1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer of Jabez

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by exscentric, Jan 11, 2006.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to beat a dead horse, but just found this in my email - little different angle on things.

'Jabez' Author Quits Africa

Prayer of Jabez author Bruce Wilkinson, who relocated to Africa from his Georgia home in 2002, has quit his ministry focused on defeating HIV/AIDS and retired from active ministry at age 58, according to a Christianity Today story. One turning point was the inability of Swaziland's King Mswati III and Wilkinson to agree on a meeting time in New York to discuss Wilkinson's plan to build homes for aids orphans. A few days after this "perceived snub," Wilkinson told staff at his Dream for Africa organization that he was stepping down and leaving Africa. For months, Wilkinson had negotiated with the Swazi government for permission to launch his African Dream Center. The center would have housed, educated, and fed children whose parents had died of AIDS, while also including a golf course and other tourist attractions. Swaziland, located between Mozambique and South Africa, is one of Africa's smallest nations and has one of the world's highest HIV/AIDS rates.

From Crosswalk news email 1-11-06

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there is one thing a missionary needs (and I assume he was trying to be a missionary here) it is patience. If I had quit the first 50 times I wanted to, I would have left Japan 20 years ago!

I once read it takes 10 years to understand an Asian culture. After ten years in Japan, my wife and I were talking one day and we each said, "I think I've figured these people out!" However long it takes to understand an African culture, my impression is that Wilkinson didn't even try! :rolleyes:

3. bjonson

bjonson New Member

I think Wilkinson needs to get his theology corrected before he attempts any more mission work. I saw him on Larry King fumble on the simplest questions of Christianity.

Plus, his "Jabez" book is just silly.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Super perspective John. We are here 11 years years on the 25th of this month, and we sill don't really have a grasp on this culture.

Ya gotta stick with it - seems like Wilkinson missed that point.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And they speak "English" there, don't they C4K? As my Great Uncle Bill used to say, "If it were easy, everyone would be doing it!"

6. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Let Swaziland take care of their own problems then. I don't blame Wilkinson for his decision.

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I once read it takes 10 years to understand an Asian culture."

We moved to Wyoming and lived in the same town four years and when we left people had just started talking to us [​IMG] -- but for the most part, just hello or good morning [​IMG]

Before we moved, I considered for a moment or two of getting some western shirts and a cowboy hat, but decided not to try to be like them -- few days after moving in I walked into the gas station and on the wall was a large poster of an old and worn cowboy leaning on the bar - a duded up young guy walks in right out of the western clothing store, and the old guy says "I see by your outfit you're a cowboy."

:D

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So you do have an idea of cross cultural missions, exscentric!

9. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't let Dr. Bob see you talking like that [​IMG]

10. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Agree.

11. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

OK, my wife is from OH, and we are no living in South Louisiana (close to where i grew up), and after nearly 2 years she still doesn't understand the culture here...and this is still the US!

My point is, like someone said, it will take patience. William Carey was in India for 7 years before he saw his first convert...and that isn't even mentioning the losses he suffered during that time too.

This just goes to prove that you need to make sure God is leading you and calling you before you jump into something...which is exactly why i am not a youth minister!

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Last year, I had some friends go on the Dream for Africa mission trip. I was hoping to go as well, but being my first year in a new marriage, I was extremely strapped for time. They have nothing but awesome things to report about it. I most definitely plan on going on a future Dream for Africa mission trip, whether Dr Wilkinson is involved or not.

BTW, the story doesn't mention it, but I believe that Wilkinson's son is on the Dream for Africa board. I could be wrong.

Also, note that the story says Dr Wilkinson has retired from active ministry altogether. I suspect that this is not a one-time decision. Likely, he has been planning on retiring from active ministry for at least a short while. Now, it's a bit odd to retire at the relatively young age of 58, but he may very well have a valid personal reason for doing so, such as health or similar reasons we're simply not privy to.

Just some speculative food for thought.

13. bjonson

bjonson New Member

Perhaps he needs to continue praying the prayer of Jabez so that he can remain motivated.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

14. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

excentric! Long time no talk. Was that small town the one I now call home? :D

15. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] Yep.

Has it changed any over fifteen years? [​IMG]

16. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

No it has not but I sure am learning a lot about Gods word and am very greatful that I am able to be here. Mind you it's not for the wind that blows allllll the time. Good talking to you exscentric. bye!