1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Preachers Quitting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by salzer mtn, Aug 22, 2013.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Excellent, balanced, and well thought out response. I can't tell you how often quitting has entered my mind.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

This is by far the position I find myself in the most. The way my family has been treated by certain individuals over the years - most of whom have long since left the church - and the hurt they have gone through - it makes me feel "guilty" that I couldn't prevent it, even though I am convinced that I'm doing what God would have me do.

All kids make their own decisions, but like I said, certain people made my daughter feel so unwelcome that she left the church for several months, promising never to come back among these "so-called" Christians.

Did it make me want to quit? If you want to hear pleasantries and polished speech, I will say that I never, repeat, never stopped trusting in the Lord. If you want to hear me in my weakness and humanity, I will say I felt useless to my family, useless to the church, useless to effect change even as God's vessel.

I didn't quit. Things aren't necessarily always easy, but God has provided me an ability to cope. I think in a way that the experience of hurt somehow makes the pastor more suited to ministry, not less.

But it sure doesn't make it fun.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It is.:thumbsup:

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Seems to be a worldy thing to quit . People think because you get to be a certain age, it's time to retire. A person may retire from a particular position, but the calling remains and he better keep on trucking till God calls him home.

The preacher will always be a preacher. He may not be able to get around as well, but he is still a preacher as called by God.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It' does indeed get tough sometimes. It's kinda like this board where you wonder what brought that on, but you just, as you said have to keep trusting in God even when people act funky.

6. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

A certain age meaning old age carries more baggage with it other than the word "old age" I have a preacher friend older than I am that was a active pastor until his mind by reason of age began to faultier to the point that in his messages he would forget what he had already said, so he stepped down. Does the calling remain, I don't think so.

7. salzer mtn

Another scenario. Let's say you preached and pastored a number of years believing a certain belief but as you advanced in your studies of the word of God your mind totally changed from your former convictions. You tell the church and they can't except it so you leave. Both beliefs are Baptist but different Baptist. The churches that preach the doctrine you now believe are few and far in between, the pulpits are already filled. You are like a plow horse, you miss wearing the bridle and the harness of continual preaching, you could go back and they would welcome you with open arms but you want to be true to your convictions. The preacher in this scenario, was he ever called to preach? would God call a preacher to preach one message and then lead him to believe another message? Would you go back just in order to occupy a pulpit?

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks. Yet another post by someone who 'gets it.' I haven't quit. And by the grace of God I won't. But I have a hard time attacking and condemning my dear brethren who have finally given up after years and years of pain and hurt and opposition and people turning their backs.

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

For me, my conscience is not for sale. I would have to go with my new beliefs. I think the person in your scenarios was called to preach, but the call to discipleship and spiritual growth come before both in time and in precedence. But being called to be a preacher and having a place to preach are 2 different things. :laugh:

I am now 62 and sometime in the next 10 years or so i will think about retirement from pastoring this church. But I will still be called to preach, just not in the same location or with the same frequency.

10. salzer mtn

C4K, when you use the words, "and by the grace of God" this is a sticking point. Wouldn't God give all preachers the same grace not to quit ? The scripture say's, 1 Cor 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common with man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

#30 salzer mtn, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If one desires to serve as a bishop, he should join the Catholic Church.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course, but I can certainly understand what happens when a guy has just 'had enough.' I am not going to sit in judgement over them because I know how close I have come more than once.

13. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sin is a big one. Also just because God calls a man to preach does not mean it is for life. He may want it for a season and than want something else.

14. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Nice OP.

What Biblical evidence can you give for your thread? Is there any Biblical support? And, why do you ask?

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me rephrase. I meant called to pastor, which is obvious by the rest of my post.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think if you knew the Scriptures better you wouldn't have said this.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure he does... he's Southern boarn & bred. :smilewinkgrin:

1 Timothy 3:1-2

King James Version (KJV)

3 This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

18. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely right.

And it's not just pastors who feel this. I don't know of anyone who has stayed in the same kind of job for years and years without wanting to quit or even taking a leave of absence. They are just as called to their "secular" jobs as we have been to the ministry.

19. salzer mtn

Biblical evidences and support is what I ask for. The reason I ask is because there are many who at one time preached the gospel but have quit for various reasons. I might as others who have answered feel sorry for a person who quit because I have felt like doing the same thing myself but can a person go by personal feelings and lay aside what the bible say's about the matter ? Where does the excuses stop? If we accept one excuse would we not have to except every excuse? When accepting excuses from others we have to be careful that sub consciously we are not paving a future road for ourselves that is gravely at the moment.

20. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are mis-interpreting understanding why with excusing. I understand why men quit or take a hiatus from ministry. I don't say they are excused from obedience. I just understand why they do.

I see that you are retired. How many years did you work before you retired? Were you working where God wanted you to work?