1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preparing the Battlefield

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jun 29, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pot/kettle

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hersch is predicting the future, not reciting history.

Opinion and bias is all he's got, brother.:tonofbricks:

Well, not all...

He's also been known to play fast and loose with his facts and quotes.

#23 carpro, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The facts themselves prove you wrong brother. Best if you stick to your game plan and keep refusing to acknowledge them altogether.

CAUTION!

Convoluted rhetoric expert on board! :laugh:

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hersch's history of fabricating evidence and intentionally misquoting anonymous sources makes all his stories suspect, to say the least.

I'm not surprised you ignore his history when he advocates a conspiracy you are particularly fond of.

The facts, much more often than not, prove Hersch wrong. What other "facts" do I need.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You haven't given us any facts at all Carpro. (opinion does not equal facts) All you've done so far is use the well worn ruplicrat ruse of demonizing the messenger.

Either put up or...give up. :wavey:

#26 poncho, Jul 10, 2008
  7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell that to Hersch.

I didn't write the opinion piece that you take as the gospel.

I just have higher standards for proof of conspiracies than you do.

Let me rephrase that. You don't have any standards for the truth at all if you like the conspiracy. I doubt they're even as high as Hersh's and his are notoriously low.

8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

If that is the case, why did the two high-ranking Iraqi officials who traveled to Iran in May ask the Iranians to stop supplying weapons to militants in Iraq? They brought evidence with them.

Hersch cites sources such as "A government consultant says…",,,"A former defense official says…",,,"A former intelligence officer says…" in his investigative reporting. Basically any anonymous source with a juicy rumour to pass along is the basis for his articles.

In 2005, Hersch said that US forces were inside Iran scouting out targets for air strikes.

In 2006 he wrote that the US was close to using nuclear weapons against Iran, that "the planning is hectic, and far beyond the contingency work that is routinely done. "

And now in 2008 he has rolled these retreads back out for your consideration. Hersch just doesn't have a very good track record on Iran.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Seems like you and NS took Bush's word as the gospel on Iraq when he had even less proof than Hersch so I really don't see where you have anything on me when it comes to any "standard for truth" Carpro. Anyway I can tell when you start getting desperate in your attempts to defend the corporate corruption state...you start tossing the word "conspiracy" around like it's the end all discussion weapon or something.:laugh:

And talk about "retreads" NS, Bush on Iran is just Bush on Iraq act II. The way I see it neither of you have much room to lecture anyone about falling for "juicy rumors". So far youse two done it once, twice...

#29 poncho, Jul 10, 2008
  10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

:laugh:
    Of course, Ann Coulter has no bias, right?

Regards poncho, hope all is well with you and yours,
    BiR

P.S. Interesting avatar you have....

#30 Baptist in Richmond, Jul 10, 2008
  11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Knowing the history of the Bush administration, there is no reason to doubt the accuracy of these.

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Right. Except that Hersch's predictions of imminent attack have failed to materialize since 2005.

Even the Iranians don't believe it, and Ahmadinejad recently called fears that Iran would come under attack, "a funny joke".

13. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well, you have about 7000 posts, most of them promoting one rumour or another that you've accepted with the highest of confidence. If anyone is lecturing, it might be you Ponch. If you don't want anyone to contradict or disagree, why put all that stuff out here?

Bush hasn't nuked anyone, hasn't herded thousands of Americans into concentration camps, and I've yet to see a single Amero.

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yeah. I guess I've probably made a difference. Thanks for noticing but I can't take all the credit NS. It was all those Americans who stood up for their country and questioned the government's motives, brought history to peoples attention and fought tooth and nail to bring the truth to the forefront that has really made the difference.

You're just upset everyone doesn't love and trust the corporate corruption state like you all do. I understand that.

Real men stand against fascism even if it means we aren't part of the in crowd. Fitting in isn't important to me.

