1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preachers being Preached At...

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by MRCoon, May 1, 2006.

1. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Pastors, you do alot of preaching but do you get alot of preaching done to you? If not, why not? If so how? What do you listen to? Where do you get your sermons from? Does a Pastor need to hear preaching? Or is a Pastor's personal studying enough? What subject do you like to listen to? Or what topics do you think a Pastor should listen to? Or is it all random?

I just recently joined Sermon Audio (www.sermonaudio.com) and have downloaded a bunch of sermons to put on my MP3 player and listen to them throughout the day...it is so refreshing and convicting. I first downloaded some sermons on teenagers and some on Bible studying and have recently donwloaded the lastest batch based on the speaker rather than the topic.

Do you guys do stuff like this as well? If not what do you do? Share please!!

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would much rather study scripture and keep my skils sharp than listen to someone else who may or may not.

3. preach97

preach97 New Member

MRCoon,

I listen to sermons on the net from people that I trust or ones that some preacher friend of mine will reccomend. I also, when I go to conferences, will get sermon tapes and CDs to listen to in the car or when I am working.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MRCoon ,and others , I will suggest some preachers for you to listen to . First the Baptists : Al Martin , Rolfe Barnard ( 187 sermons ) and A.W.Pink ( 72 sermons -- but it is the voice of another ) .

John Greer is excellent as is Michael Barrett in the Presbyterian camp . Joel Beeke is a comfort and convicting . Sinclair Furguson is a little dry at first , but don't give up on him ). Joseph Pipa Jr. is worthy of close attention . I first heard him debating Dave Hunt a few years ago . Herman Hoeksema of the Protestant Reformed Church was an outstanding preacher . But after a stroke his delivery was weakened considerably . Philip Ryken of 10th Presbyterian is a must . He followed James Boice as Senior Minister there . Boice himself is superb . Check out JC Ryle's 36 sermons . He was a Bishop of the Church of England , but don't let that get in your way . He was exceedingly biblical . And of course , the recording is of another . Ryle died in 1900 .

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Then, why should I, or anyone else for that matter, listen to you? You do seem to highly esteem your own abilities and skills. Do others? IHMO, anyone can benefit from good Biblical preaching.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is why I'd tend to choose any messages by the preacher rather than by subject. There are men whom I know by reputation or by past experience of their preaching.
    Then, why should I, or anyone else for that matter, listen to you? You do seem to highly esteem your own abilities and skills. Do others? IHMO, anyone can benefit from good Biblical preaching.</font>[/QUOTE]

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Most bible colleges today record their special speakers in mp3 format and put them on their web sight. Listening to these men gives one the opportunity to hear the best of tday but also to hear some of the up and coming preachers and evangelists of tommorow. One message that I heard recently was by an evangelist by the name of Morris Gleisser and I must say one message of his in particular not only challenged me deeply but brought tears of joy to my eyes as he shared the victories of others.

I don't think his messages are still on the colleges listing but they may still be in their archives at the following link.

http://www.tricitybaptist.net/listen.htm

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of supporting churches whose pastors I love and respect send us their sermon tapes, and I listen to them on occasion. However, I can't listen to a sermon and get much work done, since I tend to then concentrate on what the preacher is saying. I usually listen to good music while I work.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Now...most of you are weird. I mean, pastors. (Sorry, slipped up [​IMG] ).

Another question: Do you ever listen to sermons by top-notch ministers who communicate to different audiences?

Explanation: As a youth pastor, I try and listen to top-flight youth pastors...that are faithful to Scripture, and communicate well to teens. AND, I also listen to good pastors as well.

Do you guys ever try and do that kind of thing?

My least favorite pastor to listen to: me. I listen to my message and self-critique (occasionally pre-sermon; usually, it's the recording of the evening. We record our Wednesday night live on CD.)

We record because we have thousands of requests for my sermons. OK, hundreds. OK...my mom asked to listen to one three years ago
    :D [​IMG]

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then, why should I, or anyone else for that matter, listen to you? You do seem to highly esteem your own abilities and skills. Do others? IHMO, anyone can benefit from good Biblical preaching. </font>[/QUOTE]That is a good question for all of us to ask ourselves. Ever see poor doctrine come from a good study of the Bible and its application? Never. Many listen to Benny Hinn and leave tehir brain at home. Good preaching is only part of the issue.

The real answer lies in the answer to the question: "How do you tell a crooked stick? You lay a straight one next to it."

11. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

You have to be careful about listening to sermons from other pastors. It is very probable that you will pick up on something they say and repeat it in a sermon without giving credit. That's a no-no. [​IMG]

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Spurgeon said that if you don't quote you will never be quoted. I don't think this is much of a problem at all. If two preachers are studying the same passage, they can very likely come up with the same results (that should be a no-brainer).

I like to listen to others who I respect and whose "swordmenship" of the Word is good.

13. mnw

mnw New Member

Anything we say of worth you can bet someone else has already said. If it's new its not true! (Someone told me that by the way.)

I try to listen to other preachers when I can. The web is filled with good sources. Iron sharpeneth iron and we all need sharpened every now and again.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Anything we say of worth you can bet someone else has already said. If it's new its not true! (Someone told me that by the way.)

I try to listen to other preachers when I can. The web is filled with good sources. Iron sharpeneth iron and we all need sharpened every now and again.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (proud of the obscure plagiaristic humor)

16. mnw

mnw New Member

Good post rbell, where'd you get it from? [​IMG]

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Calvin!

or was it Arminius?

:D

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Then, why should I, or anyone else for that matter, listen to you? You do seem to highly esteem your own abilities and skills. Do others? IHMO, anyone can benefit from good Biblical preaching. </font>[/QUOTE]That is a good question for all of us to ask ourselves. Ever see poor doctrine come from a good study of the Bible and its application? Never. Many listen to Benny Hinn and leave tehir brain at home. Good preaching is only part of the issue.

The real answer lies in the answer to the question: "How do you tell a crooked stick? You lay a straight one next to it."
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well, when I listen to Binny Henny, I have a good laugh, get really angry and end up with plenty of good information to discredit his heresy. On the other hand, I think Hebert W. Armstrong arrived at his heresy through an untutored perusal of Scripture. The Apostle Peter wrote: "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation (2 Peter 1:19)." Good Bible preaching helps keep us straight.

19. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Yes, Peter did say that but you have completely decontextualized it. (if I may invent a new word.)

Paul said, 2TiĀ 2:2
    And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

I NEVER listen to Benny Hinn. But I will listen to men whom I trust. I will even listen to some I have never heard of, at least ONE time. And I do listen to myself on occasion. Two reasons for this are 1, When I am preaching often times it is I who might need the message most; and 2, practice, practice, practice.

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Oh? Then contextualize it and explain it.