1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Praying to the Father in the Name of the Son

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Sep 20, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I believe that Scripture teaches us to pray to the Father in the name of Jesus. So several questions came up at the last Bible study we had, and was wondering what you all thought of them.

Is it wrong to pray directly to Jesus Christ?

Does anyone ever pray to the Holy Spirit?

Why do some people (mostly in other denominations) instead of saying something like "I ask this in the name of Jesus" might say "I pray this in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?"

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why they do that other than they believe it is the correct way to do it. I would not be quick to say it is wrong. However, Jesus prayed to the Father and that is the example we should follow. The Father is the Godhead and that is the reason why. We pray in Jesus name because it is by His work on the cross that we have access to the Father (Matt 6:6; Luke 11:2; Ephesians 2:18).

When we pray I believe we should do so guided by the word and led by the Spirit of God (Romans 8:26)

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'll never forget reading a story about Dr. John R. Rice - he once closed a sermon by praying to the Holy Spirit, asking Him to bring conviction to the hearers and draw people to Christ.

At the conclusion of the service, one lady went up to him and criticized him because he did not pray in Jesus' name.

Dr. Rice kindly replied, (as best as I can recall the story being told) "Dear sister, when you pray to one of the Godhead, you pray to them all."

Edit: I found a link to a similar story - (It's by Jack Hyles, so "buyer beware":smilewinkgrin:) - http://m.www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer's Corner/Doctrines/whom_to_pray.htm

#4 Mexdeaf, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013
  5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

6. clark thompson

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our prayers are heard by Jesus and in the prayer Jesus prayed He never mentioned Himself. However praying in Jesus name allows the prayer to be answered.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since Jesus told us exactly how to pray, and it was not a mere suggestion, we need to obey. Since there is only one mediator, and that is Jesus, we approach the Father through the righteousness of Christ which is now ours. We pray through the Spirit, not to Him.

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question

And I pray you get a good sampling of answers/comments!

First, I never pray to Jesus, nor do I pray to the Holy Spirit...I do pray and ask that all things be by the name of Jesus of the Father!" I think the more liturgical folks will use the phrase, "by the name of the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost" because this is what they have been brought up hearing in their more mainline churches!

I do not believe that God will ignore the prayers of those who use the wrong phrase...in fact, fact I like the slogan I've seen on line that says, "When you can't put your prayer into words, God hears your heart!" I certainly hope that is true, because I do not always know how to phrase exactly what it is I need to say when I pray!

God love you SN, you are a fantastic brother in the Lord! :flower:

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

I think one thing that might help in the discussion is to understand that 'in the name of' does not equate to the designation/title given a person to address them by. Jesus, Allan, John, etc...

'In the name of" means by or according to the authority of. However it should not become the tag line for the end of prayer. It should be stated with understanding of what it entails. I have found however that many do not even know this. They presume the end of the prayer should be much the closing of an official letter, complete with closing signature.

Surprisingly, you don't even need to 'say' the words to pray in His authority. This is about understanding and confidence that we have to approach the thrice Holy God. Not only in knowing it is His authority but that the one who comes in His name should be a proper representive of Him in word and deed. However stating the 'name' or authority in which you are speaking helps to acknowledge through who's authority you are praying so that others know this as well.

So whether to the Father, or the Son (Jesus help me), or the Holy Spirit (Holy Spirit open my eyes and guide me).. all of these are God and while distinct they are also one. Yet I will defer to scripture on this and state that Jesus does show us a "Model" prayer after the disciples as Him to pray and He states we should pray in such a manner: Our Father...

Why, because at the end of it all, it will all go back to Him. To Him, Jesus will give the Kingdom back to. From Him, all blessing flow. To Him, belong the Power and Glory forever and ever - Amen (so be it). Additionally, we see Paul through the moving of the Holy Spirit states that we 'cry Abba, Father' (Rom 8:15; Gal 4:6), in like manner that Jesus Himself did as well (Mark 14:36).

So while it is not inherently wrong to pray to the others of the Godhead, they themselves look to the Father and are our examples. For the Son sought to do only the 'will of the Father" while on earth.. The Spirit prays for us, since God knows our hearts AND knows the mind of the Spirit because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

While all are God and equal, Jesus and the Holy Spirit still yeild all things back to Father.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allan, great post and I agree. It's like the saying we have heard "open up in the name of the law".

