1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pre-Tribulational Rapture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Edward 1689er, Nov 19, 2009.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The parable's point has more to do with salvation.

Now are you suggesting that if a pre-tribulational rapture happens that only pre-tribulational dispensationalists will be taken, leaving the rest of Christendom to fend for themsleves?

Or are you implying a split-rapture concept?

Either of those views are highly incompatible with Scripture imho. I am sympathetic to the traditional pre-trib/pre-mil view (probably because my eschatological view is historical pre-mill.) Suggesting either of these alternatives is simply out of bounds with the testimony of Scripture.

We are to be mindful of the chance of the second coming, but not consumed with it. I see more teaching about living a Christ-centered life amongst people than huddling up and getting neck cramps from staring at the sky waiting for Jesus. :)

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I can definitely agree with that. Also I think there is a bit of entitlement mentality...our generation is so bad that we deserve to be raptured. Just a thought.

While we should be mindful of the times, we should not be consumed with it. Let's be honest, the eschatological framework given by Tim LaHaye sells lots of books but is not compatible with THE Book.

Now he wants to do it all over again. I wish we could move beyond this limited view of eschatology and put our efforts into redeeming our times now. :)

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I applaud anyone who is able to write a thoughtful commentary on the Book of Revelation whether I agree with it or not. However, i believe that for a Christian to write a series of fictional books as did LeHaye and Jenkins to exploit peoples ignorance and curiosity just to make money is a disgrace

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes, you got it, their motivation was to exploit the ignorance of others. You nailed it. How were you able to discern their hearts intentions here? that is miraculous! :rolleyes:

6. OldRegular

I:saint:t is a gift!:thumbs:

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excerpt from his essay, 'The Second Coming', by Israel Shamir

8. OldRegular

One huge mistake either the reviewer or the author made is assuming that all evangelicals believe in the fictional rapture, or God's Dust Buster as the reviewer called it.

A second mistake by one of the two is that if the fictional rapture is nonfictional then only evangelicals Christians would be caught up in God's Dust Buster as the reviewer called it. If the fictional rapture is nonfictional then it is my understanding that all those who are saved will be caught up.

Now I am making a gross assumption here. I am assuming that, even though I don't believe in the fictional rapture, if it turns out to be nonfictional I won't be Left Behind, as Tim LaHaye would say.:tear::tear:

I hope one of you rapture buffs will ease my mind here!:praying::praying:

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bear in mind, the review was written from a secular Jew's perspective.

10. OldRegular

Doesn't that really describe the vast majority of Jews. My understanding, correct me if I am wrong, is that most Jews are agnostic at best!

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, agnostic describes the majority of Jews (from what I've read in the past), and the majority of them are unquestionably left wing in their politics. That's why these crusty old liberals who were influencing and directing policy in the Bush administration were referred to as 'neo-cons'.

I just looked at my 2nd to last post (#47) and realized that the way I constructed it, it could appear that Israel Shamir is the 'secular' Jew who wrote the article referenced above his excerpt, which is not the case at all. Israel Shamir is a true blue believing Jew with a circumcised heart (Greek Orthodox and a bit to the left in politics (his parents were Russian Jews)) and an Israeli citizen.

#51 kyredneck, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I usually stay out of these discussions, but occasionally I'll jump in.

I was reading Revelation 13, where John is describing the beast, the Anti-Christ.

In V.7, it says "And it was given unto him to make war on the saints and overcome them...'

If the believers are gone from the earth at this point, who are these saints?

13. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer from a pre-trib position is that many people get saved during the Tribulation period.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Tom, I'm not pre-trib, but that would explain why there are saints for the AntiChrist to make war on.

Back 40 years ago, when I was first exposed to the pre-trib view, I was taught that no Gentiles would be saved during the tribulation, since the Holy Spirit was also gone. The only ones who would be saved were Jews, and even then not in the way Gentiles had been saved before the rapture.

So is there more than one view among dispensationalists about this? And with the Holy Spirit gone, would Gentiles get saved the same way as Jews? And if so, how will they be saved?

Obviously, even in the dispy camp, there is not unanimity of opinion.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Am I the only person who has no particular interest in whether a rapture will be pretrib/posttrip/mremil/postmil/amil?

After way too many years in bible college, I became committed to preaching the first coming, and let the second coming be concerned with itself.

#55 Johnv, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We know they are the Jews. What we don't know is if there will be Gentile's who come to faith during the Great Tribulation. I tend to think there will be, hence the Angel proclaiming the Gospel to every nation (Rev. 14:6)

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Quite Possibly :) We are told to look for His coming, and I'm sure looking!

18. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not really a dispy, at least a one that would please Schofield...

I had heard that the only people saved were Jews, but don't think that is very widely held about pre-trib people. I think all people are saved the same way in the tribulation as they are saved in the present time.

We're always saved by faith. For me, I think the Bible teaches that the content of that faith may change. "Abraham believed God and it was counted to him for righteousness". He obviously had no knowledge of the substitutionary death of Jesus, but he believed what God had said and God counted reckoned it as righteousness.

So now gentiles and jews are saved by faith in Jesus and what He did on the cross and his resurrection and the same will apply in the trib.

others view will vary. :smilewinkgrin:

19. AnotherBaptist

AnotherBaptist New Member

Apparently you missed the memo from N.A.D. (National Association of Dispies) headquarters. You don't get to label yourself as a dispy. Others get to do that... :laugh:

(and they'll let you know what "kind" of dispy you are, believe me)

#59 AnotherBaptist, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "One thing is needful, sir, and that is by no means a puzzling matter; it is plainly this, that thou submit thyself to Jesus Christ and sit at his feet. That is needful: as for the doctrines of election and the second advent, they are important, but they are neither the most essential nor the most pressing. The one thing needful for a seeking soul is that it receive Jesus and become submissive to him, setting as a disciple at his feet and as a servant doing his will. It is true there is the ninth chapter of Romans in the Bible, and a precious chapter it is: but the seeking sinner should take care to read first the third chapter of John, and till he has mastered that, he had better let the Romans alone. Go first to the business which concerns your salvation; attend to that, and when all is right with you, then, at Jesus' feet, you will be in the best possible position to learn all that can be learned of the higher mysteries and the deeper truths." ---Charles Spurgeon, "The One Thing Needful"