1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Praying to receive Christ, evangelism questions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by zrs6v4, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

John, this post and others in this thread contain gold nuggets of perspective that I had never seen before. Particularly your comments on Acts 10:14, "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?"

I'm convinced that God will save sinners who cry out to him for mercy. But throughout the New Testament, the exhortation, starting with John the Baptist, is "repent" or "believe." In one interesting passage, Paul's sermon on Mars Hill in Acts 17, Paul's exhortation to the Greek philosophers is that God "commands all men everywhere to repent." (v.30). The response of some listeners was to "believe" (v.34).

So we who are witnesses may counsel a sinner to ask God for salvation. But I'm afraid it is often corrupted into "say these words." Magic words, which carry the power to get saved. We reinforce that distortion by following it up with "if you prayed that prayer, and really-really-really meant it, I declare you saved, and don't you doubt it."

After determining where he is spiritually, and testing his understanding, and after laying the groundwork of pointing the lost one to Christ, what about simply asking, "do you believe this? Do you desire trust Christ and him alone for your salvation. Do you trust him?"

If the answer is "yes," that's all you need to hear. The next step is to point him to baptism as a public confession of that salvation, based on his "yes."

In another post you said:
    I agree, and add this: The Holy Spirit not only convicts, but also illuminates, and opens the heart and mind to understand.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you realize I mean a little bit more than just tell them the Gospel. I mean actually inviting them to salvation and then following up. So you say, "Wouldn't you like to be saved?" And if they say, "Well I don't know," you say, "Why not?" If they say, "I think I want to," you say, "Why don't you do it right now? "You try to get them to accept Christ as Savior right then. This is what I mean by an invitation in personal evangelism.

I don't mean manipulate them into a prayer if they don't mean it, but then I also don't mean just say, "I hope you get saved," and leave it. I mean actually inviting and pressing them to become saved. Paul said, "Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences" (2Co 5:11 ). He actually tried to persuade people, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to be saved.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is so important!! The question is, what do we care more about? Our personal evangelism, or the lost soul? If we care about our personal evangelism, we run the sinner through the Gospel and get him to pray without seeing if he means it or not. If we actually care about the person's soul, we will take nothing for granted, but ask further even if they have prayed. A number of times in my ministry I've prayed with someone and then asked if they really meant it. I've had people say straight out, "No!" Others have said, "I'm not sure," or, "I don't think I understood it all." Then I've dealt with them further.

Amen! As the old hymn says, "All is vain unless the Spirit of the Holy One comes down." ("Brethren We Have Met to Worship").

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear zrs6v4, you said

Jesus said
    Matthew 18:12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?

I believe your life bears witness to His words.

HankD​

5. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

yea I guess this is whats hard for me at this point, I want every lost soul I meet to be saved and I beleive God does to, but I just don't understand how I can give that person a choice to be saved then or not? I know its possible but its like I dont know what to tell them. I am not gettting something here, If someone said yes to you, that they wanted to be saved. What might you say? if they said yes and God had mercy wouldnt He save them right then which would already be salvation and their hearts would already begin to walk with God? I know in evangelism we must keep it simple but true. So then Im guessing you would say a prayer with them to ensure that salvation is already been done? My point is, that if they were saved, would it really matter if they wanted to, because it would already be done while your speaking in Spirit?

I have had numerous times where I cared so deeply for the people I was speaking to it seemed as if all I could do is just preach the good news to them and instill it that God loves and wants everyone to be saved and to be with Him. It is weird at those times of speaking because I have gotten through to people that just typically dont listen and its like while speaking you feel them out and speak to what it is they are dealing with and turn it into a message.. I know its more than just telling them about Jesus, but it mainly is turning it into a message to them from Jesus.. which is what happens in a true witness it seems. Then after words you go to the nearest bathroom and get on your knees for them asking that God do whatever it is for them that they need, to know Him..

