1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Praying for salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Feb 20, 2007.

1. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Is it Biblical to pray to God to regenerate someone? Say, a family member or co-worker? Do our prayers actually effect whether or not this person will be saved?

I have prayed most of my life for God's salvation for my brother and dad, and I am just wondering whether or not my prayers can help regenerate them.

It seems like either theological worldview, Calvinism or Arminianism says no.. Calvinism, the elect get saved anyway so no point to pray to God to save someone, because it is not in God's plan to save all, and thus if I am praying for God to save my brother, my brother may not be elect and so it would be actually a prayer against God's will... Arminianism, everyone has a free will to choose God, no divine initiative, so therefor, prayers would not aid in salvation, since ultimatley salvation lies on what THEY do with the grace offered to them.

I hope this makes sense. I am looking forward to the great responses,
    Andy

#1 christianyouth, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

You have a couple things wrong. Those who hold to the biblical teaching that man has a free will to repond to God do not in fact follow Arminian. This accusation is false and a pajorative used by those who hold to regeneration before salvation.

Dear youth do not allow some of the conversation you read on this board to influence you. To refer to someone as a "Calvinist" or an "Arminian" is in direct conflict with the Word of God. Paul asked:

3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

We are not to be of men but only of Christ. The men Paul was questioning were followers of the teachings of these men. When we refer to a Christian as a "Calvanist" or "Arminian" it is a division that is ungodly because it points men toward men and not Christ. Calvin taught one thing, Arminius another but the only man we are to be of is the "Son of Man" Jesus Christ.

The other misperception you have is that those who hold to the Biblcial position that man has freee will to respond to God do so without any initiative from God. This is not a correct characterization. Man cannot come to God unless God Calls him (John 6:64, Matt 22:14). Unless God opens His eyes he cannot see or understand what is spiritual ( 1 Cor 2:14). God calls man and gives Him the opportunity to recieve Him (Matt 19:16-22). But many men reject Him (Matt 22:14). Christ died for the sins of the whole world (John 3:16). And those who answer the call and believe on Him He gives the authority to be the sons of God (John 1:12). Even in the midst of all this the credit and glory is God's alone (John 1:13) for unless the Son of God died and God revealed himself to us in our hearts we could not come to Him.

As far as praying for the lost if you do you will follow in the footsteps and example of Paul:

Romans 1;10
    Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

3. christianyouth

Sorry, I hope I did not stir up that age old debate. I am just taking each theological postulate to its natural end.

The question is this, if man has free-will to accept or reject, as you have stated, then how can a prayer I say aid in their regeneration?

I do not see any basis for Paul making that claim, that he prays for others, considering in Romans he quotes the book of Exodus with 'as it is written, I will have mercy upon whom I have mercy and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion' , it just seems self-contradictory from my standpoint.Perhaps this is just immaturity.

- Andy

4. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Hello Brother. Calvinist believe that God ordainded prayer as one of the means of accomplishing His purpose in salvation. God not only ordained that so and so would get saved, but He also ordained that we would pray that so and so would get saved. It is a wonderful privilege to be a tool in which God will use to bring His elect to faith. It is not only a privilege but a responsibility. And don't forget to pray for God's will to be done. If we do that, then we have done what God has put us here to do. We glorify God and share the good news. Grace and peace.

5. christianyouth

Thank you! :thumbs:

This makes sense.

God Bless,
    Andy