1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching time limits

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Mar 29, 2004.

1. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

We are planning to get out of this here desert asap. But God was one step ahead of me. You know the situation, but the pastor of the church we have come to has been praying for help in the areas that I have been trained and working in. Now, he knows we plan on leaving when our house sells. So, when I showed up asking how I can serve, he was blessed.
    God is good.

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

That's what I'm saying!

"Quench not the spirit."

Of course, you should always try to be in keeping with what the Pastor has. After all, he is in charge of the pulpit...plus, he may want to go after you into the stand.

Unfortunately, when I get going, or rather when the Spirit gets going in me, I tend to forget that time even exists.

Just last Sunday, the man filling that particular appointment, not our Pastor though, asked me to introduce for him. Well, turns out that the introduction took most of the hour.

I didn't even realize that 40 minutes had elapsed until I sat down.

In all honesty, it didn't feel like anymore than about 15 minutes.

I apologized to him afterwards, but he didn't seem to mind all that much.

Bottom line, I wouldn't intentionally stay in the pulpit when I was specifically asked to take only a certain amount of time. Of course, if there's not a clock on the back wall, and I forget to sit my watch on the pulpit, well, let's just say that you won't be home in time to hear, "Gentlemen, start your engines!" ;)

3. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

and I fully agree with you :D :D

4. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The week before my first sermon at my home church, I spent with the pastor on a missions trip. On the way back he was driving and I was shotgun, he looked at me and said "Son, preach as long as you want Sunday night, just remember though, at 7pm we all get up and walk out the back door, and when youa re done, just turn off the mic on the way out." He smiled very slyly and continued to drive, and I understood exactly what he meant, he made great effort to respect the time of the people and he wanted me to do the same.

BTW, at 7pm that Sunday night he caught my eye and pointed to his watch as I immediately asked all to rise for the invitation time. [​IMG]

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I appreciate the thoughts expressed here and the spirit with which they have been expressed.

IMHO, I can't see the Holy Spirit directing me disobey the pastor's wishes.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Years ago I was told by the pastor's wife to remember to quit before the people do.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preaching out here in Wyoming is like drilling for oil.

If you don't strike paydirt in 30 minutes, quit boring.

9. Gib

Gib Active Member

I'm in agreement that we should not quench the spirit, but it is possible to cloud it's view. Telling story after story, trying to drive it home, can quench much.