1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Language?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by dh1948, Jan 17, 2005.

1. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I hope this is the right thread for this topic. If not, please excuse my ignorance. Now that that is out of the way....

Have you noticed how many of us pastors change the tone of our voices when we pray? Pretty neat, huh? Our words become drawn out, our pronunciation of words change ("God" becomes "Gawd."), and we revert to the old English language. Oh, and we get very repetitive. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes while listening to preachers on TV and radio, I count the number of times they repeat certain words or phrases in their prayer. Once I counted the phrase "Praise God" used 15 times in a one minute prayer! That's once every 4 seconds.

One other thing...we get louder, too! Last year while attending a wild game supper, the speaker offered an invitation after he preached. He invited all pastors to line up across the front of the stage where they would meet any men who wanted to come forward for prayer. The pastor next to me greeted his first reponder by grabbing his head and shouting at the top of his lungs. He confessed every sin the man every did and never lowered his voice.

I don't mean to make light of anyone's prayers, but ain't we preachers a strange breed? I mean, why should we be critical (as Baptists) of our charismatic brethren's tongue-talking when we have a prayer language of our own? Hmmmmm

:confused:

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I make sure I turn my Lapel mike "OFF" right before invitation----still that doesn't help much!!

3. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

That can be a tendancy, but I can honestly say I don't do most of those things. I do however pray alittle louder during corporate prayer, but that's so the people in the back know when I'm done.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much of our PUBLIC prayer language is imitation of others or parroting the KJV old English.

Don't like it, try to avoid it. I talk to God as if talking to the President. Formal and respectful.

Don't like starting a prayer "Hey, dude . . " but also don't like "O God of Jeroboam and Rehoboam and all the Boam boys . . "

5. Gayla

Gayla New Member

It's not just the Pastors/Preachers that pray like that.

"Dear Father, Lord God,
    we thank You for this day, Heavenly Father
    and we ask, Lord God
    that You would, Heavenly Father
    Take us all home safely, Lord God
    And bring us back, Heavenly Father
    at the next appointed time, Lord God."

Have heard a layman pray like this many many times . ..

6. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

You'ld think we thought God had forgotten we were talking to Him when we keep using His name that way.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have seen this take place as well, and I have always tried to avoid it. I have always been impressed with men who when praying you can feel their sincerity. I had an OT seminary professor that was this way. When he prayed he was real, geniune and sincere, and you could literally feel the presense of God come over that room. I looked forward to his classes for that very reason....just too bad I never looked forward to his tests. [​IMG]

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

This reminds me of a Canadian Pastor who came to a couple of our conferences. He opened his prayers with a simple "Father..." and immediately you KNEW he was talking to his FATHER in Heaven. Sent chills up my spine. I'll never forget that service. He preached on the Majesty of our God. And God blessed in an unusual way that night. When Pastor Coulson closed his sermon, he prayed, "Father..." and again you KNEW he was in touch with God. The tenderness, reverance, and "connectedness" of his words move me to this day.

Never shall forget that man.

In HIS service;
    Jim