1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer In Schools?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jshurley04, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The question often comes up about America kicking God out of our schools and if we want to turn this nation around, all we need to do is bring God back into the schools. This would/could be through prayer and or Bible study time, however, this would not be as it used to be. Are we foolish enough to think that the universal type of prayer that would come into the class room of today would be what we would support? Are we foolish enough to think that they would really use convicting portions of scripture, if they used actual scripture at all? Why would we support the return of prayer in schools and even Bible studies when we know that it would in no way be close to God honoring?

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We'd get a hodge podge of prayers offered to a hodge podge of gods who are not God Almighty, the Lord Jesus Christ.

What sort of prayer do you want??

Islamic prayer?

Masonic prayer?

Hindu prayer?

OR

Do we want prayers that the Prophet Elijah prayed

"The God who answers by fire----let Him be God!!!"

No other God CAN answer by fire except the God of consuming fire!! The Lord Jesus Christ!!!! Amen???

Blackbird

3. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

While there was a time when the statement to "bring God back into the schools" was a legitimate statement, it no longer is. The problem today is to Bring God back into the home and family. Instead what we have done is replace Him with religion. The only cure for this is the coming destruction that will come upon this world and the setting up of the kingdom.

4. mnw

mnw New Member

Gerald, are you an optimist? :) I believe you are right in the sense that only the physical return of Christ and the setting up of His kingdom will make things right...

However, if people let God in them, and work through them, then He will be in the schools, and in the home, and society, the community, the work place...

Souls saved and serving will put God back everywhere we want Him to be.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nobody can kick God out of anything. Just read the OT and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If a few judges can really "kick God out of schools" then we have a little g god.

We cannot rely of gov't. to encourage prayer..... WE have to. I've said it once and I'll say it again: If you're fighting hard to keep the 10 Commandments up in public on government property, do you at least have the 10 Commandments posted at home? Can you name them? In order?

It is a horrible idea to mix government and the church.

Edit: Why do I want government employees leading my kids in prayer? A bunch of them can't even teach!!!!
    The government can't even tell me whether or not all this Social Security money they've been taking from
    me will even be there when I'm 67-1/2. Nor can the guhment work on a budget and stay in the black!

#5 Jkdbuck76, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that you hit the nail on the head. Most have kicked God out of their homes long ago.

As for organized prayer, I'm not necessarily for it. I don't want the Muslims leading that prayer, or the Mormons, or the JW's, or the Buddhists, or a thousand other false religions leading prayer in our schools. As long as students are taking tests, and long as their are teachers trying to teach all those over-medicated kids, there will alway be genuine, real Christians praying in school.

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

You can't bring the Christian God back into the public school system when the priests of that system are secular humanists. I think Luther knew what he was saying when he said...

"I am afraid that the schools will prove the very gates of hell, unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures and engraving them in the heart of the youth." - Martin Luther​

If scripture is not taught in these schools and subjects such as literature, history and science are not taught from a Christian world view, then we are giving our children up to some other world view.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At my school where I taught for 21 years, there was prayer. It is not illegal for there to be student-led prayers.

If the Fellowship of Christian Students wanted to say a prayer before an event, they were allowed to. Bibles are allowed in schools. The Gideons were still coming to my school before I left there.

On a more personal note, my children and other children knew that most (90%) of their teachers were Christians. 40% of our faculty would take prayer requests from children in private or in public. The students knew that we weren't going to have a prayer service in the middle of math class, but they knew that the teachers who took prayer requests were going to pray for what was requested.

Many a child would come to me and whisper in my ear or tell me at the lunch table, "Ms. Kim, please pray for my daddy...he's in jail again." or "Please pray for my Grannie, she's very sick."

It is not illegal to sing Christmas songs and hymns at a Christmas gathering in the cafeteria and it is not illegal for children to dress up like Mary and Joseph and put on a Christmas play.

The federal government may have put a ban on adults leading corporate prayer in schools and proselytizing children at school, but people, that's probably a good thing.

But God wasn't kicked out of public schools.....and neither was prayer.

9. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

I am not sure what constitutes one being an optimist so I will not be able to answer that question. I can tell you that I strongly encourage people seeking to win others to Christ and to explain to them what it means to walk with Him, however I can tell you that I am a realist and the scripture is clear that as the day of the Lord draws near the true church will decrease and be filled with many false claimers.
    I would that Christ be lifted up and the people return to His call, but I do not see such happening based on scripture. I have been a Christian now for over 20 years and I have seen nothing but a downward trend in the church and in the walk of the claimed saints. So yes seek to call the church to change, but that will take the pastors returning to the Lord as well as the people and we are not seeing it to date.

