1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching I would Not Listen To...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Apr 20, 2008.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

1. Preaching that is man-centered.
    2. Preaching that robs from grace.
    3. Preaching that is touched by finnyism.
    4. Preaching that is emotionally and preferentially driven rather than theologically driven.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    After going through some of my old sermon note... I'd answer some of my own preaching. :BangHead:

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Likewise. I got rid a bunch of my old stuff. I can´t believe some of the things I said!

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a friend who wrote a book when he was young. Now he says, "Thank God, no one would publish it." :laugh:

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I think that we all have been there. :laugh:

6. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I definitely did not mean that.

These are what I consider boring:

1. Manuscript reading
    2. Thinking the sermon is wrapping up, but realize he just got done with the intro
    3. 46 point sermons

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

have you got scripture for that?:laugh:

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Actually I abhor "preaching" a sermon, which is actually teaching being called preaching.

I love a message from God birthed in the heart of a God-called PREACHER! though.:godisgood:

9. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard one guy put it that it's like the National Anthem at the beginning of a ball game - that's the last you'll hear about it.

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I am so sorry - I misunderstood. As the saying goes: "My bad!"

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, nothing like a guy saying "and my last point is" 5 or 6 times.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Someone told me you do that sort of thing. :laugh:

13. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Sounds good to me. :thumbs:

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yep, I do but I have a 4 max limit only to be exceeded if the Deacon is still sleep on the front row or if my sermon goes over an hour... I believe you should get two for every 15 minutes you go over an hour since the crowd get's a little restless. So It's ok when I do it since I'm just making sure they're awake... I only hate it when someone does it to me. :rolleyes:

I think we forgot one here, what about the preacher who takes his text then proceeds to tell his testimony...?
    The same testimony you heard last time and the time before that?

A preacher friend has an evangelist in town doing a revival so I went tonight to support. He wasn't two or three minutes into his testimony (I mean sermon) when I remembered I heard this one before and before. I then thought of this thread and wished i'd kept my one time rule and stayed home.

What's worse was about every five minutes he'd say, "you don't have to say amen". Kind of refreshing to have his ok to not say amen since, well, I don't recall anyone ever saying amen. But then again we had his permission... :godisgood:

Oh, then after about 35 minutes he apologized that he forgot to read his text. What's strange, I hadn't noticed.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So it's a tactic on your part. :thumbs:

Yeah, we're charged to Preach the Word (2 Tim 4:1, 2).

How old is this friend of yours?

I call for Amen sometimes, but I rather get it that having to call for it.

You gotta be kiddin me!

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

This one I despise the most. :BangHead:

17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're in company with the majority of those who ever preached, bro, so, smile and don't worry about it.

when i first started preaching here in the states i used to tape my messages so i can share it with my brethren in the Philippines.
    after listening to some of these tapes then i was surprised the congregation actually sat there and bore with me.

how wise our Savior and Creator is when He said, "by this they shall know that ye are my disciples. that ye love one another".

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    pet peeve # 1 : preaching that robs God of glory and grace.

pet peeve # 2 : preaching what the preacher thinks the Scripture means, instead of what it says.

pet peeve # 3 : preaching with too many "I" in it, and too little Jesus.

pet peeve # 4 : preaching with illustrations that use names and puts people in the congregation on the spot.

pet peeve #5 : preaching with illustrations that may not use names but has descriptions or incidents that leave no doubt as to who is being put on the spot.

this is fun.
    be back later, after gym.

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

A couple years ago I had enrolled myself in a couple of expository preaching workshops at the facilities of the late, great Dr. Stephen Olford in Memphis, TN

During a break in one of the workshops---Dr. Olford's son, David---was taking a few of the attendees on a "walk through" of Dr. Olford's "Library/Study"

I thought to myself as he was showing us his dad's library---"MAN!!!!! BRILLIANCE STUDIED IN THIS PLACE!!!!!!"

Then as we walked around---Dr. Olford(David) went behind the study desk--and opened up a long line of cabinet doors---that covered the wall behind the desk and said

"Here are the most recent manuscripts that my dad preached----one day we pray to have these manuscripts put into book form!!!!!"

Then I was overtaken in joy----like a boy in a candy store when I heard him say that---it just blurted out of me---I looked over at David and said

"HURRY!!!!!"
    :godisgood:

20. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I find myself in agreement with 90% of the posters in this thread, so for me to post my preference to what I'd listen to would be very redundant. My concern here is what our ear wants to hear and not our submission to what the Spirit has to say to the Church.

Revelation 2:7
    7He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;

I started a thread last week that sought to have each poster there Post the title and verse of their Pastors sermon there. Most admitted that they slept through the sermon. I wonder if we Pastors are fooling ourselves if we think our people are listening to what we are preaching. This thread goes to show that we are submitting to what our ear wants to hear as apposed to "what the Spirit saith unto the Church.":tear:

2 Timothy 4:3&4
    3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

#40 Palatka51, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008