1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Cloths

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Brian30755, May 21, 2005.

1. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Prayer Cloths. I just saw another post on here where someone referred to them as "hocus-pocus".

I guess I'm ignorant of the subject. What's their origin? Are they Biblical?

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

There is a reference to objects and shadows having healing properties in scripture but certainly they were not from some average Joe preacher man.

3. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

So what's your take on a Church where folks anoint little cloths with oil, pray over them (asks God to anoint them and heal those who touch the cloths), then the members take them to people who are sick? Is this Biblical?

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

The people will get oily.

5. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

One of my Nephews has a prayer handkercheif. It was anointed and prayed over by someone he knows, and he has used it more than once, and it works. The people get better, they get rest and peace.

Sometimes he has used it when the person doesn't know it and it still works!!

Selah,

Tam

6. billwald

billwald New Member

A psychological effect. Does it work with lottery numbers?

7. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Question: Why doesn't he take it down to the hospital and clear out the place?

8. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

I'm not sure I understand prayer cloths, but let me ask you this: Do you believe prayer works? If you do, why don't you go to the hospital and, with prayer, clear out the place?

If you don't believe it works, then why would you bother to ever pray for someone who has cancer, for example.

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Brian, Annointing the sick with oil is biblical, but it is to be done at the request of the infirmed and done by the elders of the church with prayer over the person.

Personally, I would be as much or more satisfied to have the "oil of gladness"...preaching, praying, and singing..."poured" over me, rather than some old Crisco. I don't like being oily.

Truth be told, James was probably using symbolism, i.e. not actually telling them to dump oil on people, to describe giving grace and peace to one another and especially those that are infirmed.

I have seen actual oil used only once in the past, and it is not a regular practice among Primitive Baptists. In fact, the lady who asked to be oiled was from a group of "off-shoots" from the Primitive Baptists.

I'll just stick with prayer to God to guide the surgeons to heal me if I'm ever gravely ill again. I don't need an oily rag to be healed. If that was the case, then my truck would never break down. I guess oily rags don't work on automobiles. :D

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know that Benny Hinn has advocated this idea on more than one occasion, I am not sure that a material object can carry the annointing of the Holy Spirit, it would seem to me that the Holy Spirit is insde us, not deposited on things, yet I concede that there could be an illustration that may suggest otherwise.

11. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

I guess that's what I was wondering. Because according to the Scripture that Diane mentioned (quoted below), it seems as though a material object can carry the annointing, or at least it could at one time.

12. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

quote:Question: Why doesn't he take it down to the hospital and clear out the place?

See, here again is the thing that a lot of people forget. We are to be led by the Holy Ghost!!

I'm sure if the command came to go lay it on everyone in the hospital, it would work!!

However, just to rush to the hospital would be to try to do it with mans own power. Just like some preachers were called and some just went!!

John 15-5~~~without me ye can do nothing.

Tam

13. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Follow the money. It follows the cloth.

14. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

I don't know anyone that takes money for praying for people!!

How uncouth!! What are you saying Hillclimber??

Spell it out. and I might remind you it is not a good idea to poke fun at the workings of the Holy Ghost!!

Selah,

Tam

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I used to see Robert Tilton, I believe, and Benny Hinn "sell" them. ITs not the cloth, nor the oil that does the healing. Acually , its not the prayer either. Its the working of the Father.

16. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I see fake faith-healers all the time using excuses like that as a cop-out to avoid having their fraudelent practices exposed.

We are commanded in scripture to do good to others. If I have a magic prayer or a magic rag that will automatically heal people then I have a responsibility to use it to do good. Where could I do more good than down at the hospital?

What we have here is at best gnosticism; at worst deception. We are to be in obedience to the Holy Spirit, which means that we are to be obedient to the revealed Word of God. It doesn't mean sitting around for some mystical "word" or impression before we do anything,

17. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Tatertot said:I used to see Robert Tilton, I believe, and Benny Hinn "sell" them. ITs not the cloth, nor the oil that does the healing. Acually , its not the prayer either. Its the working of the Father.

I'm not talking about those kind of people. I.m talking about just regular people!!

Would you charge somebody to pray for them? Of course not!

And you are right, in the end it is God that does the healing, not the cloth!!

Peace,

Tam

18. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Monergist said:I see fake faith-healers all the time using excuses like that as a cop-out to avoid having their fraudelent practices exposed.

We are commanded in scripture to do good to others. If I have a magic prayer or a magic rag that will automatically heal people then I have a responsibility to use it to do good. Where could I do more good than down at the hospital?

What we have here is at best gnosticism; at worst deception. We are to be in obedience to the Holy Spirit, which means that we are to be obedient to the revealed Word of God. It doesn't mean sitting around for some mystical "word" or impression before we do anything,

Tam says: That is simply YOUR opinion of how things work. And in my opinion, your version is hogwash!!

I am led by the Holy Ghost and so are a lot of people I know!!

However, if you find something wrong with that, it is your problem and not mine!!

By the way, there is no "magic prayer or a magic rag ". Magic has nothing to do with the Holy Ghost!!

Working for Jesus,

Tam