1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer bracelets?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by nate, Feb 1, 2006.

1. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Quote by Linda64~
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jesus gave His disciples a "model" prayer in Matthew 6:9-13. In 1 Thess. 5:17 we are to "pray without ceasing"--which means to always be in a prayerful attitude. Read the words of this famous hymn by Hel­en H. Lem­mel, written in 1922:

TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS
    ---------------------------------------------------

I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. [​IMG]

Great minds think alike!

2. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

AMEN music4Him [​IMG]

When we are in the right fellowship with God, we do not need "prayer bracelets, beads, rosaries, etc." to help us pray.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

All well and good. However, just because they are not needed, that doesn't mean they're scripturally wrong (except where discussed prior).

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John -- Don't you get it?? If you are in fellowship enough with God - if you really love Him, follow His word, keep His commandments, etc., then you don't need things like this when you pray. Only those poor slobs who are afar off and are not close enough to God need these things. (And let's face it, if they use these things when they pray, are they REALLY Christians anyway??)

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If I am so, I also don't need to bow my head and close my eyes, or kneel, or folds my hands together. But I frequently do all or most of those things. I don't have a need to, however.

The issue isn't "need". As I said, I ahve no need for them. The issue is whether it's scripturally forbidden to use them. It is not, except where previously discussed.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh my, I realize in retrospect that the post from FoS was sarcasm. Clearly, I slept through that class ;) My apologies to FoS.

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Johnv~
    Ok scripture and verse thats its ok to use prayer beads and rosaries...ect to help us remember what to pray for.

If we are in prayer without ceasing you'd think we'd cover all the bases. I pray at the drop of the hat (This is not to pat myself on the back), but if theres a need and you fell lead to pray.... then pray. When my fire radio goes off I pray and call others to pray also. When I listen to it and hear that someone is hurt I pray. If I'm in town and hear an ambulance....hello...I'll pray I sure don't need to tug on a bead to tell me who or what to pray for.

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. [​IMG]

8. nate

nate New Member

No one is saying you 'need' anything to pray.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are absolutely right. There is no chapter and verse that says to use beads. There is also no Scriptural admonition NOT to use them. If so, please provide chapter and verse.

I may close my eyes, bow my head, and even kneel. Some may raise their hands, but I prefer to fold mine. Others may use beads when they pray. And others may make the sign of the cross after prayers. And my question is -- so?

Shouldn't we be glad that our fellow Christians are praying 0R should we be so concerned that we are not all praying the same way.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Uh, I'm not the one who said it was scripturally wrong to use prayer beads et al. So it falls upon the "it's wrong" crowd to provide scripture for their reasoning. To date, none has been provided that empirically supports the claim.
    Amen to that, and not only do I applaud you (I don't think you're boasting), but I concur completely, and have done the same. Like I said, I have no need for prayer beads, or any prayer tools whatsoever. However, that fact does not make it wrong if it is a benefit to another person's prayer life (with ecxeptions as already discussed).

11. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

After reading through the thread it's obvious there is no Scripture that forbids the use of prayer beads. Although I for one would avoid them simply because the RCC church uses them. But I cannot forbid someone else from using them.

12. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Sorry about that Johnv I must of read your post wrong. I appologize~

**Music4Him blushing in embarassment**

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No harm done, my brother [​IMG]

14. music4Him

music4Him New Member

DeclareHim as a very wise Baptist man said on this board.......
    "Where the Bible is slient...."

Which I took it as saying as far as this topic is concerned, if its not in the Bible its not for me. [​IMG]

15. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This is faulty logic. Can you show me chapter a verse that says its okay to use a prayer list?

17. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen to that FoS....I would think that the folk on the Board would be PLEASED that some Catholics pray, being so far beyond the Pale so to speak...

I for one am not mad keen on the current fad by some celebrities wearing rosaries as fashion accessories, however I pray that with those folks good will come out of curiosity and lead their steps to God. Rosaries when worn are usually under the clothes out of sight as is the scapular etc. These are worn by the person with a particular devotion to the sacramental and is not for display. [​IMG]

18. music4Him

music4Him New Member

This is faulty logic. Can you show me chapter a verse that says its okay to use a prayer list? </font>[/QUOTE]Its a gray area, but there are no prayer beads in my bible. There is however lots of prayers in my bible written down in Psalms and in Matthew 6:9-13 and Eph.1:15-23, that we use as outlines. So if you use a prayer list/outline to go by I don't see nothing wrong with it because these were penned in the bible.

19. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Pssstt John...me thinks Music is a sister [​IMG]

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This is faulty logic. Can you show me chapter a verse that says its okay to use a prayer list? </font>[/QUOTE]Its a gray area, but there are no prayer beads in my bible. There is however lots of prayers in my bible written down in Psalms and in Matthew 6:9-13 and Eph.1:15-23, that we use as outlines. So if you use a prayer list/outline to go by I don't see nothing wrong with it because these were penned in the bible. </font>[/QUOTE]No place does the Bible tell me it is okay to make a list of the people I am praying for.

If an object is used as a way to remember actual prayers instead of rote prayers, it can serve the same purpose as a prayer list.

Bead one - thanksginving and praise
    Bead tow - family
    Etc.