1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching to 70 teens 13-17 years old

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Joman, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Joman

Joman New Member

Hello,

I have the oportunity to preach for 20 minutes all fridays on a high school to teens between 13-17 years.

This will be for a 10months period. 99% of them are non-christians.

Do you know any good material/book CHEAP that i can give to each of them and work with that once a week so they can work at homes with them?

remember, non christian teens.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

You could make up a worksheet for them to do at home over the week.....you know, an outline to fill out, or give them a word study.

3. Joman

Joman New Member

Since i have a 10month oportunity i want a study already made...i don't know what to teach/preach for 10 months!!!

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

you're right....Im sorry, I'll let the preachers chew on this one.

[​IMG]

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What a great opportunity! I pray that Lord blesses this ministry.

If you are preaching, why not use the Word of God? It is way better than any other book or material out there. It is living and active, and useful for all situations of ministry!

I would envision handing out copies of the Gospel of John and preaching your messages from John.

Just a thought...

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this material work required for a course or something?

I just have a hard time seeing 70 Christian students going along with a study, much less 70 non-Christian students!

I echo PastorSBC's sentiments.

7. Joman

Joman New Member

Thank you Pastor, but i also wanted something that they can take home and have the entusiams to work on that on the week.

Is not easy to motivate non-christian teens to read a bible during the week..

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think many times we want something new and exciting and what we end up doing is selling the Word of God short. Do we really believe in the sufficiency of Scripture or not?

I stand by my comments, stick with the Word! You cannot motivate non-christian teens to read any material. But it is not on you to motivate them, it is the work of the Holy Spirit. The Word of God empowered by the Holy Spirit is the best option.

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    40 20 minute talks to 70 non-Christian teens.

Wow. Praise God for the opportunity. I really hope you have a lot of energy and dope up on caffeine and the Holy Spirit before each talk. ;)

I teach HS kids Sunday School and they learn well when there is an activity associated with the lesson, preferably something involving physical movement.

Any gifted actors that can help you out? Maybe get kids involved playing simple roles in re-inacting portions of Jesus' interactions with people in the gospels and following that up with some thoughts and questions for them to consider.

Watching and acting out Jesus' life in weekly TV show format will give them a chance to experience Christ first hand. This TV/video game/internet/instant messaging generation has a short attention span if it is just talk. But action gets them going and they appreciate relationships and sincerity. They can smell a salesman a mile away.

If you can't find any actors, Bruce Kuhn's Gospel of Luke DVD is $20 USD. Although I'm not sure how KJV english will fly with high schoolers who may not have fond memories of that last Shakespeare essay they had to write.

Just some thoughts.

10. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

If you are preaching to non-Christians, then do what needs to be done, prove Christ to them through the scriptures. I also had an opportunity to do the same, so the first sermon/lesson to taught was the fact that I cared enough about them to tell them the truth. I went through why the Bible is Truth and promised to never tell them anything that was not the truth.

Then after that, I began to walk them through the scriptures, allowed them to walk through the scriptures with me, used personal stories to show how the scriptures are relevant to their lives today. Lessons are great, but the firs thing that you will discover is that they will not do the homework unless you have some type of gun to their head. At that point, you have zombies and are not working on the heart. Teach from the Word and allow the Spirit to work on their heart and watch how great God is.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. Why give them homework?

Believe it or not, I agree with SBC on this one. I think beginning with Creation is a good start. You're preaching to a group of evolutionists, if they're non-Christian public school students. I think they need to hear about God as Creator, before they will respond to God as Redeemer. The Book of John begins with Christ as Creator.