1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preparing to hear from God

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastorba, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Pastorba

Pastorba New Member

As a pastor I am well aware of the expectations of my congregation on my preparedness when I enter the pulpit to preach. They rightly expect me to have spent enough time in the Scriptures to give them an accurate interpretation and then be able to effectively apply that truth to their everyday lives.

My question is for the lay people out there. What do you do to prepare to hear from God in the message? Please be as specific as possible as I am trying to help my people "prepare" themselves to hear from God in the messages.

By specific I mean something like, "I get up at 7:00 am and pray for my pastor to preach freely and with authority and that God will show me exactly the truth that I need for that day. I then ask Him to give me the courage and ability to obey His truth." Instead of an example like, "I pray to prepare myself."

Thank you all for your responses. I am just trying to do my best to communicate clearly the wonderful truths of the Gospel message. [​IMG]

2. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

My church has two prayer rooms, one for women and the other for men. These rooms are open at any time to just go in and pray. I have used them before the service starts to pray that God would be with the pastor and the message that God has laid upon his heart. Also, that God would clear my thoughts that I may recieve every word that will be spoken and not get sidetracked on something else that happen the day before or similiar things like that. Also, that God would not only clear my thoughts, but open my heart that I might receive what the preacher has to say so that I may hide it in my heart and let it be lived/shined in my live. I also pray that the message will witness to the lost that are here, that they might receive Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. But, I pray throughout the week that the Holy Spirit will help the pastor in his studies so that, as you said, "accurate interpretation and then be able to effectively apply that truth to their everyday lives."

BTW, my pastor has never said anything that I never agreed with. Probably because we both hold God's word as our final authority in faith and practice.

God bless,
    HomeBound

3. micahaaron

micahaaron New Member

In times past, for me, I must have faith to believe God has a word for me, to come expecting that God will speak to me. And God speaks to me. Many times though, I don't, and that is why we need praise and worship before the sermon to get our minds and heart going, to receive and hear a word from the Lord. It's like spiritual warfare. Mark 4 talks about the Seed and the Sower, and how the seed is the word of God, and the four fields are the four fields of our heart. Your odds of people receiving is 1 out of 4. 75% of the time they are distracted.
    I think we need to learn to believe in God who speaks, to mentally concentrate, to listen carefully, to critically think through message as its being spoken and connect the dots spiritually and finally practice the message.

MA