1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preacher vs. Senior Pastor vs. Pastor?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by cowboymatt, Jan 30, 2008.

1. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

You wouldn't want to be in a church with an educated pastor?

And when I earn mine I'll expect my students in college/seminary to call me doctor, but its a different thing in the church. If someone wanted to, then that's fine. But it wouldn't be expected.

2. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I would prefer gifted.

Any thoughts on post # 16?

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are not mutually exclusive.

4. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

First of all, the notion of "merely" using a gift is weird to me. Why did you use that word?

I agree with you that all members of the church are equal and that all the gifts are equal.

But do you think that an educated pastor diminishes "the church to a cultural institution"?

What do you make of my distinction of expecting my college/seminary students to call me Dr. but not people in the church?

And do you have something against education and why?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

edited...I thought I was in the Baptist only forum (I was going through my subscribed threads):eek:

#25 webdog, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
  6. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

This is in the Christian Debate Forum (All Christians), isn't it?

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's not.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I caught it and already edited it.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All right. Congrats on your new addition!

10. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

…It quite obvious, to me anyway, that Christ in Matthew 23:9-10 is using hyperbole…that is, Christ is exaggerating to make a point…kind of like when Christ says that if your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out…if Christ were serious, we’d all be blind gimps…

Jesus in Matthew 23:9-10 is commenting on His observance in Matthew 23:6-7. Jesus is criticizing the Jewish leaders who love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues; and salutations in the market places, and being called ‘rabbi’ by men. Christ is pointing to how sinful these scribes and Pharisees are, how proud they were for not looking humbly to God as the source of all authority and fatherhood and teaching, and instead are setting themselves up as the ultimate authorities, father figures and teachers.

In the Orthodox faith, my priest is my spiritual father and we are his children, in other words we are committed to our priests spiritual care…hence Paul’s words: I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel (1 Cor. 4:14–15).

In XC
    -

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To me, titles show respect and honor to a person who has earned that position.

Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. - Hebrews 13:17

This shows that we do have those in authority over us and it is respectful to use the title that is appropriate. I don't see anything wrong with that at all and if people are uptight about it, what do you call your doctor? Hal?? I call my orthopedic surgeon by his first name but I have known him well, he's been in my home and he ASKED me to call him by his first name. Otherwise, he'd be known as Dr. Green - and he still is by my children. It's just showing respect.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Someday I might have an earned PhD, but I'll still like to called by my first name. But if they want to call me Dr., then so be it.

13. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I am all for showing respect. Part of my concern is that we respect some and not others. I also do not think that "pastor" is a position. I think it is a function within the body or church. We do not call any other people who are operating within the body by the fuction they are performing: exhorter Ed, teacher Tim...

Another part of my concern is that we have become dependent upon men for our spiritual growth. An earlier post said that he was commited to his Priest for his spiritual care. I think that is improper. Most Protestants see the inordinate dependence on the priests in Catholicism and Orthodoxy. I think this is happening within baptist, bible, and other churches as well. God will use people in our life; I think we are failing to let him use more of us within our local congregations due to this elevation of "pastor". I also think more people are pastors and don't realize it becasue they have not gone through the hoops of gaining the title or degree.

The solution is not to stop calling them "Pastor", but rather to change our mindset about what the church is and how it is to function.

14. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Back to the OP ... when I was a kid, we only had one preacher and he was called either pastor or preacher by the church members. (I called him dad.) I think "preacher" may be more of a southern thing.

At my current church, we have four pastors on staff. The title of the one who primarily preaches is the Senior Pastor. The other pastors' titles reflect their roles within the church -- Pastor of Community, Youth Pastor and Executive Pastor.

From a interpersonal standpoint, individual members may call them "Pastor" or by their first name, depending on their relationship with them. (I've heard them called other things too.)

Technically, they are either Assistant Pastors or Associate Pastors, but this is a denominational thing.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I call my pastor "Randy" :)

His name means amorous...and his love for God, His Word and His people is a reflection on his name, and fits him perfectly.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My title is "Moderator" but they all call me Bro Bob..........How about that, I know exactly who they are addressing when they say, "Hey you".....:laugh:

BBob,

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Moderator/Pastor" on your profile. Is the "Moderator" title something related to your church or this board?

Bob