But yea you definetly dont want to put a false conviction on them in saying, I hope you dont die and go to hell today, becasue that wouldnt bring them to Jesus, who is the Savior rather, they would seem to focus on heaven and be even more blinded from Jesus. any comments? I beleive the more time you spend personally with God yourself the greater your witness naturally becomes in Spirit.

I do in fact see what you are saying with prayer but I guess my main question is above in that how can we ask someone if they want to be saved when its not up to them at all? again Jesus loves them beyond comprehension, but it seems they almost cant be focused on going to heaven, but rather Jesus. Its almost like a marriage to me, when you get married you dont do it for the benefits or pleasures, rather the love of the bride which all those things follow. does this make any sense...

#25 zrs6v4, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the answers to all of your questions are in the filling and leading of the Holy Spirit. Are you filled with the Holy Spirit? Right now? When you witness to someone? Are you led by the Spirit when you witness to someone? Then you don't have to wonder all of these things. The Holy Spirit will lead you and help you say what you should.

But it is up to them to be saved. So therefore we should ask them. Look at the end of the Book again where it says in Rev., 22:17, "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." We are to tell them to come, they are to come freely if they want to. It is not up to us to decide who we want to invite to Jesus. We are commanded to give the Gospel to everyone in the entire world (Mark 16:15). Any time we think, "I'll ask this person to be saved, but not that person," we are putting ourselves in the place of the Holy Spirit.

God commands--not recommends, not requests--us to tell others to come to Christ. "Let him that heareth (that's us who are believers) say come." You either invite people to trust Christ as Savior or you are disobedient to Christ, it is as simple as that.

7. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I would never want to turn anyone down at any point in sharing Christ with them, and letting them know at any point they can trust Him and give it all. I agree and this is what astounds me with the gospel, that we can make it really simple, or make it really hard and deep. The truth is that it is simple to just lead anyone to Christ as the Holy Spirit leads you. You simply cannot plan for those times and words becasue they will come to you in that hour.

Back to repeating my main point in all of this after some thought and being open minded to views. I really dont understand how one can say its 100% God and then another say its a 100% choice, when its really both at the same time.. As I said above, God only understands how that works, how He makes things from nothing, and how he can be with everything and everyone at once in heaven in Jesus at the same time, already knowing the future while letting unfold perfectly. It blows my mind and I think what you are trying to say is to just accept it all and just give it up to Him..

I hope you see my point and please don't think I am refuting you because I respect the fact that you have lived it much longer than I have and seen much more, but does my point make sense at all?

Lastly, dont understand fully what you mean by "trusting" Christ as savior, could you please explain it further. My friend Nick said He trusted Christ as savior a week ago and I spoke to him shortly praising God's grace the other night and he said oddly so does this mean I am not saved (I didnt say anything really, but he was having doubts obviously).... My point is I think you mean trust Christ died for you on the cross and payed for your sins. So if you doubt does that mean you dont trust Him anymore, because we all have doubts as sinners? Please explain if you dont mind.. thanks again and I can say I have had many doubts but they dont stop me from pushing on and dont begin to make me want to stop serving although they do cause you to stumble.

8. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

John, I do beleive grace is much greater than all our sin including doubts, disbeleif, struggle, work, and any negative thing that may go into your mind. As I said I have had many doubts and negative thoughts in trying to learn about Christ, but I beleive He keeps pulling me through and protecting me much more than I can imagine. Because of grace this is what is going to lead me into heaven no matter if I doubt it at times or what due to feelings or whatever it may be.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

zrs, I think if you want more discussion on this (and you have another thread where you ask some of the same questions), and want to ask more questions about witnessing, maybe you should go to the missions, witnessing and evangelism thread under the Baptist Fellowship Forum. You might get more input there than here on the debate forums.

Or maybe a moderator can move this thread there?

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I see your point, and you are making sense.

My favorite passage on trust is still Prov. 3:5-6, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." This passage says that trust is with the whole heart, it is done without understanding completely, it is realizing that it is God Who does it and not we ourselves.

