1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preferred shift

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 15, 2008.

?
  1. Day shift (8-5)

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Evening shift (3-11)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Night shift (11-7)

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. rotational shift

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None of the above

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Which shift do you prefer working, given choices?

2. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I tried most shifts, but I really prefer working day time. I also lucky to work daytime only since a few years.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like graveyard for two reasons. For one, I have my days off and I am able to take care of persona business without having to take time off of work. And then night shift tends to be a bit more slower.

In my current (paying job) I work 5 am to 1 pm.

Salty

4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I voted "none of the above" and "other". I like day shift but at a different slant than what you have listed. I like 7:00am to 5:30pm(10 hour day) four days a week. I have worked all shifts, I just don't sleep well during th day if I'm working nights.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer working from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., lunching from 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., then working from 1:30 p.m. - 4 p.m. five days a week.

Of course that's only a 20 hour work week, but that's my preference. :)

My current job keeps me busy from 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday at minimum. I often work early/late and on weekends to get projects done.

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I'm with JerryL. I'm at full potential during daylight hours. Although I chose 8-5, I often work 5am to many times sundown.

7. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I really liked working early morning, starting at 6:00 am. It was like working half a day, then having the rest of the day to do what I wanted. Working second was awful. Having to go to work in the middle of the day, then working until late at night was miserable. I have not worked third.

love,

Sopranette

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

When I worked in a factory I enjoyed working the midnight shift. It took a while getting used to it, but once I adjusted I enjoyed it.

Obviously that shift does not work for a pastor.

9. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I've worked dayshift (8:00-5:00 or 6:00) all my adult life EXCEPT for a year-and-a-half stint at a second-shift a couple years ago. My body clock liked that second shift best (I slept better, woke up without an alarm, etc.), BUT everyone else that matters to me was on a day shift, so I never got to spend time with them! So I guess I'd rather wake up bleary-eyed at 6:00 and work day shift henceforth!

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I work 2nd now, and don't like it. Before that, we had a 2-shift operation 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 7p to 7a. I was on nights, and I like that better because it required 7 days of work for every 2 weeks and 8 hours overtime were automatically included. (48 hours one week, 36 the next). But we were cut down, and now I have 10 trips every 2 weeks and just 40 hours/wk with virtually no chance of ot. More mileage, less money, less desirable hours-- it's evenings (when I'm at work) that things go on-- meetings, sports events, hanging out, ... Missing half the evenings (going in at 7 p.m.) isn't too bad, but missing all of them is the negative about this.

Otherwise, I once worked in a factory with a standard 10-hour day (6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and 4 day work week, and that was good-- except I was taking 6 to 10 hours of credits during that time, and I'm sure it hurt my grades; more because of the 'burnout' factor than the hours.

11. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I work the day shift although my hours are different than those listed. I go to work at about 6:00 and work until surgery is done.

12. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I have worked all three shifts in a factory, including rotation.

I couldn't stand rotation because my body does not adjust that fast.

First shift was my favorite because I worked while my kids were in school and we had the evening together.

Second shift wasn't too bad because I could get my work done at home before I went to work, but then I had to have a babysitter.

Third shift was terrible because I couldn't stay awake at work and I couldn't sleep in the daytime.

I'm glad those days are over! I'm a homemaker now and I work 24/7. :)

13. glenn316

glenn316 New Member

Well I have been working the night shift for 22 years, and I love it. (the shift premium is nice too!)

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Sounds like you hit your stride, got paid to sleep and had days to yourself... :laugh:

I chose other, I'm habitually late, regularly ill and never know if I'm coming or going. I start out driving one place and end up some where entirely different. ADD sucks unless you learn to make light of it.

Yep, I think I found my one true vocation, Pastor... :BangHead:

15. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

What were you saying?...I got distracted with.....oh, LOOK, there's a butterfly....

[​IMG]

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yep, pretty much... Couple that with stuttering and you'll know why I don't usually do the pastor's emphasis on Sunday.

Here's my resume.

paper boy = fired
    Cashier = fired
    Put labels on bottles for a chemical company = ask to resign.

The military was the only regular job I kept for any period of time and to be honest, I didn't keep it. It kept me. I was a fish out of water so they gave me jobs like CQ (Charge of Quarters) which is watching the empty sleeping quarters while eveyone else was away. SOG (Sergeant Of the Guard) which was dropping off and picking up everyone from their guard post. Fire guard which was watching for fires while everyone else slept and my personal favorite, counting supplies (which were never used so no chance one would be missing from the last count).

I also drove the commander a lot but he generally liked to do the driving so I was just along for the ride and got to watch/wash/fuel his vehicle. I accidentially dropped the oil dipstick against the battery box and the spark started a small fire so they didn't even let me look under the hood.

Did you know the lug nuts on the passanger side of a 2 1/2 ton truck are reversed thread from the ones on the drivers side? Strangest thing I've ever seen. Needless to say they didn't let me back in the motor pool after I loosend all the passenger lug nuts thinking I was tightening them.

They had me mow the lawn with a riding lawnmower but I guess I missed a few too many spots (butterflies were pretty though :). On KP I over-peeled a 100lb bag of potato's (made each like a french fry) and used cold water to clean the geasy kitchen floor so the mess Sergeant swore I would never be back there.

I painted a building once (I was actually proud of it) but it was painted again a week later by a different person. I forgot to mention I'm partially color blind and I guess they had different shades of the same color... Looked good to me.

My actual job was fixing radio's. Graduated top of the class and a month ahead of the guys I started with so they sent me to a couple of advanced radio repair schools (theory). I wasn't long in the shop long before they found I was best at inventorying the toolboxes, parts runs, the guy who grabbed the other end of the heavy stuff etc... Then they'd loan me out to the supply guys so I could count supplies (which were never used so no chance one would be missing from the last count).

Yep, the Lord took me when the rest of the world tossed me away. I always tell people if He can use an inept guy like me then He can certainly find a good use for them.

17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I've worked the night shift on two jobs. I hated it. I never could get used to sleeping during the day.

18. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

When I used to work I preferred the grave yard shift. Now that I'm retired I don't have to work and voted "none of the above".

19. sister christian

I voted none of the above.

I should have been able to stay at home and take care of my family. Therefore none of the shifts is a "preferred shift." It is very violating for me to have to work and not be at home caring for my family, but God never answered the only prayer I ever prayed- to give me a husband, so instead, it goes against everything that is in me to have to leave my kids and work when I should be home caring for them. I am not meant for this.

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I prefer a 7:30a to 4:00p with a half hour for lunch. I like being home by 5:30p.