1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Preparing a Truthful, Calvinistic Sermon (by a Calvinist)

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

steavers OP simply demonstrates ignorance of what the Doctrines of Sovereign Election and Grace are.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah we heard that worn out line now for weeks. Is this OP sermon about the Doctrines of Sovereign Election and Grace?

Remember, not one Calvinist pointed out any part of my sermon which was a dishonest representation of Calvinism and why. No, not one..........

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which only proves you are completely ignorant of what Calvinism is and what a Calvinistic sermon looks like. Let me help you there.

A Calvinistic sermon focuses on the sovereignty of God, the holiness of God, the sufficiency of the Word of God, the sinfulness of man, the saving power of the Gospel, and most importantly, CHRIST! A Calvinistic sermon calls on the Christian hearer to take action. It calls on the sinner to repent and believe. The Calvinistic sermon does not concern itself with preaching to the elect. Why? Because who is elect (or not) is known only by God. God has ordained the means of salvation (the preaching of the gospel) and the Calvinist preacher has no greater joy than to be used to preach that message. The idea that a Calvinistic sermon must somehow mention TULIP or "the elect" in every sentence comes from your fanatical obsession with all things Calvinist. You have created a Calvinist Boogeyman that exists only in your fertile and misguided imagination.

4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the only reason you and your cohorts are in this thread is because Squire closed the other one. You are like a moth drawn to the flame. You cannot help yourself.

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is nothing in your OP sermon which is specifically Calvinistic, correct? The sermon could be preached by an Arminian preacher who disdains Calvinism.

6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Incorrect. To you a Calvinistic sermon must mention Calvinism either by name of doctrinal distinctive. To the Calvinist preacher every time he preaches it is a Calvinistic sermon for the reasons I have previously stated. You cannot see it because you are blinded by your anti-Calvinist obsession. Just look at your signature line. You cannot help yourself.

#26 Reformed, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you even know how to preach? Do you even have the slightest idea of what it is to exegete a text?

I absolutely 100% concur that not everyone is elect. That is fact and I know it galls you, steaver, and few other board members I will not even waste my breath naming. But just because I know only the elect will respond to the gospel call, I am not going to focus my preaching on those whom God has not called. That knowledge is withheld from me. Only God knows those whom He has called. I plead with those who hear my words to believe because maybe, just maybe, God is calling them to be one of His sheep at that moment. Can you not get that, or is your skull so thick from anti-Calvinist mania that you are incapable?

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe if you define your sermon as "Calvinistic" then it would certainly have something to do with Calvinism!! And yours does not......it could be defined as an "Arminian" sermon, but as I always said, Calvinist preachers preach Arminian. They would not dare preach the conclusions of Calvinism while evangelizing...wonder why?

9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad you commented in this thread. It proves how tone deaf you are.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think we get that, but that is not specific to Calvinism, Arminian believes the same as they preach the Gospel. The OP point is it is defining the sermon as "Calvinistic" yet it has no mention of Calvinism theology within it.

11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To those who have the common sense to listen with their mind and not just their ears:

Every sermon a Calvinist preacher preaches is a Calvinistic sermon. Every single one. Why? Because the Calvinist believes that the sovereignty of God is inherent to every part of biblical truth. The simpleton argues, "That cannot be a Calvinist sermon! Where is Limited Atonement? Where is Total Depravity? Where is the damnation of the non-elect?" They argue that way because of their blind hatred for Calvinism and their inability to understand that which they hate.

If I were to preach on the love of God I would preach it from a rabid Calvinist heart. I would tell those gathered that we love Him because He first loved us. I would extol God for having blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, in Christ. I would call to memory His love in providing us with food, drink, clothing, and shelter. I would praise Him for such a great salvation through Christ, who died for His sheep.

If I were to preach on holiness I would explain the holy nature of God and how we are to "be holy as I Am holy". I would implore those in attendance to put off the old man and put on the new man; to be holy in all their behavior. I would encourage them, that even though they may fall into sin, they need only repent - confess their sins - and they will be restored into fellowship with their heavenly Father.

If I were to preach on forgiveness of sins, I would not launch into a soteriological polemic on supralapsarianism. I would not say, as others have accused Calvinists of in a mocking tone, that if they are non-elect they will burn in the fires of hell. What an evil thing to say even in jest. No. I would preach Christ and call on sinners to repent and believe. What hope do I offer them if I tell them it is impossible for them to do so? If they do repent and believe then that is proof enough that they are numbered among God's elect. Is the Calvinist preacher in the position of God, to determine who is able to be saved? Perish the thought! May God grant mercy and forgiveness to those who believe so or who even joke about such a thing.

#31 Reformed, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Steaver, you guys preach lies when you state in the pulpit Christ died for everyone and left nobody out. Look at the OT alone. God chose Noah and seven others and destroyed everyone else. He chose Abram to be the 'father of many nations'. Aaron and the high priests made sacrifices for Israel. The philistines, perrizites, hittites, edomites, amorites, jebusites, ammonites, et al, had not the Old Covenant given to them...

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:jesus::godisgood::jesus::godisgood:

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And do you preach honestly from the pulpit that Christ only died for a few of you out there.............thought so.......point remains.

15. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I could just as easily say that, if Calvinists do indeed preach as Reformed has stated, then they are also 'lying.'
    I really don't see how a Calvinist can believe that only a few are Elect and no others are even offered opportunity, and can then still look a congregation in the eye and tell them how much God loves them all.

But I don't want to accuse anyone of lying. Then again, "Let God be true, and every man a liar."

Noah, the Bible basically describes, was the only "perfect and just man" in his generation. Several of the Biblical patriarchs of Genesis 5 were still alive during Noah's generation. There is a reason God chose him out. There is a reason God blessed Abraham, Aaron, Moses, and Jabez. Something they did, being upright, and just, led to God either blessing them or calling them out.

To ascribe that solely as God loving one group or one person over another is not necessarily wrong, but I fear it's a bit shortsighted.

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is not a "Calvinistic" sermon. It is a "Biblical" sermon not specific to Calvinism alone, and one might hear it just as well from an Arminian preacher.

And so would the Arminian preacher. These truths are not specific to Calvinist preachers.

I have heard many Arminian preachers honestly tell folks if they do not receive Jesus Christ as Saviour they will burn in hell. Why would that be evil? Jesus taught it.

Exactly! That is Arminian preaching....A Calvinistic sermon would not offer hope for ALL......

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hit a nerve huh? The truth can be a tough pill. All of this is not a good excuse to hide your doctrine. See I do not have to withhold any doctrine when I preach.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I tell people Christ came into this world to save sinners...

I tell people Christ shall save His people from their sins...

I tell people to be reconciled to God...

I tell people the sin of the world was placed upon Christ...

I tell people if they fail to repent they will suffer eternal torment in the lake of fire..

I tell them this and leave the saving in God's hand...

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you tell them not everyone is offered the grace of God?

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Tony, God never chooses people because of something 'special' within them, as it appears you're saying. That's not grace. That's merit. God doesn't 'scratch My back and I'll scratch yours' in regards to how He deals with people...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.