1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Praying in the name of Jesus

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Salty, May 14, 2006.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friday evening I attended the MADISON County CONSERVATIVE (political) Party Spring Dinner. I was asked to give the Invocation and benediction. When the Chairman proposed the ideal to me, I only had two request: 1) I would not "read" a prayer (though I did jot down a few notes) and I would end my prayer in the "name of Jesus Christ". John told me it was my call. PTL! [​IMG]

Thus it got me wondering, has anybody else been in such a situation? If you were instucted, or "highly recommended" to "READ A PRAYER" and/or not to pray in the name of Jesus, what would you do. :confused:
    If you are not a pastor, and you happened to attend the same function, and you pastor did not pray in the name of Jesus and/or read a prayer, what would be you thoughts. :rolleyes:

Salty

ps, how could I pass this up, there was so much food, I thought it was group of Baptist :D ! and best of all, I did not have to pay due to my "services" [​IMG]

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If I was asked to read a prayer. I would search hard for a prayer that said what I wanted to say and I would memorize it so it would not sound like it was read.

If I were asked to not pray in Jesus name, I would decline the invitation.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same for me. If I can't do it in the name of Jesus, I'm not doing it.

Col. 3:17--And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I was to co-officiate the wedding with a Methodist minister. The minister asked me not to mention the name of Jesus in the ceremony or in prayer. I gently told the minister that, as a Christian minister it would be rather difficult for me to avoid mentioning Jesus. To make a long story short, I prayed in "Jesus' name" and mentioned Christ when I thought appropriate. I must hold my convictions, but I must do so in a way that honors The One who gave them.

6. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Sorry, He tells us to ask in His name, so that is what I will do.