1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Predestinated = OSAS

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Mar 7, 2006.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is about "bearing fruit". It is about a abiding relationship with Jesus Christ eles you will bear no fruit. Deeds will be burned in the fire yet he himself shall be saved(1Cor 3:12-15).

Here is a simple test for this passage...

Q) Is this passage speaking about salvation?

A with Q) Is "bearing fruit" a "deed" or "work"?

A) Yes it is a deed or a work.

Q) Is salvation a free gift of God, not of works?

A) Yes, therefore one must interpret the passage in light of the precept concerning God's free gift of salvation.

Simple! [​IMG]

God Bless!

2. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

So then you are one of the predestinated but tell others who believe that they might not be :confused:

God Bless!
    </font>[/QUOTE]I only tell believers that they need to contend for the faith, run the race, seek after God and love Him with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength, and allow God to chasten them.

The Bible is clear enough - if you do not do these things, you will be lost aka lose your salvation. When that happens is up to God. He knows the heart. He knows when someone falls into rebellion if they will come back.

You are missing the point, that some fall into rebellion, or have been drawn in by seducing spirits, or fall under the anti-messiah spirit and never come back. That is not God's fault. They will have no excuse at judgment. As Jesus said, even the elect were in danger of falling were it not for the grace of God in the end times.

3. eloidalmanutha

It is about "bearing fruit". It is about a abiding relationship with Jesus Christ eles you will bear no fruit. Deeds will be burned in the fire yet he himself shall be saved(1Cor 3:12-15).

Here is a simple test for this passage...

Q) Is this passage speaking about salvation?

A with Q) Is "bearing fruit" a "deed" or "work"?

A) Yes it is a deed or a work.

Q) Is salvation a free gift of God, not of works?

A) Yes, therefore one must interpret the passage in light of the precept concerning God's free gift of salvation.

Simple! [​IMG]

God Bless!
    </font>[/QUOTE]so are you saying then, that fruit is what is grafted into the Vine?

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good point. Funny how Ezek 18 and Matt 18 both tell the story of "Forgiveness revoked"!!

Hard to miss brother!

In Christ,

Bob

5. standingfirminChrist

Death means separation, it does not mean cease to exist.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no exegesis of Ezek 18 that can remotely imagine that the author's term for "die" does not really mean 'dead' or 'die' it just means separation.

one may be able to eisegete that idea into the text - but it can not be exegeted from Ezek 18.

Secondly - there is no text in all of scripture that says "The soul is always alive since it is immortal"

God claims HE alone can "DESTROY both body and soul in hell fire"

I believe him.

When we see the body "burned" (and in that way "destroed") we do not simply see it as "functioning but separated".

It is real!

----------------------------

However "on this thread" trying to imagine "immortal soul" into the Bible does not help your case. In Ezek 18 and MAtt 18 (Forgiveness revoked) you have to imagine that the righteous man whose soul then "dies" is in fact "not righteous at any point so that he never had anything to fall from" and the same is true in Matt 18. You must imagine that the forgiven servant "Was nevre really forgiven" no matter what the Bible says.

7. eloidalmanutha

I hate to butt in on your "exegesis", but you are comparing the spiritual to the physical on the same playing field - that's like trying to play football on a basketball court ;)

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I said what I said. Which questions and answers do you disagree with?

God Bless!

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you also tell other believers that you are one of the predestinated to the finish? That you are special and cannot lose your salvation but they better beware of losing their salvation?

This is what I am getting out of your answers and comments brother, that you believe you are predestinated to remain faithful but other believers cannot be so sure.

Why isn't the predestination passage for those believers you preach to as well as for yourself? What makes your salvation so special and different than theirs?

God Bless!

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Bob!

Where is your answer about predestination? Is the passage speaking about you or not?

God Bless!

11. eloidalmanutha

I said what I said. Which questions and answers do you disagree with?

God Bless!
    </font>[/QUOTE]you did not answer the question ;)

12. eloidalmanutha

Do you also tell other believers that you are one of the predestinated to the finish? That you are special and cannot lose your salvation but they better beware of losing their salvation?

This is what I am getting out of your answers and comments brother, that you believe you are predestinated to remain faithful but other believers cannot be so sure.

Why isn't the predestination passage for those believers you preach to as well as for yourself? What makes your salvation so special and different than theirs?

