1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preemptive Nuclear War vs. Christianity

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Rufus_1611, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The USA would not stand by and allow Iran to attack anyone with nukes.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is naive to believe that the radical mullahs in Iran will not use nuclear weapons when they have them. I believe they will use them either directly or provide them to others who will use them just as soon as it is feasable.

Try and remember that the islamofascists who run Iran have a culture of death and glorify in it. Retaliation won't matter much to those seeking martyrdom.

But I don't believe this is a decision we have to make at all. The Israeli's will act when the need arises. They know they are squarely in the Iranian nuclear bullseye and they won't be willing to stay there.

We should stand ready to support them in the aftermath.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

What is a bigger myth is that somehow the US is poised ready to strike at Iran. There is absolutley no evidence of that.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes, but they act as rulers of a nation, not as individuals. Again, this is basic stuff.

All over. Almost every historical narrative book of the OT has it in there, approved by God and commanded by him. I am not arguing that we should approach war as God commanded Israel to. But I refuting the notion that preemptive war is always unbiblical. It clearly is not, and anyone who says it is hasn't read the Bible ... or doesn't believe it.

#44 Pastor Larry, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No, I used hte word properly, and even defined it as such in my initial usage. You just didn't read closely enough, or decided to change the terms of the conversation. Either way, you were wrong.

Of course not. You know better. You need to read more carefully to see what I actually said and respond to that instead of making stuff up. You make it very hard to have a conversation when you don't respond to what I actually said.

What? That makes no sense whatsoever. Again, I can't help but think you have not read very closely. Try reading what I say and responding to that. It will make the conversation so much easier. Not quite as fun for you since you won't be able to make silly, off topic remarks like this ... and you won't be able to win ... but it will be more truthful and honest and that is always an advantage in conversation.

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Once again, if it was so basic we ought to be able to put some scriptures together and come up with a doctrine to support it. You readily admit that God commanding Israel to judge another nation is not the same thing. What criteria would we use to justify preemptively attacking another nation? If its there, we should be able to find it. I don't believe that the US is in the position to be the moral judges of the world. I'm not saying a nation can't do whatever they want to do, I'm just saying they can't point to the bible and claim the support of God's word to do it. And they certainly can't expect to not reap the rewards.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am opposed to the Bush administration starting a third conflict in the Middle East.

1) Iran has not violated the Non-Proliferation Treaty. Unless it does so, we should leave Iran alone.

2) Our military is already stretched thin. We don't have the manpower for a third conflict.

3) Iran is three times larger than Iraq. We can't bring peace to Iraq. How would we ever do so in Iran?

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Why? Everything we do does not have to be supported by a doctrine. You can imagine the absurdities that begin once you use that standard.

Having said that, the institution of civil government charged to protect its citizens is all the justification we need. You don't wait until your citizens are killed to start protecting them. You protect them from all legitimate threats to their safety.

As I said from the beginning, legitimate dangers.

Again, why?

Me either, but for reasons entirely different than you, I imagine.

Which is a fine thing to say, even if misguided. I am not saying a nation should claim the support of God's word in a war. I am saying that the principle of just war is clearly there and a preemptive strike against a legitimate threat is clearly a part of that.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

As there are no winners of nuclear war, the answer is no.

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

You said..."Even now, the police are authorized to prevent someone from buying a gun if they think it will be used to harm others." I read closely what you wrote and you wrote that the police can prevent someone from buying a gun if "it" will be used to harm others. Thus, if guns can harm people, rather than people being responsible then you're coming off as a gun control advocate. Either way the analogy has been ruined as you did not read the analogy closely to begin with.

You stated that one can not be pro-life and not be in favor of protecting Iraqi children from Saddam. 650,000 Iraqis are dead as a result of the police action by the USA in Iraq and many of those dead are children. Thus, this matches the Janet Reno child protection policy she exhibited in Waco. If one was seriously interested in protecting the lives of Iraqi children, they would not be in favor of shocking and awing them.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh Lordy!

Not again.:rolleyes:

Some people will embrace any outrageous claim that suits their agenda.:BangHead:

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I asked you the last time you did this to define "Lordy" and you ignored the question, so I will ask you again. What is your definition of "Lordy"? It sounds to me like you are using the Lord's name in vain but I would not desire to accuse you of that without giving you an opportunity to defend your statement.

Some people will reject solid statistical analysis when it suits their agenda to do so.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You're just being silly. I am not a gun control advocate unless you mean by that, everyone should control a gun. Guns harm people because people don't control them. And if a person is trying to buy a gun to harm someone, then the police can stop that person. Again, you simply did not read very closely and said something silly and are not trying to defend it. Just say, "Sorry, I misunderstood" and this will go away.

No I didn't. Go back and read what I said. There is a word you left out, and that word is important.

No, it is doubtful that it is anywhere near that high. You are just reaching for anything you think can help you. Furthermore, a large number of the dead are dead from Iraqi violence, not American troop action.

No it is in no way similar to that at all. Again, think before you say this silly stuff.

I tend to agree, but this is not really about that, is it? I don't know that the "shock and awe" killed any children, or innocent people. I have no idea, but that is not really the point here.

Please don't, in your attempt to defend your misreading, make up stuff or change the subject. If you want to talk about something else, feel free, but don't do it in response to my comments.

14. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Sorry, I misunderstood.
    The number is likely higher. I'm reaching for the most credible statistical analysis relative to the topic at hand. Johns Hopkins seems to have it and there are many in the field that have supported the analysis (see response to Carpro).

It is quite similar. You don't go into an arena on a pretext that you're going to save the children and then go about killing children. Think before you say this silly stuff.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have seen those numbers before. They don't add up.

If you think about it, you see that it isn't silly. I didn't "go into an arena on a pretext that [we're] going to save children." There is much more than children at stake, and adults matter too. There were thousands and thousands gassed by a brutal tyrannical dictator who was believed to possess the abilities to do far more than he had already done. That was a serious issue. It is in no way similar to Reno at Waco.

16. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Will you please point me to your figures and analysis so I might review your math? Perhaps, the peer-reviewed John Hopkins folks forgot to carry a one or something?

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't remember. It was some time ago and I don't save those links. "Peer reviewed" is no guarantee of accuracy. There are people who disagree with Johns Hopkins and you have simply dismissed them.

18. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Who are the people you speak of? George W Bush and Carpro?

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An "estimate" (not an actual count) like the Lancet study that has a plus or minus margin of error of 30% is hardly one I'd embrace as accurate.

Those adept at statististical analysis laugh at such a large margin of error.

20. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

These "estimates" are used in statistical analysis all the time. Since Iraq is completely out of control and it is not safe for people to go outside of the green zone (not all that safe inside either), how would you do an actual count? You said the study has a +- of 30% accuracy so be it. 655,000 *.7 = 455,000. May we use this number?

I gave you a whole bunch of folks that are adept at statistical analysis and are quite sober about the matter, who are your adepts that are laughing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.