That's why I questioned Bush on Iraq and you didn't. That's why I'm questioning Bush on Iran and you aren't.

That's why I wasn't fooled the first time around, and that's why I'm not being fooled this time around.

BTW, I wasn't fooled by the fools telling us the economy was doing "great", I wasn't fooled by the fools telling us the NAU is a "conspiracy theory" and I'm certainly not being fooled by all the fools telling us international terrorism is the greatest threat we face.

Because I know that Peanuts Are A Greater Danger To Americans Than Terrorists.

And, I also know the warfare/welfare state (Govcorp Inc.) can't get what it covets most...more power, more funding and more control by telling the truth.

#34 poncho, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  15. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

So essentially, you're taking credit for the fact that Bush hasn't nuked any of our cities, or gathered up US citizens into concentration camps, or created North American union? Here, I'll give you an attaboy :thumbs:

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hogwash! Try that quote on one of the thousands of people who lost loved ones on 9/11.

If terrorists aren't a threat to the US, it's because our military is doing a GREAT job protecting us. They have thwarted MANY possible attacks that never made it to the news. I know because I have eyewitness accounts from family members who currently serve in the military.

It's easy to sit back in our easy chairs and pretend everything is fine when we aren't the ones personally fighting these terrorists.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks in large part to reporters such as Mr. Hersh keeping us informed on this issue so that Bush administration can't do this without we Americans knowing its plans.

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I don't do it for glory I do it because I'm an American and I love my country and I'm not afraid of being different and made fun of unlike many here who love the government and their political party and care not what happens to the country so long as their team wins in the end and they get to feel like they're part of some "in" crowd. That's just sick and twisted.

Try clicking the link (blue lettering is a link not a quote) and reading the article before typing again eh? May save you from sounding foolish twice in the same thread. :smilewinkgrin:

Amen to that Ken! The way some folks act around here you'd think that warning them that their government is corrupt and up to no good is akin to slapping their mother around or something. I can't think of anything more un-American than loving and trusting the government over and above your country and it's people. Neither could George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, James Madison...etc., etc. You know those old time "radicals" who stood up to tyranny instead of aiding it.

#38 poncho, Jul 12, 2008
  19. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I DID follow the link, Poncho, and yes, it also read as a statement the way you used it in your post. Frankly, I'm surprised you'd post a link for an article with cursing in it. What's "foolish" is a false belief that terrorists pose little or no threat to us.

20. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

So I take it you don't think it's foolish to assume what another believes then?

I never said terrorists pose little or no threat to us, I don't believe I've ever even implied that, although I've been accused of it a few times. I can see where a person would jump to that conclusion when reading my posts because frankly I just don't buy into all the overblown hype and joining you brave patriots living in fear cowering in the corner while giving unlimited power to the government or joining a North American Union for "protection" when the cold hard stats tell me peanuts have killed more Americans than international terrorists. And that Americans are a gazillion times more likely to die from falling in the tub than a terrorist attack.

I understand that there are many people out there who are just so blinded by all the government and media hype and fearmongering that they can no longer think rationally so I'm used to this kind of response but the cursing? One word? WoW!

You'd prefer to stay uniformed and fearful rather than overlook one word in a five page report to gain some much needed perspective on an issue of this importance to every American? No wonder this country is going down the tubes. You're all letting a handful of cave dwelling criminals rule over your minds.

I believe I'll pass on that one thank you very much. I will have another chunk of that peanut brittle though because I'm not about to let a handful of dangerous peanuts rule over my mind either because I believe that would be just as foolish. ;)

And I also believe that using the unfortunate victims of a tragedy as a tool for leverage in a debate is more shameful than posting the link to a factual report with one little curse word in it. I suppose I should have added a warning like, "Warning this factual five report contains one or two little curse words...read at your own risk!"

For not adding a warning I apologize. I mistakenly assumed we were all grown ups here. How foolish of me.

#40 poncho, Jul 12, 2008