God Bless!
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am not special. I am but a worm, a breath, a vapor. I am nothing but a pile of dirt. Bought with an extreme price. I owe Him a debt I cannot pay.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    you did not answer all of the questions ;)

No, believers are grafted into the vine through regeneration.

Now your turn to answer ;) .

God Bless!

14. eloidalmanutha

15. eloidalmanutha

1) If someone asked me, I would have a discussion such as we are doing, using scripture to back up what I say.

2) I have often discussed with other belivers what it takes to contend for the faith, and what happens if one does not.

3) All true believers know the Lord. It is important to tell new believers what is expected of them. It's called discipleship. The NT has many examples of those who fell away and I would most certainly point that out.

4) I am not a preacher. I have discussions with fellow believers and some who are wavering. There are many. I pray for them and lead them the best way I can into the truth of God's Word.

5) I am not special. I almost fell away and was lost. I was part of a religious group who believed that unless you pronounce the Name of Jesus correctly you were not saved. Many of those people eventually denied the Deity of Christ because they wanted to follow the ancient path and it drew them away from Christ into deception. I was very close, my clothes were singed and smoking.

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will take that as a "yes".

I will take that as a "no".

Insert other comments and avoid answering the point.

We are both preaching here, all of us are preachers. In fact we are commanded to preach the word...2Ti 4:2 Preach the word ; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

As for the question...unanswered.

You almost fell away? Why didn't you? God's Grace, right? How about those who did fall away? Didn't they have God's Grace? Why did God give you Grace and not them?

So here is the conclusion of your position; You are saved and believe you are in no danger of ever losing your own salvation(predestinated). You teach other believers that they can be in danger of losing their salvation(they are not predestinated believers, they are a different class of believers).

Teaching that a passage of scripture is for yourself but not for other born of God Believers is hypocritical. Predestination is for ALL who call on Christ!

You gave Gal 5 for reference to those who will not inherit the kingdom of God. There is a place for hypocrites as well...
    Job 15:34 For the congregation of hypocrites shall be desolate, and fire shall consume the tabernacles of bribery.
    Mat 24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    Pro 11:9 An hypocrite with his mouth destroyeth his neighbour: but through knowledge shall the just be delivered.

I reference these scriptures not to say you are going to be lost, you cannot be, Jesus already sealed your destiney. But I reference them so you can see that you are being hypocritical and pray that you will repent and allow all of God's children to be shown how God has predestianted them for remaining faithful to the end. It is for ALL born again believers and you should be thoughtful enough to give them the truth of the matter.

When you come to an understanding of "Grace" and "predestinated" you will have no trouble understanding all of those passages of scripture which you think are saying things they are not.

God Bless!

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is what I read.

God Bless!

18. eloidalmanutha

That is what I read.

God Bless!
    </font>[/QUOTE]then if the branches are cut off because they do not produce fruit, that means? . . .

19. eloidalmanutha

steavers wrote:
    I reference these scriptures not to say you are going to be lost, you cannot be, Jesus already sealed your destiney. But I reference them so you can see that you are being hypocritical and pray that you will repent and allow all of God's children to be shown how God has predestianted them for remaining faithful to the end. It is for ALL born again believers and you should be thoughtful enough to give them the truth of the matter.

eloidalmanutha:

1 Tim 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

depart from the faith = desert, withdraw, shun, remove, become faithless, no longer have faith or believe in Christ [strong's G868 & G4102]]

2Pe 2:15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam [the son] of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;

forsaken = leave behind, abandon, disregard [strong's G2641]

the right way = straight, level, road = narrow gate [strong's G2117 & G3598]

gone astray = lead away from the truth [Jesus is the Truth], sever, be led off the path = narrow gate [strong's G4105]

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus...As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself , except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

Jesus...He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing .

Jesus...If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Abide in Jesus in order to bear fruit . ALL believers will go through the Refiners fire. ALL believers will bear fruit, some a little some much. ALL believers will have deeds destroyed in the fire and ALL believers will have some gold and silver deeds(those done through abiding in Christ)make it through....1Cr 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Isn't the CONTEXT of the passage "bearing fruit"? This fact along with the full counsel of God's scripture does not allow for an intepretation that one is saved and then lost. It just isn't there! If you believe bearing fruit is needed in addition to Grace to save yourself then you have fallen from Grace just like the Galatians and are going about to make yourself your own savior and casting aside the work of Christ on the cross.

God Bless!