1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching on a Confession

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by NateT, Sep 21, 2005.

1. NateT

NateT Member

I've been thinking about some of the churches I've been involved in, and how they don't appear to have any type of confession of faith that they know. Most would say they uphold BF&M, but if pressed, I'm sure 90% wouldn't know what was in there.

I've also gotten the impression from talking with lay people in the church that a lot don't know why we do the things we do. For example, why is our view of Lord's supper important, or why do we hold to a Plurality of Elders (or a single-elder system).

That being said, have any of you used a confession of faith for what you preach (say on a Sun or Wed night)?

If so, how did you do it? Did you take the confession and use the verses identified in it as your text? Did you go straight through or did you do a few weeks, then a different series, and then back to the confession?

Thanks

2. NateT

NateT Member

anyone?

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Confession that does not lead to application means nothing. For that reason, I focus on how to "live out" what we believe as opposed to the mere content. Several years ago when I was involved in a more "conventional" SBC church and practiced a different style and method of preaching, I started to preach through the fundamental doctrines of the BF&M. I stopped after a few weeks. Way too much content -- way too little application. It was near the end of that series that I began my transition in preaching style, content, and purpose.

Baptists tend to pride themselves on long confessions. I tend to stick with more basic confessions now like the Nicene or Apostles Creed.

4. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

Baptists pride themselves on no creed but the Bible while not realizing that a creed is simply a statement of what they believe.

A confession would be better presented in a group Bible study. I enjoy leading a good Bible study that lays the foundation and builds on it. This is when you can hand out verses to study during the week. There are also many good Baptist Catechisms.

My two cents

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Creeds have been changing over the years but the Bible still remains the same.