Trusting Christ as Savior is the sinner letting go of their own efforts to save themself, casting self on Christ for salvation. It is not understanding everything, and knowing that it is not necessary to understand everything. A child trusts his parents for protection from the big bad world. A patient trusts the surgeon to fix what's wrong with his body. A bride trusts her groom that he will love her until death. Trust in Christ as Savior is like all of these, but differs in that Christ never fails, though parents can fail to protect a child, the doctor can take out the wrong kidney, and a man can stop loving his wife. But Jesus never fails. :jesus:

11. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

yea thats cool with me, and sorry the threads just keep turning into the same thing, hah.. Ill keep that in mind though about the witnessing forum

12. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Yes, thats exactly what I hoped you were going to say, for whatever reason trusting Christ as savior seemed to come across the wrong way to me. It sounds like trusting Him only as savior to be saved. What it means is trusting Him as savior and life and all things not by words only, but by action, and change of heart towards Him and life. This is what I meant in previous posts when I said we must trust Him with our everything, our lives, despite feelings or thoughts just givng our all (our trust) in His hands. This also is pretty my testimony in different words. It seems as if people just try to get people saved and not to surrender their lives, by saying a prayer which is not understood, and then saying go on your way. They pretty much say thats the end of the road b/c now your saved, when really its only the beginning, and it is really simple to just trust God in all of it no matter what knowing He is your life.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may have misunderstood me. I don't believe you have to change anything to be saved, or can be saved no matter what you change. God changes you through regeneration. But you have to trust that He is the only one able to do that. Being born again means exactly that: you start out life again as a spiritual baby, able finally to live spiritually.

I oppose what is called "Lordship salvation," the view that you have to consciously accept Christ as Lord as well as Savior. Stick around and you'll see threads on that on the BB.

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

zach...

There's this haunting doubt in your mind about being saved but not living as one should. Do you know what this shows? It shows that there are 2 distinct decisions to be made: 1) to trust Christ as Savior and 2) to trust Christ as Lord.

We should begin to see the first decision as once-for-eternity "justification" of our soul and the second as progressively-throughout-this-life "sanctification" of our spirits. And the reason they are separate is that Christ is going to take control of your life after salvation only so long as you relinquish control to Him. Read 1Cor 15:29-40 and see where the Corinthians were very much this way in not believing that they were "new creations" in Christ! "If we are dead in Christ," they asked, " with what body are we raised from baptism?"

You, like they did, initially took the attitude "let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we die," right? Their justifcation was full and complete but sanctification was only just beginning! They had to realize that "thou sowest not that body that shall be,..."
    but that God would give them a new body/life according to His pleasure as we grow in Him! And He gives us each different lives/paths to live. Some people, when they realize this, will "rededicate" their lives, not to be saved again but to make Him truly Lord of their lives.

So when this becomes an issue for you or those whom you are trying to disciple, make sure you point this out to them. There are, for instance, many who think they will embark on their "sanctification life" who have not prayed for justification/reconciliation with God. They believe that God is gradually going to save them or that God has justifyingly chosen them without their input or choice in the matter. Both of these courses can have the "form" of salvation without the actual "substance" of salvation to begin with. Both are "slippery slopes" to them wondering whether they are really saved or not. Both Paul (Heb 6) and Peter (2Pet 1) tell us we needn't revisit our decision if we prayed for justification. Instead, they say, we need to move forward in spiritual growth, which is sanctification.

