quote the words of our Lord in John 7:24?

It is not a righteous judgment to go into a house of someone of the opposite sex when the spouse is not there.

20. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

And it is also not righteous to judge.:thumbs: What is a righteous judgment? Are you telling me judge not is not a righteous judgement. Condem not and though shalt not be condemed.Ro 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. Ro 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. Ro 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. Ro 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. Ro 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Ro 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way 1co 4:5 Therefore JUDGE nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God .

#40 charles_creech78, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007