1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Predestined to what?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Austin

Austin New Member

My thoughts

Well, this will be my first post in the forum. I have been following this post over the last few days, and all in all I like the way everyone handles themselves. So, here is my 2 cents. :smilewinkgrin: In 2Co 5:18 it says, "To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing there trespasses unto them; and hath comitted unto us the word of reconciliation." (KJV)

I understand this to mean that God has called the world (meaning everyone) to himself. Taking this further I beleive that everyone has been "predestined" to become a son or daughter of God in Christ. Now we begin to see that our commission is real, and that there is real consequense to our action, or lack thereof.

Furthermore we see God's heart in that he called all, but some do not answer, some even openly and knowingly reject and curse him. We then begin to see him in the role of the loving father that scripture says he is, instead of the chess player strategically playing both sides. We begin to see that his heart may ache as our does, and that life does contain true tradgedy even in Gods eyes.

Lastly I look to my own heart, and I encourge you Dads and Moms out there to look to yours. The reason for this is beacause as I am new creature in Christ, my heart now reflects Gods heart. Gods will has become the will of my heart, and the desire of my heart. I know that if I had many children that it would be the desire of my heart for them to be with me always, and to have an intimate relationship with them. With unconditional love (1Co 13) for each of them I would do anything to prove my love for them. Lastly I would love them enough to give them a choice to reject my call, even though I knew it was a matter of life and death. Love cannot be control if it lines up with 1Co 13.

As our story unfolds we see another player. 2Co 4:4 says, "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them that believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." So now our call is even more compelling. We see that the chosen(predestined) sons and daughters have been blinded by satan (the god of this world). As the enlightened ones we now find ourselves witness to a crime. We must remember that the victims here are not just other Homosapiens, but rather they are realted to us, even if it was some distant part of us.

Mt 18:18 says , "Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." (KJV) We see here that as believers God has given us the power of binding and loosing, in Jesus name. We now find that we are operatives motivated and justified by our Captain and moved by the crime we are witnessing. Our commission is being spearheaded by the Holy Spirit. So we can go bodly and in faith to minister reconciliation to those that have been blinded.

Was I predestined to become a Son of God?
    Yes!
    Have there been others that were predestined and called that were blinded?
    Sadly I believe so. I also beleieve that there are those that make conscious choices to stand in the way on the work of the Holy Spirit, and those called to minister reconcilliation.

So, have I missed what Paul was trying to say in Ro 8:29?
    I don't think so, but there are many mysteries that I have yet to understand, and many more that I have not even contemplated. The beatuy of the New Testament in my eye is that it clearly defines the role we are to play as a son or daughter in Christ. It then goes on to reveal Gods will for our life, and the promises that he has for us. As for me I will continue to live my life victoriously and openly in front of a world that needs to know what true Love is. When they ask me what is different about me, and want to know how I live such a great life, I will tell them about a loving God who found a young man that wanted more out of this life, and assurance of the next life. The best part is that I will have the joy of letting them know that the gift of salvation, and the freedom of a new life in Christ was bought and paid for and is available to all who would dare believe in an unblieving world.

I agree with Annsni :)

#181 Austin, Jun 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2006
  2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of your hardening arguments .... They do not harmonize with Deuteronomy 29. I say this For the benefit of others, not you: Deuteronomy 29 is not about hardening, but quite the opposite. It states that the reason Israel did not benefit from seeing the great miracles was because God had not yet given them eyes to see, etc.

#182 npetreley, Jun 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

We are not just discussing the OT covenant with Moses, which is the topic of Deut 29, but the application of Paul's words in regard to the gospel of grace.

No one hear has denied that God must grant understanding. In fact, I have affirmed that God was revealing the secrets of the kingdom to some and hiding it in parables to others. How did he "grant understanding?" By explaining the truth in clear and persuasive manner. How did he keep them from understanding and repenting? By hiding the secrets in parables.

The scripture is clear in Mark 4 that had these secrets not been hidden in parables that these people might have repented. How can that be if indeed all men are born so totally depraved that even the powerful word of truth, inspired by the Holy Spirit, is not alone sufficient to lead one to repentance?

#183 Skandelon, Jun 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please keep on topic, and away from personalities, or the thread will be closed prematurely.

5. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

the doctrine of predestination

This is the doctrine of predestination as set forth in the Westminster Confession for the beliefs of the Presbyterian and Reformed Churches and which is the most perfect expression of the Reformed Faith, we read:
    "God from all eternity did by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely and unchangeable ordain whatsoever comes to pass; yet so as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures, nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established."

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I could agree with this depending upon what they mean by the word "ordain." And I don't really believe it covers the reformed doctrine of predestination in a manner that clearly establishes our points of contention.

#186 Skandelon, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006