1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Praying for others

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Bizarre to the human finite mind? Sure, I don't have a problem with that. Why do you think we should be able to understand all the things of God?

Here is what we know from Scripture:
    God is ultimately behind all things:
    Romans 11:36 For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.

It is pretty hard for us to escape the "all things" that come from, through, and to God.

God does not tempt man with sin.
    James 1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.

Man is responsible for his sin:
    Too many verse to list here, but start with Rev 20 where man is thrown in hell because of them. Other verses that would take this whole page could be offered.

I think the problem is that those who reject the Bible's teaching (that later become known as Calvinism) and God's ultimate authority have a box that God won't fit in but they won't change the box. God does not fit into your conceptions of what you think is possible. We are to submit ourselves to his revelation, even if we don't quite understand it. You can't force God to fit in your box.

Also, it is necessary to understand distinctions between ultimate and secondary causation, or mediate and immediate, or one of hte other kinds of distinctions that are made.

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry
    That would include the box built by Mr. Calvin. Do you really stand by your assertion that Calvinism and 'the Bible's teaching' are synonymous?

Anyway, back on topic: To paraphrase C.S. Lewis - I do not pray to change God. I pray so that God may change me.

3. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

It seems so easy when one can just say, "Oh, it's a mystery; you'll never figure it out."

Including the giving of free will?

So your position is that sin came from God and sin comes through God? How is this a Biblical position?

But there's still a huge disparity here, and I'm not sure why it's not incredibly obvious. The logical result is that God created man and made him sin and this creation has to burn in an eternal state of Hell because of what God decided from the beginning - that he was going to make man sin.

Come on, Larry, you know that just as many people in the world would say that the Bible's teaching later became known as Arminianism or fill-in-the-blank. Saying so doesn't make it so.

4. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

On the general teachings of salvation, yes. I am speaking of Calvinism broadly, not the individual quirks that some have.

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Actually, that is hard because of our human desire for answers. But God is infinite and has chosen not to reveal that to us. Over and over again in Scripture we see things that we humanly cannot understand ... things like the God-Man. Do you bail out on the deity of Christ because you can't fully understand how Christ is both fully God and fully man? Or how about the Trinity? Do you bail out on the Trinity becuase you can't understand it? Probably not ... the question is Why do you accept a mystery there but not here? Isn't that inconsistent on your part?

Absolutely. Part of hte image of God in man is free will. Man has free will jsut like God does (with obvious limitations of power.) Ask yourself this: Does God have free will? Of course, the answer is Yes. Now ask, Can God do anything at all? The answer is no; he cannot sin. So is God's free will not really free because there is something he can't do? Of course not. What we see is what free will really is. Free will is the ability to do anything consistent with our nature. All men have free will ... they can do whatever they like. That is why there are sinful and rebellious against God. Only when God changes their nature can do be different.

Because the Bible says that all things are from God, and through God, and to God. I don't make it up, Scott. I just preach what it says. I don't fully understand it. I don't have to. I do have to be faithful to it. It is certainly not an easy question. But I don't think we should bail out on it because it doesn't suit our sensibilities.

Well, the "logical result" might not be the biblical result. Secondly, who cares? If God saw fit to do that, then he gets to do that, and to quote God himself, Who are you to question him?

In the lapsarian views, I am an infra: Create man permit sin provide atonement elect individuals. But when man goes to hell, it is only his own fault. God is not making him sin. He is doing what comes naturally to him; he is doing exactly what he wants to do. At any time he so desires, or to use the biblical term--wills--at any time sinful man is willing he may believe and be saved. He is kept from God and salvation only by his own sinfulness.

Exactly ... that is why we must carefully study the issue. When I did that, I became a Calvinist, not because I liked the name. In fact, I don't like it. But it is the name given to the doctrines taught by Scripture. The Arminian side just has too many problem verses they can't deal with. That is why I switched. I got tired of not being able to answer questions and explain verses.

Actually you are incorrect. God has enough power to allow his creation to choose or reject him. He lets man operate by his own free will. Once again, we see the ugly head of misunderstanding rearing up.

I don't see any reason why that is the case. I see plenty of biblical evidence that it is not the case. When you read the theologians on this topic, you will very easily see why your assertion doesn't work.

7. ScottEmerson

There's a contradiction in your views, Larry. Did God cause the fall or permit the fall. If the fall was only "permitted," then Romans 11:36 doesn't mean "all." The verse would have to say something like, "For from Him and through Him and to Him and permitted by Him are all things." johnp is consistent in saying that God caused the fall of man, so one has to give him that. Either God is the first cause for EVERYTHING, or Romans 11:36 doesn't say what you say it says.

I've read many theologians, including Calvin himself, and Calvinism has way too many glaring holes for my liking.

8. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello ScottEmerson.
    Yes but you don't have to keep reminding everybody! :cool:
    Maybe so but at least our boat floats! More than the sieve the Arminians use.HaHa. Our holes are above the water line, we believe our God is Sovereign.

johnp.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Paedobaptism is not an issue of Calvinism with respect to soteriology. Remember, Calvinism per se deals with salvation. It is generally not used to describe the whole of Calvin's thoughts, but merely the issues of soteriology.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I think absolutely that God is the ultimate cause (didn't I already say that several times??). That doesn't mean man isn't responsible or that God is responsible for sin. You are interchanging ideas with way too much liberty heere. But ultimate cause and secondary cause are not the same thing. These distinctions are vital and valid. Aren't you a PhD student? I thought you said once upon a time you were but I may have that confused. I am surprised that someone at the PhD level doesn't know these distinctions. Of course, I take all that back if I am thinking of someone else.

"For your liking" being the key phrase. I haven't read Calvin. My views on soteriology were drawn from Scripture and then later buttressed by men like Murray, Hodge, Piper, and others. Remember that Scripture is not a full systematic theology book of God. There are going to be some holes, by nature of revelation and by nature of God. THere is no way that finite man can understand God. Remember the examples I gave? I could give. Think about his omnipresence ... He is everywhere all at one time ... and all of God is everywhere all at one time. And he doesn't move to get there. Or his omniscience that renders all things certain. Whether you agree with the "cause" argument, you have to agree that he certainly knew that Adam would fall and by virtue of his infallible knowledge, there was no chance that Adam was not going to fall. These are things that are confusing to our minds. It shows that our God is truly worthy of our worship.

11. ScottEmerson

If God is the ultimate cause of man's sin, then man fails to be ultimately responsible for man's son. According to your system, God forces man to receive the punishment of an eternal Hell because of a decision God made that man could do absolutely nothing about. Man had no possible chance of accepting God, and each one not elect bears the brunt of a God who designed him specifically for Hell.

This is basic logic - I'm not exchanging ideas at all. Just because you (and others) have invented an idea of "secondary cause" in order to allow God not to be responsible for sin, such a concept cannot logically follow. Either God is the ultimate cause or he's not.

Now, if God were to ultimately set up a system whereby man had a truly free choice to accept or reject, then God is both ultimately causal and man is ultimately responsible. That is the ONLY way that responsibility and causation can co-exist, logically AND scripturally speaking.

I've read plenty of Piper and see the holes in his argument as well. I don't have a problem with omnipresence, and omniscience does not logically conclude that man can or cannot choose, I reject that premise wholeheartedly.

God is indeed worthy of our worship - worship that you and I choose (or not choose) to give to Him. What an amazing Savior who allows his children to choose or reject the incredible gift of salvation!

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Scott,

Man is responsible for his sin. Period. God does not force man to recieve punishment. Man chooses to reject God. HE doesn't want to. You are constructing straw men. Listen ... EVery calvinist believes that whosoever will believe in Christ will be saved.

God is the ultimate cause, if you want to put it that way. But in your position, you will have to explian how you leave something out of "all things." That makes no sense. I don't understand why you would deny the revelation of God to satisfy your own logical constructions.

With respect to omniscience, if you don't understand the issue of God's knowledge and certainity, then you need to think some more. Think of it this way by answering this questions:

Did God know before creation that ADam would sin? If you answer no, then God is not omniscient, since he doesn't know all things. If you answer yes, then Adam had to sin; there was no other option except proving God's knowledge wrong .. in which cases see response to "no" answer.

If you have read Piper or any other calvinist and come to the conclusion that they are teaching that man cannot choose God, then you aren't reading carefully. We believe man can choose. He can choose whatever he wants to do.

You have constructed your conclusion about worship out of a man made idea. It did not arise from Scripture, and that is the danger of your position. It is not based on Scripture. You have constructed your idea of "cause" and "responsibility," "choosing" etc, rather than accepting what Scripture says about it.

BTW, was I wrong about you being a PhD student? Was that someone else?

13. ScottEmerson

But a choice that is forced upon someone by a divine magistrate is NO CHOICE at all. Calvinists believe that the only ones who have a chance at believing are those whom God does not pass over.

God created the rules of the cosmic game. The Spirit draws all men, according to the Scriptures. He died for all men, according to the Scriptures. All who choose Him will be saved, according to the Scriptures. Those who do not choose Him will be punished, according to the Scriptures.

God know how Adam would choose. His prescience was based upon Adam's free will choice. Remember God is not bound by our time - He sees the end from the beginning. Thus, Adam, you, me, and all of humanity has a truly free choice which God knows, yet the choice is still free. Again, His rules that He created.

Incorrect. According to Calvinist doctrine, it is IMPOSSIBLE for a non-elect to choose God. Impossible. It is IMPOSSIBLE for an elect to not choose God. Do you disagree with either of these two statements?

Scripture says that man alone is responsible for his sins. Scripture teaches us that God can call punishment upon a nation and that nation can repent and be spared His punishment. God says that those who follow Him will worship in Spirit and in Truth. Nowhere in Scripture do we see a cosmic dictator who forces salvation on people or damns those to Hell those who haven't been selected.