10. mnw

mnw New Member

I would agree with you Gerald. Part of me questions whether great things could still be seen. I do not mean to offend anyone. But as a young man just starting out in the ministry, and I am sure it is the same for many, it is somewhat disheartening to be repeatedly told, in effect: "These are the end times and great things will no longer happen. Don't expect too much because God is done with this world."

While I agree there is a theological basis for expecting such a time, I wonder, is it now, or are we just accepting it as being now...

Like I said, no offence.

11. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Please understand that I do not believe that great things CANNOT happen. Men have the ability to repent, but we also have the bible and it is very clear on the subject as to how things will be in the last days as a whole. I would love to see men who claim to be called of God to return to the biblical calling of preaching the word of God and holding its teachings in the churches that they are called to, but it is not happening. Let me know if you are willing too do this and I will be glad to come and visit your church.
    That means church discipline, teaching young men to respect the women, women to dress godly, children to respect their parents, those who practice sin will not be in the kingdom no matter what they profess, speaking strongly against divorce, and much more.
    So I do not believe that God is done with us, but that He is waiting for anyone who will step up to the plate and do as those of old did, TEACH and PREACH the TRUTH! If you are willing to do this and receive the overwhelming amount of persecution that will come then God will bless you, but it will be with a cost. I pray that you choose to accept the challenge. God bless.

12. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Unfortiunately, recently, pastors had to meet with some school administrators to explain to them that the Supreme Court decision pertained only to public prayer. They were told via a letter from the ACLU that to allow even private prayer, or humanists forbid, the reading or even posession of a Bible is illegal.

Fortunately there was a court decision they could refer then to which clarified that situation and they relented. The child who was suspended and had their Bible confiscated as "objectionable reading material" was reinstated without court order. Unfortunately, her Bible, given by her deceased grandparent, was disposed of and unrecoverable.

Be that as it may, the enemy is hungering and hunting and looking to take complete control of this world. We need to be as gentle as doves and shrewd as serpents. Christians need to stand resolutely and peacfully for our rights.

13. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Originally Posted by gerald285
    The problem today is to Bring God back into the home and family.

Amen. That's the key. Amen and Amen.

This thread has been an eye-opener for me. I've seen petition after petition arrive in my IN box asking our President to bring prayer back to the schools. Not only does he not have the authority to issue an executive order for that purpose, it would be a mistake if he did. As someone pointed out, spoken prayer would then be offered by every imaginable religious advocate in the system, along with secular form prayers, read by someone in administration over a PA system. Egads! I would not want to be a student in that school system. While I remember fondly the 6th grade math teacher who talked to us about God, I wouldn't want what would happen if it became federal or state government policy!!

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Without you citing sources, I highly doubt some of these facts. The ACLU has guides on religion and schools on their website which correctly explains that students CAN pray privately if it is not disruptive, CAN have religious clubs, etc. It is not public vs. private that is the issue. It is state sponsorship that is the sticking point.

15. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Prayer In Schools

WOW!

I seem to have struck a nerve with this one. I am very surprised the there is a very level headed approach to this subject on this board. I half expected for those that demand that we get God back in the schools to chew up my O.P.

I cannot justify a corrupt government, that seeks to please all, so that all may freely sin and crucify those that oppose the sin, being allowed to be any shape, type, or form of model in any way of what prayer should be.

I could see it starting out something like:

Our heavenly father, mother, person, self willed and strong individual human, positive and negative forces, earth, wind, fire, trees, animals, or simply open air, we come to you today...

16. patrick

patrick New Member

God is still very much in school. We only have to teach students to be Jesus with flesh on. One of the 9 schools I minister in has been in a full blown revival for the last 2 years. It is awesome to go in there and visit.

The church is failing to bring up the generation that is currently walking the hall of our public schools. They are an untapped source of God's glory. As long as we are willing to raise up leaders, God will always be very visible in public education.

FYI: It is not illeagal to pray or bring a Bible to school or share your faith. It is when it is forced or during classroom time!!!

17. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's right! Just like the group that fought to get a bible as literature class in the public high school celebrated; little did they realize that they paved the path to have a class on every other "holy book".