Jesus said "without me you can do nothing". He tore open the veil into the holy place for us to enter in and have fellowship and to commune with the Father.
    I don't think we in mortal flesh can really understand the full impact of what that means.

Then, I don't think the children of God need be concerned about prayer formality, especially the babes in Christ:

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.​

But pray we should:​

Luke 18:1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;​

faint = give up.​

HankD​

11. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Matthew 6:9-13

Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Matthew 6:7

“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

Matthew 6:5-8

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, GO INTO YOUR ROOM AND SHUT THE DOOR and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

#11 JohnnyReb, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  12. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I agree, a good sovereign grace answer.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying in the name

I did not read the thread, so if this is redundant, sorry.

To pray in the name of someone means to pray according to what is known about him. To pray in the name of Jesus is to pray according to the will of God. It also makes an appeal, as someone, because they have been made blameless and righteous in Christ, possible directly to the thrown of grace. As a "child of God" we can cry out "Abba" to God, asking for the provision a Father provides for His children. Always just enough.

Of course we can pray to Jesus, or to the Holy Spirit, but because Jesus taught us to pray to the Father, it would not seem to be in the name of Jesus, if we directed our prayers elsewhere.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While the biblical model given to us is to pray to the father, in name of jesus, in power of the holy spirit, would say that by itself, we can pray to Jesus, as Stephen did, and at times I do ask the Spirit to help me to witness, or to resist temptation to sin at that moment!

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That last verse you quote has always made me shy away from pubic prayer. I do pray when called on loud enough for others to hear, but I say what there is to say, and keep it brief.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. That admonition from Jesus was not a prohibition against any public prayer. He was speaking of people who were praying with the wrong motive. The pharisees were hypocrites who condemned others for sin they had in their own lives. They liked to appear spiritual but has not real godly foundations. Jesus also pointed out the gentiles that repeated mantras and thought it was effective. Which by the way is a problem with the post modern centering prayer.

Sincere and needful public prayer is perfectly fine.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thank you for the kind post, but that verse has always made an impression on me. As I said, I do pray when called upon to, and even think at times of what I will pray if called upon. I hand out the offering plates in our services, so that is probably one reason I get called upon.

I have always imagined in my mind of how the Pharisees would squint their eyes as they bellowed out their prayers to see who was paying attention.

18. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I would like to point out that the word "prayer" is just a fancy word for talking to God. There is nothing in Scripture which hinders/restricts us from speaking to each member of the triune God. Any prayer to the Father, by a believer, is automatically by the authority of Christ. We are spiritually seated with Him in the heavenlies. As a priest in the true royal priesthood of the believers, I have unhindered access to the Father, the Son, & the Spirit. I plan on speaking to each one in eternity, so why not speak to them now?

As children of God, I would assume that we all speak to God at various times without the trappings of churchy prayer. When I speak to Him, there is no "in Jesus name" or "amen". I am simple speaking to Him. I would hope that every child of the King were comfortable speaking to Him without the need for religious formalities.

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree to some extent. However I also personally know a wiccan witch who attended a church regularly and is involved in many of it's ministries. She was a teacher and semi-leader in the church and when she prayed she did as you say above - as in, Never in Jesus name but she stated as children of god we all have the right to come before god with confidence.

I only found out she was a wiccan through much discussion about religions at work. I told her that she cannot serve the God of the Bible and her wiccan god at the same time and that she needs to be honest with the church and tell them her views. She stated her views do mesh with the church's she just doesn't believe the church has complete understanding of all God has given and so she worships by incorporating both religious views. Since I know the church she attend(ed) and the pastor, and since she refused to tell them her full beliefs, I contacted him and advised him. She left because she would not submit to the full authority of Christ.

This is not an 'extreme' thing that happened, it is a common thing that happens in many church because most do not properly teach the doctrines of the bible so they can know there is a distinction on many varried topics, such as praying, being (or who is) a child of God.

Thus my point in stating that while praying with others (unless they know you and your beliefs very well), stating that we are coming to God by the authority of Christ because we are surrended believers in Him (In Jesus Name).. this help to bring confirmation to others our position and standing with God and through whom we place that trust in.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A biblical answer, soteriology aside.