And it is quite ironic that you, who spouts off ideas such as "secondary causation," neither attempt to define it nor show how Scripture so clearly represents it.

It was me, until I accepted a call into student ministry. So, I've got a year of doctoral school under my belt, and a non-seminary master's degree. I'll be going to NOBTS (the Orlando extension) as soon as my wife graduates nursing school.)

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It is not forced. IT is free will.

All true, except for the first statement, which is true with qualification. The often used proof text of JOhn 12:32 clearly references all kinds of men (Jews and Greeks), not all men individually. The rest is certainly true, and there is work of conviction on the unbeliever as well.

Assuming that is true (which has its problems), it means that Adam had no real choice. What if he changed his mind? Furthermore, if God was loving and omnipotent, and knew that Adam would fall with the result that most of humanity would go to hell, then why didn't God do something to change it. You run into all kinds of problems with this view, and you still don't absolve God of "responsibility." He could have done something and didn't. And Adam had no choice to change his mind.

15. ScottEmerson

It is not forced. IT is free will.</font>[/QUOTE]It is a will that is in bondage, not a free will. That needs to be made clear. Calvinists calling a will free doesn't mean "free."

All true, except for the first statement, which is true with qualification. The often used proof text of JOhn 12:32 clearly references all kinds of men (Jews and Greeks), not all men individually. The rest is certainly true, and there is work of conviction on the unbeliever as well. </font>[/QUOTE]There are several instances in which the Bible is quite clear that all men (not all kinds of men, sadly enough for the Calvinist position) will be drawn, including John 1:9 as well. The fact that people go about changing the focus of "all" is, well, somewhat of a shame.

Assuming that is true (which has its problems), it means that Adam had no real choice. What if he changed his mind? Furthermore, if God was loving and omnipotent, and knew that Adam would fall with the result that most of humanity would go to hell, then why didn't God do something to change it. You run into all kinds of problems with this view, and you still don't absolve God of "responsibility." He could have done something and didn't. And Adam had no choice to change his mind.</font>[/QUOTE]Had Adam changed his mind, God would have known the end from the beginning.

Then your "free will" is not truly free at all, but a "forced" will.

And yet God's decretive will was that people be damned to Hell. Oh, wait, what about "God is not willing that any should perish." So we have to have the preceptive will of God there...

And nowhere do you see that in Calvinism. Which makes it convenient. We can just do away with that idea ... Hardly anyone believes it.</font>[/QUOTE]But that is exactly what Calvinism is. Those who have been passed over have absolutely no chance of going to Heaven. None at all. God created them to send them to everlasting torment.

I didn't know you needed me to. Secondary causation would be something like the flood or an earthquake. God judged man but did it through nature. It would be something like DAvid's sin of numbering the people. It is also seen in David's numbering of the people. 2 Sam 24:1 attributes it to God's moving on David. 1 Chron 21:1 attributes it to Satan. Quite clearly, it was God working through Satan. More examples could be given.</font>[/QUOTE]See, God is actually doing it. Even if Satan is credited for it, God ultimately caused it from the beginning. Had not ultimately caused it, it would not have happened. In your way of thinking, how is Satan responsible for his own actions; God ultimately is to blame for the fall of man.

To the Calvinst, every human thought, decision, and subsequent action has, by definition, already been determined by God's sovereign will. As a Giants' pitcher once said, "The loss was God's will."

"The reality is that God does not cause graduate school rejections, school failures, insufficient funds, unemployment, or starvation - people do." - R.G. Basinger.

In Calvinism, how can it be true that God really does not want humans to sin and suffer?

16. johnp.

johnp. New Member

ScottEmerson.

The question is skewed. You must admit that if God did not in some way want humans, angels or Himself to suffer He did not need to start the mess off in the first place did He? :cool:
    He knew what would happen and created anyway.

How do you deal with that?

You are bought you do not belong to yourself. Free will is negated by coercion. Vote for me or go to Hell is coercion and it negates your god.

johnp.

17. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Larry;
    But if God took mans moral ability and made it so he could only respond in one direction because of his morality. Then he didn't have a choice. There is no freewill, If God regenerates man so that he can believe with out his permission first. This then it is a forced Salvation. There is no way around it.
    You say man has freewill to choose then you turn around and state that man will only choose what he is morally capable of.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

18. johnp.

johnp. New Member

ILUVLIGHT.

The will is free if it allows you to do what you want. How can the will be free if it able to decide to do what you don't want to do?
    Romans 8:7 the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.

johnp.

19. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi JohnP;
    This isn't God's Law. It's an invitation.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Not to mention that I do a lot of things I don't want to do.

May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

20. johnp.

johnp. New Member

He's just calling a certain section of the sheep in this way in Matthew.
    Elsewhere it is a command. A requirement. A law.
    JN 6:28 Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
    JN 6:29 Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

johnp.