1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pre Mil

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Would someone explain briefly the differance between Historical Pre Mil & Futurist Pre Mil

2. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

They are both futurist positions, I've only heard "historical pre-mil" to be used in reference to a post-tribulational position. I think you want to know the difference between pre- and post-trib views within the pre-millennial family. In a pre-trib position, Jesus will come back and hover above the Earth and suck all of the Christians, living and dead, up into the air and carry them off to heaven. Then, on earth, there will be a seven year tribulation where the Anti-Christ will take over the world and try to kill all the Jews. Also, the Jews will have a new temple where they will sacrifice animals except 144,000 of them will convert to Christianity. And the Anti-Christ will then try to get everyone to take the Mark of the Beast, where people will get 666 tattoed on their forehead or right hand, or a microchip, etc. Then Jesus will come back for a second Second Coming and kill all of the Anti-Christ's forces and all other unbelievers and then He will damn them to hell. After that, Jesus will then resurrect everybody and He will judge the damned at the Great White Throne Judgment. At some point, He judges saved people at the Judgment Seat of Christ, but I forgot when. Then, there's a 1000 year kingdom on earth and Satan is bound, then Satan is loosed again and then Jesus throws Satan into hell and then something else happens and then there's the new heavens and earth and eternal kingdom, etc.

That's probably not perfect and I couldn't remember everything and I'm sure I left some stuff out because I am going off the top of my head. The post-trib position is basically the same except the Church goes through the tribulation and there's only one Second Coming. Fortunately, I hold to the amillennial view so everything's a lot simpler.

3. RustySword

RustySword Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I've never heard of historical vs. futurist pre-mil, but I've heard of historical vs. dispensational pre-mil. Could that be what you are thinking about?

I'm not very familiar with the historical pre-mil position. I think the word "historical" is used to distinguish it from dispensationalism, which, at least as a documented system of theology, came later.

I think Paul3144 is correct in that somebody holding the historical pre-mil position would probably not believe in a pre-tribulation translation, or "rapture," of the church. From what I understand of theological terms, "pre-millennial" means simply that one believes Christ's return will be BEFORE the millennium. Dispensationalists, because of their belief in a distinction between Israel and the church, and their interpretations of Matthew, the Thessalonian epistles, and Revelation, tend to believe in a pre-tribulation rapture.