1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching: Nervous or not?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TomVols, May 20, 2008.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

the first couple of years i preached weekly it was normal for me to get butterflies in my stomach right before the offering and into the first couple of minutes of my sermon. After 5-6 years i will sometimes get a little tense before preaching, but i don't think i get as nervous as i used to when speaking to my own congregation. Now put me in front of a new bunch of folks that i'm not comfortable with, and the butterfiles return.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't say I get nervous or that I don't; there is a moment of anticipation right before I preach, but I would associate that with living with the sermon all week and being good and ready to get it out. I'm sure I was nervous when I first started preaching, just can't remember.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you do not get nervous to some extent then I would wonder about your walk with God. People who are too confident are placing their trust in themselves and their abilities.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not being too judgmental about another person's walk with God and whom they are trusting, are you?

5. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

That describes me well also. I think it is the task we are about to do and the impact - importance of it that gets some a little nervous.

Of course , the flip side to all of this is getting into the " pulpit" and think you have everything nailed down... never - Irepeat never try to preach on your own. If you don't know what I mean you will.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We cannot judge a person's motives but we can judge their actions. They can only judge themself.

How can it be judgmental to say that if I do not tremble before God and place confidence in ourself then we am too focused on ourself and my own abilities?

#26 gb93433, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So because he doesn't get nervous, he must not have a close walk with God and must be relying on his own abilities? If this isn't judging someone's motives, what is it?

You've set up your own private standard for a preacher to have the right kind of walk with God: He must get nervous before he speaks. :laugh:

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can you explain then how someone can stand before a holy and righteous God and not have some kind of fear and trepidation?

It is one thing to fear God and quite another to fear man. I am talking about the attitude and posture one should have before God and His righteousness.

#28 gb93433, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    gb93433
    Please check your private message box.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm on both sides. If I preaching to a new audience, I'm usually a bit nervous, but then I get into it.

But once I'm well-prepared at my church, I'm never nervous.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had sent a private message to gb93433 demanding a public apology for his comments and he has not responded. Here are the messages

Originally Posted by go2church
    "At first I thought your where joking and just left off the smiley face. Then I read the rest of your posts and I all I can say is wow!

How dare you question me and my preaching from a couple of sentences. Your attempts to make your comments reference our relationship to the Lord ring hollow and lack any of the needed sincerity to match the Pharisaical comment I quoted above. I don't know how old your are, but you need to grow up! I demand a public apology."

gb93433
    "I did not know I was accusing anyone of anything. Could you quote the post you are referring to or the post numbers?"

go2church
    "Post #23 - If you do not get nervous to some extent then I would wonder about your walk with God. People who are too confident are placing their trust in themselves and their abilities.

Public accusation, requires a public apology"

My only conclusion is that gb93433 thinks he has done nothing wrong or doesn't care, either way it shows a lack of character and courage.