What does the "sanctifing life" look like? It looks like "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you." It means knowing God's word so you can know His way. It means praying for His will in our lives because He doesn't give it to those who will not to receive it (this is the part that many find daunting -- trusting God regardless of how He might answer!). Here's when scriptures like this come to mind: "I have come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly." We can trust that! "I know the plans I have for you. Plans for your blessing..." But you can't enter into this life with "self" as Lord.

skypair

#34 skypair, Sep 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  15. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Im learning, so you beleive I trusted Christ at age 11 when I prayed asking Him for forgiveness? I knew then He was the only way and I can say I never would have doubted that ever since then that He was the only way. I never was discipled I guess if that was the case and I also doubted my salvation numerous times not that I doubted Him I dont think. This also disturbed me as I "rededicated my life" b/c I didnt know if I missed something after deciding to make Him "Lord" of my life, due to hearing stories that were disturbing. I agree that Jesus was on my mind here and there and I knew what I was doing was wrong. I can say He was not the Lord of my life until recently.

So to some this up someone can, by trusting that Jesus as savior alone, be saved? So basically once they realize Jesus is alone the only way to heaven, beleiving and trusting that will save them and of course if they want to confess it with their mouths, they may.

16. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I numbered your statements to make this easier to talk it out

1- is this directed to me or an opening statement?

2- I agree all the way.

3- I am guessing you are talking about when I was 11 or 22? I also understand rededication and that this is an option that may have happened to me. This is what I thought was happening when I, 9 months ago, repented and turned to Christ.

4- yea their views are off, God is one time forever and He is willing for whoever comes to Him. I can see how that would be a destructive view that you will never live up to because one you'll never be at peace and the second is that this would mean God shows favoritism, which He does not.

5- Yea that is exactly what I began to go through 9 months ago.

17. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

So John and Skypair, are you to disagreeing? one says you can't enter salvation without making Christ Lord and the other says you can be saved without Jesus being Lord?

I dont know what to say, but all I know is that I was 100% helpless and fell on Jesus dorr step whther a prodigal or lost. this is the parable that seems to stick to me along with many others of what happened to me (below). I again am convinced that when your heart is turned by God due to helplessness and self-realization and you throw yourself on Him you get rescued by Jesus and He gives you a new life. There are so many different theories, variables, and variations to how someone comes to Christ. But I beleive this is what defines my life.

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, when a man finds it, in his joy, he goes out and sells ALL his things and buys that field.

This to me is self explanatory, and also implies you making Jesus #1 in your life along with for the first time ever honoring the greatest commandment of loving God.

This also says you are trusting Christ, giving your life to Christ, turning to Him, losing your life and gaining life, etc...

I am not saying to be saved you have to sell all of your things and do this or that, but when you come to the end of your ropes and dont know your needs and are helpless at the cross, you are rescued and you see God like never before, so you out of joy give all you have to Him, begin to honor and love and do all things for Him out of joy and trust in His promises. You are a new servant and you want yuor whole life to be for Him. You have no idea whats going on other than you are trusting Christ and just going with it and hungering for righteousness and to learn more about Him who you've given yourself to. This is what happened to me personally, and I understand people have been raised with God and have grown into it and havent ever done anything really bad, but this is what happened to me.

1John is also a good understanding of what a real Christian is all about. honoring God, living for Him #1, not living in the world, loving people, etc.... John would seem to be lieing if you can be a Christian and not do any of these things, right? After all He did right it so you may know if you've been born again? This doesnt of course apply to new Christians but to those who have been a Christian for 11 years and then see this may doubt their salvation, correct?

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no way I can tell when you were saved. If at age 11 you depended and trusted on Jesus alone for salvation, knowing He died for your sins and rose again, then you were saved.

I was saved that way when I was four years old. I changed when God regenerated me, and stopped my rebellion towards my parents. When I was six I won my first soul to Christ, a friend at kindergarten. His mother came with him to say thank you for leading her child to Christ. It was not till I was 16 that I offered my body as a living sacrifice, and told the Lord I would do whatever He wanted me to. (I don't like the term "made Him Lord of my life." It's not in the Bible.) When I was 18 He called me to preach and I said yes. When I was 20 He called me to be a missionary and I said yes.
    That's what I believe the Bible teaches. :jesus:

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thank you for your post, J of J!!!

:godisgood:

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just want to keep saying yes to God! :jesus: