1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer or Medicine?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JerryL, Mar 29, 2008.

1. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Is this criminal to withhold medicine from this girl by her parents?

http://www.startribune.com/nation/17056406.html

#1 JerryL, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2008
  2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Interesting. I will have to read the rest of the article later.

Some people seem to forget that God uses ordinary means to bring out His ends.
    He uses the foolishness of preaching to save souls and He uses medicince to save physical live from premature death.

"faith" rather than medicine is not faith at all.
    It is stupidity.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

After reading the article I noticed that they said that they were not against doctors etc.
    In fact it is only a quote from a sister in law that says they were.

So the point is, I should not make a dogmatic opinion without knowing all the fact of hte specific case.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

The fact that they didn't specifically believe it wrong to use a doctor, will probably be what prosecution hinges on. It's one thing to believe that doctors are a tool of Satan to decieve and distract from the power of God. Yet another thing to simply not take your child to the doctor when it is plain she needs one, because you'd rather pray.

The last smacks of neglect or ignorance or both. Looking at this mornings coverage and seeing the nice home they lived in, I'm thinking ignorance wasn't the problem. They made the concience decision to not seek medical help for a child who was too sick to walk. That my friends is criminal neglect. They can claim religion all they want, but it doesn't stand in my book.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I tend to agree with you in principle.
    The only thing I would caution you about is making dogmatic assumptions about motive.

Some people just don't go to the doctor all the time.
    But if they knew she needed a doctor and still didn't take her, then they were at fault.

I am just not going to pass judgement on the family based on a single article.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Dale, I'm not actually passing judgement on a single article. This story has been all over the media. I've read several, including one on MSNBC that included quotes from the family.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I see. THis was the first I have heard about it.

Have they quoted the parents actually saying they just prayed rather than taking her to the doctor?

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

God has blessed us with medicine and views the use of medicine as a providential answer to prayer.

Even Timothy was instructed by Paul to use wine for its medicinal properties (1 Tim 5:23).

So I don't see it as an either/or but as a both and: Medicine and Prayer.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

IN practical terms:
    Pray and take your medicine
    PRay that the medicine will be effective.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. Scripture states that whoever doesn't provide for their children is worse than an infidel. Proper medical treatment falls under that category.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ahhh! And that God will providentially work through the medicine.

12. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I posed this same question on another baptist board. I'm proud to see the sensible responses here at the BB. The other board gave a lot of off the wall posts and one poster even said that the government has NO right to do anything to prosecute (or at least get involved in) these parents for endangering this girl. He even went on to say that he honestly believed there was a special place in hell for social workers. We seem to have more sensible people here.:thumbs:

#12 JerryL, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  13. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

We forget that God himself used medicine to heal sickness:
    Moses' tree in the springs of Mara (Herbal remedy)
    Hyssop on the sores of Hezekiah (also herbal)
    Elijah's 'death in the pot' ?
    Paul required the daily attention of a physician, who was also the writer of Luke and Acts.
    Jesus said they that are sick need a physician (Matthew 9:22), didn't he?
    God also references the 'healing balm of Gilead' and Laodicea's 'eyesalve.'
    Funny thing, he never said anything against using medicine...

As to a particular circumstance in which a parent feels led to refuse treatment? I hope she is right, or it will destroy scriptural credibility, legislate the freedom for others to make that choice, and show her to be looney. I have a hard time thinking that it would ever be God's will for a child to die when there is medical treatment available...

In my family, I have prayerfully considered whether to take a prescription or a natural alternative, with the final (difficult) decision to go naturally (and with great results). But if my child were in a coma, or threatened with death, with resources available--?

#13 Rubato 1, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008