1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching on Bioethics

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mnw, Apr 4, 2007.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

Several weeks ago I began preparing to preach a two sermon intro to Bioethics. It is part of an outreach format I am trying.

-- The last Sunday of each month focuses on a different topic/current event and demonstrates the Bible as current in every age. Ultimately, it is to take the complex problems of life and show the simple solution in Christ. --

But this by the by. I wanted to ask if any here has any reading material to suggest or a format I could perhaps use for talking about bioethics. Of course, with only two sermons I am very limited, I know it is a huge area.

I am leaning towards Life Before Birth in the AM. This would focus on the sanctity of life, our creation in the image of God etc. It will most likely touch on abortion, IVF, IA etc.

The PM service will be directed towards Life Before Death and will touch on certain medicinal practices and euthanasia etc.

While I don't want to go into these areas in too much detail, especially IVF, I don't want the sermon title to be a thinnly veiled fraud to get people through the door. I want to give genuine Bible answers to complex bioethical questions. Again, time is short and I know as much as anything it will just introduce people to the topic.

The goal is to challenge and educate believers and to show the lost that the Bible is relevant.

Anyway, any suggestions would be helpful.

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

An Introduction to Biblical Ethics is a great book. It is by McQuilkin. This and Biblical Ethics by T. B. Maston were my textbooks at Oklahoma Baptist University. I prefer the one by McQuilkin... and believe it should be a book in every pastor's library. Hope this helps you.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would suggest that you do as was suggested to me a few years ago. I would suggest that you have a team of godly people who can advise you correctly which will help you put the sermon together with good credibility. They should be people who have good credibility and are not afraid to deal with issues.

While your efforts are certainly commendable. Before you go down that road I would suggest that you help people to know what ethics is not just give them your opinion. Ethics is not always so easy to deal with even when you know the facts. For example: Is it ethical to drive a car because of the pollution it gives off?

You can go down a long line of topics and accomplish nothing. If you deal with certain subjects you had better have your facts straight. For example: Is it ethical to enjoy the benefits of a power plant located in another city? Is it ethical for our garbage to be dumped in poor areas of the country where the socioeconomics are low? Is it ethical for students to do less than their best in every class? Is it ever ethical that the rich get better healthcare than the poor? Is cloning ever ethical? Is it ever ethical for a retail or wholesale business owner to have workers who are working while he sits in church?

You could find it an interesting discussion if you present what Bill Moyers did in the transcript at http://www.pbs.org/tradesecrets/transcript.html

When you are done talking about bioethics what is your expected action among the people? If it leads to political action are you willing to lead them in the cause?

4. mnw

mnw New Member

Thanks for the replies thus far.

The result I am looking for is two-fold:

1. For believers to know at least a little about bioethics. I think very often we get bogged down in the technical explanations about dna/embryos etc and miss the main points such as the sanctity of life... I want believers to have an introduction into the ethical situations that modern science puts us into and to know that very often simple Biblical principles solve complex world problems.

2. I want those who don't know Christ to see that the ancient Bible has relevant truth for 2007 and for all ages.

I know ethics/bioethics is a huge area and two sermons will do nothing but introduce the topic.

I am not looking to make a political movement, but to effect individual lives.

5. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Then get the book I recommended. The book will not go into technical explanations about bio ethics... but it will deal with contemporary issues we face today, and most importantly, how the Bible deals with them.