1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Predestination, what did you do to be predestined for Heaven?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by The_Narrow_Road, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Because it is Deity that made the declaration "whosoever believes in me".

If Jesus intended to rule out the "non elect", making it those who are predetermined, Jesus would simply have said "those (meaning only the "elect") who believe in me". He did not, therefore I cannot accept that only the elect are included and that only the elect will at some point in their lives believe, or that only the elect are saved! None of those seems characteristic of the God of the Bible who created all there is and called it all good.

I believe that every man who lives this temporary natural life has an obligation to make the choice for or against Jesus, and that by passively not making the choice, a choice is made against Jesus.

You cannot passively choose Jesus, because that is against the disobience nature that man inherited from Adam and Eve. It is in man's nature to rebel against supreme power whether or not that power be good or bad. Hitler and naziism was bad power and the free world rebelled strongly against it leaving only residue naziism. Jesus is the Good power, yet man rebels against Jesus. So to go with the power, one must actively choose to believe in the power.

If one sits by, passively waiting to be saved from a destiny that rumor has it is bad, then that one will be caught up by the rumored destiny. But if one hears of a savior and actively seeks out that savior, the savior welcomes the one with open arms.

Here's another. You, believing you have favor with a savior, are sitting on a parkbench, waiting for the savior to come and take you to a better place. You hear from passer's by that not too far away a savior is taking those who come to him for a trip to a better place. But you simply keep on sitting and waiting, you are going to miss out because you did not actively seek the savior that you heard was nearby.

2. sturgman

sturgman New Member

Let me try to handle this one before anyone else has fun with it.

Yes, and no calvinist will argue that whosovever believe will be saved.

Your english is as bad as your theology. If Jesus wanted to say what you make him to say we would have said "whosoever is elect." But you are wrong. Whosoever believes, is just that, whosoever believes. It is not Whosoever, it is whosoever believe. And who will believe, the elect.

I would agree with you but I read my bible and that would prove that wrong. And who said that God's election now makes his creation bad? In fact it makes him great, for he did everything, including PHIL 1 Granting me belief.

Romans 3 says that "MAN CAN NOT SEEK GOD". Yet there is still an obligation too. So how do we recon this? The only way you can. God holds us accountable for sin, yet to some of "His good pleasure" he showed mercy too. Man cnanot seek after God, so how on earth can we say that man must seek God for God to accept him? You cannot, God must seek man.

You just said that you must seek God, now you say that it is against his nature. What are you?

Christianity is not dualism with Christian titles. This isn't star wars. Luke against darth. It is a sovereign God who created everything for a purpose, even the evil for the day of destruction (Prov)

"Use the force Luke" [​IMG] Yes man rebels against God because, as you said, it is in his nature to do so. So how is it that some men can rebel against their nature? Wouldn't that make some men smarter, and wiser, and better? And that being said, Heaven would be nothing more than a PHI BETA KAPPA of better people. Sorry my friend, but that is not the case.

You just said that man cannot seek after God, now you are saying that he must go to God! How do you seperate this in your head?

This is impossible, it is what is known as irresistable grace. Not meaning that we don't want it but he forces it on us, but that it is just that, irresistable. If I were in a well dieing and someone lowered a rope I would not question it. It would be irrational. So why do some reject the offer of salvation, it is irrational to do so. It is because, AS YOU SAID, it is against the nature of man to do so. So God regenerates us to respond to him. He gransts us belief.

This is a made up story from your head. It makes not sense, and does not line up with reality. It has never een that any man said, "I wanted to be a Christian, but God wouldn't let me." Nor has it been said, "I am not going to respond to God's calling because I am already elect." The elect will believe, they cannot help it because it is nothing they do, it is a work of God.

Nice try, but maybe next time you tell that story, put a flashlight under your face and make a scary face. It may be more effective.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I assume you double-checked that with Jesus to see if He would have worded it differently?

"Whosoever" in that context does not necessitate that faith is open to free will. You are imposing an interpretation on the text with no more justification than your opinion of what Jesus would or would not say.