1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

predestination

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Doeroftheword, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So it is man's will that he's saved and God then chooses those who have faith in Christ to be saved?

Can you show me that "predestination" is an anthropomorphism? I've never heard it termed that (and yes I know what anthropomorphism means).

2. historyb

historyb New Member

God chooses who He will, His method of choice is His. Man can never choose God, man is a slave to sin only when God chooses man can man come to God and everyone God chooses will always come to Him.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I never said it is man's will that he is saved. Salvation is from the Lord, and He has given us the requirements for who He decides to sovereignly save.

Anything with the prefix "pre" or "fore" is wrapped in time. God is not bound by time, and the only way to be truly omnipresent is to be omnitemporal as well. God exists in all places in all times at the same time. There is no "pre" or "fore" with an omnipresent being.

4. historyb

historyb New Member

pre refers to us not God

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We predestine ourselves :confused:

6. historyb

historyb New Member

No God does, but you were eluding to time which has to do with us. God predestines us, but that does not mean He is constrained by time

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So if God does, predestination does refer to God, or at least how we view God. That is an anthropomorphism. How is something done "before" the creation of time?

8. historyb

historyb New Member

God can do what He wants, He has chosen from before time begin

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

See my other reply in the other thread.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Yes, God has chosen those who will believe the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ! They are the elect.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you saying that God will choose who will believe (His choice, our response)

or

that those who will believe, God will choose? (our choice, God's response)

??

12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding of anthropomorphism is applying human characteristics to God.

For instance, if scripture says God reached out His right hand and struck down someone. "His right hand" is an anthropomorphism, a human characteristic

Predestination is an activity. If I remember correctly, the word means "to mark out or set apart beforehand" and may deal with setting boundary stones for a building project.

Either way, predestination means God set a specific person(s) apart beforehand (before the foundation of the world) for a specific purpose....to be His own posession.

I do not believe the word refers to a general predestination of any who would believe, because then they aren't really marked out "beforehand"... they would be marked out/set apart afterward...after they believed.

That has God responding to what man does in His choice. That is contrary to the meaning of the word.

peace to you:praying:

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

I agree with you completely, and that's exactly how I felt when a very famous Calvinist teacher challenged my free will, evangelical understanding. I was bound and determined to prove him wrong and I studied...and studied...and studied...until a year later, I conceded that everywhere I looked, GOD'S CHOICE of His children was clear. I finally understood the depths of His sovereignty also. However, I also agree that you will find both Arminians and Calvinists dining at the marriage supper. I married a semi-Arminian (who is beginning to change his mind. :saint:

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm still not sure if I chose to become a Calvinist, or predestined to become an Arminian?

Consider that, taken to the logical ends, there is no difference between the two systems of theology!

Ed

15. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Would any parent decide before a child is born that, "I'll treat this child terribly and the next child I will treat very well?"

Is there a difference between fore knowledgeand fore ordained?

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Romans 9:11-13 "Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God's purpose in election might stand: not by works but by him who calls—she was told, "The older will serve the younger." Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.""

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To the above bolded...when we apply time language to an eternal and omipresent God (I Am), that in itself is anthropomorphism.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think that fits in the definition of anthropomorphism:

The attributing of human characteristics and purposes to inanimate objects, animals, plants, or other natural phenomena, or to God. To describe a rushing river as “angry” is to anthropomorphize it.
    from Dictionary.com

It's speaking of characteristics and purposes - not things like time.

19. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Jesus died to "TAKE AWAY" (fulfil) the "LAW" of "Death for sin" (wages of sin) and his death covered "ALL" the sins of the "WHOLE WORLD" that the whole world "MIGHT BE" saved.

Jesus death "DID NOT" take away "SINS", Jesus's death "DID NOT" save a single person, but it did make it possible that the whole world "MIGHT BE" saved, because of the "LAW".

So what is this "MIGHT BE" that God/Jesus "DID NOT" finish at the Cross and "MUST BE" fulfilled before the sin is actually "Taken away" and the "whole world" saved???

If God grace is defined as "predestination", then the work on the cross to saved to whole world was finished, nothing else is required, no sin exist, no one will perish. :tonofbricks:

Ga 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ "MIGHT BE" given to them that believe.

Ro 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe:

You can't correctly interpret any verse in scripture unless it's in context with the whole scripture,

God/Jesus has done everything they can, or will do, to save the whole world, if any perish, it's not God/Jesus will, certainly not because God/Jesus didn't provide them the same opportunity that they "MIGHT BE" saved as everyone else.

God predestined even "ONE" to hell, denies that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world that this "ONE".... "MIGHT BE SAVED".

Jesus took away the "LAW", the sin isn't taken away until the person believes/confess/repent, then and only then is the "Righteousness of Jesus" (died for sins) imputed to the person.

"UNBELIEF", "DISOBEDIENCE", are the only reasons found in scripture that cause people to perish,

God's "foreknowledge" can not, and does not, constitute God "predestine" even "ONE" to perish,

else you pit God against Jesus dying that they might be saved. :eek: :confused:

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dealing and perception within and outside of time encompasses the entire definition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.