1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer, Can it REALLY Change Things?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 20, 2013.

?
  1. Without a doubt, it can, will and does!

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. It depends on ________[please tell us in comments what "it depends" on]

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Not always [please explain]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No opinion [please explain]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Prayer only works for believers [please explain]

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. God will answer anyones prayers, regardless of faith [please explain]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Prayer needs faith to exact a change [please explain]

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. The sinners prayer is an example of change through prayer [please explain]

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. I've personally had a miracle(s) through prayer [please explain]

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  10. I've witnessed miracles through prayer [please explain]

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ~ WE CAN DO NOTHING WITHOUT PRAYER [when it comes to spiritual things] ~

While we know that God answers prayer in three different way...

1) Sometimes He'll say, YES!
    2) Sometimes He'll say "NO!"
    3) Other times He'll say, "You got to be kidding?" I have something much better for you, so wait on me and see...

When God answers our prayers, He can grant our request through His most perfect will, and then there are times He will grant our request through His "Permissive will!" We just need to know that He will not do anything, unless we pray, which is why we're told several things about prayer:

1) To gather with others when we pray, because where two or more gather in His name, He will be there, and He will do it for us! (Matthew 18:19-20)
    2) We are reminded to pray without ceasing!" (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
    3) We are to pray in Jesus's name, knowing that what we do not know how to put into words [through prayer], the Holy Spirit will do for us! (John 14:12-14 and Romans 8: 26-27)
    4) Finally, prayer must be done in a spirit of faith, and attitude of faith which is believing in that which you can't see or touch, but still know will be because God said so! (Hebrews 11:1)

**E. M. Bounds said many things about prayer. His words are very uplifting, and I want to share a few of his infamous quotes as I close this description out:

-->[/B]"We cannot talk to God strongly when we have not lived for God strongly. The closet cannot be made holy to God when the life has not been holy to God."
    -->"Prayer puts God's work in his hands-and keeps it there."
    -->"Prayer is our most formidable weapon, the thing which makes all else we do efficient."
    -->"Every mighty move of the Spirit of God has had its source in the prayer chamber."

FINALLY - "We can do nothing without prayer. All things can be done by persistent prayer. It surmounts or removes all obstacles, overcomes every resisting force and gains its ends in the face of invincible hindrances."

:praying: So, let us prayer together, and when needed, let us pray for each other!!! :praying:

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RD2..., when my daughter was born, premature back in 1981, she was sent to the newly created neo-natal unit at Viadent, Greenville, NC. She languished for almost two weeks with no change in her condition. Just barely hanging on at 4 pounds.

Sunday morning the church offered up prayers for her recovery.

That afternoon we drove to the hospital and were met by her doctor who just couldn't understand what had happened. In his opinion, and to the rest of the staff..., they just couldn't understand how her condition had improved so much in just over an hour. If she was to remain in her current condition by "tomorrow morning", we could take her home. This little baby went from almost dying to being healthy in an hour!

...course, to some posters on this forum it probably really didn't happen, because it just doesn't fit into their narrow set of beliefs..., (and I am being sarcastic) but it did. Our Lord answered our PRAYERS!!! Her recovery baffled the medical staff!!! They just couldn't understand it all!!!

Then, on other occasions, our prayers seemed to have fallen on deaf ears only to realize weeks or months down the road the Lord opened another door
    which was better for us. Had we got what we asked for in the beginning we would have lost out on that better blessing. :godisgood:

I'm glad I'm at the age, having come full circle, that I can now see it's not about following some local congregational "party line" but rather..., just following the Lord. As Jesus said, "Follow me..." Don't need nuttin' else.

No jumping pews; no sashaying in the isles; no do-si-dos; no falling on the floor uttering gibberish; no hugging all the women in the church..., just trusting in the Lord for HIS WILL to be done.

Amazing, isn't it? :thumbs:

Praise the Lord!!!

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say your daughter was a miracle child!

IMHO, and what I believe the Word teaches; you definitely witnessed an, honest to goodness, supernatural healing! And I don't care if anyone believes or not, God is the God of the impossible!

Thanks for sharing HAMel! Now let's go jump a few pews while singing some of the newer contemporary praise and worship songs along with a hymn or two! :laugh::wavey::thumbsup:

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

In line with the subject line of the thread, I've been wondering a similar question. Is it ever too late to pray?

Here's a scenario to illustrate what I mean: a missionary has a problem. He sends out a letter for prayer, which takes a while to get to churches. By the time the churches are aware of the situation it is resolved one way or the other. They then begin praying. Does God, in His foreknowledge, see the churches praying in the future an take that into consideration when He considers intervention?

If so, what are the limits to this? Can we pray for the past, understanding that God knew we'd pray?