1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer bracelets?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by nate, Feb 1, 2006.

1. nate

nate New Member

I'm wondering what you guys think about using bracelets or rosary type items in prayer. The following is an explanation of why they are useful:
    This isn't so much a RCC question. I'm talking about a Baptist or Protestant just using something to help them concentrate. Is it wrong?

2. nate

nate New Member

Here is someone elses idea:

3. standingfirminChrist

Sounds new age to me.

Why should one need to rely on beads to reach God?

1 Timothy 2:5 For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the prayer bracelet?

NOT!!!

1 Timothy 2:5 For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

If one touches each bead in prayer, his mind is not on that which he should be praying for, rather it is on the beads... did I touch that one already? What can this one represent?

4. nate

nate New Member

That's a good point. But if used merely for concentration... I would welcome any Scripture you could provide that says it is wrong to use them to help one pray.

5. standingfirminChrist

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Again, it does not say, John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, Beads are the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by them.

Are we supposed to be concentrating on beads when in prayer? or on the Lord?

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I would agree with 'Standing'here. Although probably not 'wrong' why would one need to use a bracelet and beads to help you pray?

7. standingfirminChrist

Just a quick question...

How does a set of beads help one to concentrate any more than without?

My opinion... beads would take away from concentration. They would be distracting. Focus would be more on beads than on God.

8. nate

nate New Member

Here is the story of a young woman who I found interesting:

9. nate

nate New Member

But I don't think anyone is praying to the beads.

Certainly on the Lord. But what if the beads helps one keep his focus or remember to pray?

10. standingfirminChrist

Prayer Beads???

C'mon, that is just as bad as those that are looking for God in every material object possible.

God is not in those inanimate beads. To teach anyone that beads help one get closer to God is a false doctrine.

11. nate

nate New Member

I agree in a sense. God is certainly not in any inanimate objects. But what about the young woman that has the attention disorder. Prayer is sometimes a very difficult task. Satan knows the power of prayer and he fights us the strongest when we are in prayer. Anyways I'm tired long day today and probably another tomorrow. God bless....
    [​IMG]

12. standingfirminChrist

If she cannot keep her attention on prayer without beads, she certainly is not going to keep her attention on God with beads.

13. nate

nate New Member

That seems a little harsh. Some people use things to help keep them focused.

14. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Well, Nate, let's look at it from another prospective.

Did anyone in the Bible ever use prayer beads for anything? I can't think of any.

Then there's always the question, "what would Jesus do?"

Peace,

Tam

15. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Using aids to focus are fine as long as they do not become the focus. Closing ones eyes in prayer was developed as a means of aiding focus in prayer so that things going on around you did not distract you.

Some people only see the negative never the positive.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I use a prayer list. Does that mean I rely on the list instead of God?

17. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

You are comparing apples to oranges. Everyone I know uses a prayer list--but "prayer bracelets" are synonymous with "rosary beads" in the RCC.

The best example of the way we should pray is found in Matthew 6:5-13--many call this the "Lord's Prayer". That is somewhat of a misnomer. Actually, the real "Lord's Prayer" is found in John 17--Matthew 6 is a "model prayer" which Jesus taught His disciples. I like to call it the "Disciples Prayer".

So-called "prayer bracelets" are pretty much a New Age thing, very similar to the way people used "crystals" in the 70s.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Personally, I have no use for them. However, I have no problem with them, so long as the object itself is not prayed to (which would be idolatry). But the use of tools to assist in one's personal meditative and prayer life, I see no problem with it if one finds it beneficial.
    Then don't use them. As I said, I don't and have no need for them. However, if someone else finds them useful in their prayer life as noted above, then I can see nothing scripturally wrong them them.

19. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course there's nothing wrong with them. But it's too close to Catholicism so it must be wrong.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They are? The only prayer beads I've seen don't resemble rosaries at all.
    I fail to see how. Crystals were believed to have special powers. I can find no one who claims that prayer beads (as discussed here) have any special type of pwer whatsoever, only as a tool. Now, if someone were actually claiming that prayer beads had any kinds of power to them, I'd be in agreement with you.