1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BrandonA, Oct 10, 2015.

1. BrandonA

BrandonA New Member

So the "Denominations" thread started going this direction and I didn't want to be the forum noob who drags a whole thread off topic.

Prayer. What are your beliefs on it? How have you found it to be effective in your life? Are you one of those people that believes we just pray in whatever manner and God sorts it out? Or do you follow specific strategies and patterns in prayer? ("War Room" gave a few basics, e.g. the difference between praying and simply griping).

• Like Like x 1
  2. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

I agree with what Reformed said. Very well said. The bible says pray without ceasing, make your requests and supplications be made known to God. Also we are supposed to intercede for others, which means we pray for other people who can't pray for themselves or need help.

• Like Like x 1
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also agree with Reformed's post.

• Like Like x 1
  4. StFrancis

StFrancis Member

You have to set your minds to praying before you can pray. Know what you are praying about and believe in your prayers. I personally don't like praying in public. I like praying in my private room so that I can concentrate on prayers. We should teach our children how to pray so that they can know the benefits of prayers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe prayer to be the WEAPON through which we win spiritual wars, bring down stronbgholds and more importantly, move tha arm of God! Prayer without ceasing is a must for a believer and the church!

#5 righteousdude2, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member

I am torn with prayer. I want to say that I believe that it is beneficial and that prayer works, but at the same time I feel that it is just a nice thing to do and empowers us. I believe that we are the change we want to see, so if we want things to change we are going to have to change them ourselves. Some things are beyond our control.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

I absolutely believe in the power of prayers. Well, I don't really use/follow any kind of strategy in praying. Whenever I pray, it's just like having a casual conversation with God. As for me, praying really does work as God has already answered some of my prayers. But let's keep in mind that God doesn't respond to wants and needs, He responds to faith.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I think people must pray because they want, and are compelled to do so. Just praying because you want something or because you are told to do so is a waste of time.

God of course listens to all prayers, and doenst judge the reasons you want and need to talk to him, but praying should be because you want to have a moment close to him, not just fit it in because you have to.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow .... your response is another reason to read Rev. 3:14-22. The church is lukewarm today because it has developed the mindset that some things are 'just' out of our control? What do you pray for? Just the things you know are in your control???

Again, your response amazes me, but it is no big surprise. I would never come to you for prayer.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have seen prayer change things and I have seen prayer change me. I know for sure God answers prayer and when it seems He doesn't, there is a greater vision that I don't see that I need to understand God does. I've seen Him heal my daughter within hours of prayer (and what a testimony to some of the best surgeons in the country!!) and I've seen Him change my husband's heart regarding an issue that I felt God's call to and he didn't.

If I never spoke to my husband, we'd have a pretty lousy relationship and it is the same with prayer. Without spending time communicating with the Almighty God, we cannot grow in our relationship with Him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Reformed and Ann pretty well covered my thoughts.

12. BrandonA

BrandonA New Member

There are things that we don't need to pray about, such as helping those in need (James 2).

There are also things that are only under God's control, but he seems to wait until we pray. He seems to desire such a relationship, a partnering between us and him (the senior partner, of course). Otherwise, God's commands to pray make little sense. He wants to do a lot more in this world, things that don't fall into the category of "things I can fix with my own hands", and honestly we give up too easily and fall back to our "well, he must have had some higher purpose in that" category. At least, that's how I'm starting to see things.