1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Presbyterian acceptance of other baptisms

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by saturneptune, Oct 25, 2007.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

A question crossed my mind the other day with all the talk of immersion in Baptist churches. If a Baptist who has been immersed joined a Presbyterian (or any other mainstream Protestant denomination), would they accept a Baptist baptism?

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The short answer is yes. I was immersed in a Baptist church and am now a member of Presbyterian church. No re-baptism required.

The mode of baptism is much less of an issue in Presbyterian church than in a Baptist church. While pouring and sprinkling are more common, I know of situations where someone requested to be immersed and the Presbyterian pastor agreed.

BTW, we would view your baptism as a Christian baptism -- not a Baptist baptism.

Hope this helps.

FOS

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Friend of Spurgeon, I don't want to hyjack this thread, but you could answer a question for me quickly?
    What is the difference between Presbyterian USA and PCA?

Thank you!

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My dad is a PCA member, and I believe that group is much more conservative than USA, such a women deacons, literal interpretation of the Bible, tolerance of gay rights, etc. I am sure it goes deeper than that.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I am a deacon of a PCA church. Here's a quote from the PCA web site:

"It separated from the Presbyterian Church in the United States (Southern) in opposition to the long-developing theological liberalism which denied the deity of Jesus Christ and the inerrancy and authority of Scripture. Additionally, the PCA held to the traditional position on the role of women in church offices."

That being said, there are a lot of good PCUSA churches out there and I don't want to throw another denomination under the bus. On the whole though, we are more conservative -- both socially and theologically -- though we are far from being homogenous.

Hope this helps.

6. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: Years ago, I atended a Presbyterian church service that had both sprinkling and immersion baptisms. One near the beginning of the service, and one near the end of the service. The different types of baptisms were not mentioned. I think that church went the PCA route.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the typical person presented for baptism at Presbyterian churches has not assented to it and in fact has no clue what is even going on, they are in no place to quibble with a member who has, as a believer, submitted to the historic Christian mode of baptism.

8. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

While it is true that infants of believing parents are baptized in Reformed & Presbyterian churches, new Christians who are adults, teens, etc. are baptized as well. If the adults are also parents, then the whole household is baptized.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ok, good stuff.

I know Dr. Piper has mentioned that though he invites pedobaptists/Presbyterians to speak on his Pastor's Conference, they can never be members at his church without adult baptism.

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I realize that it doesn't work the other way around. If we joined a Baptist church, my wife & kids would need to be baptized again.

Question: would Dr. Piper require another baptism if the adult was not immersed the first time around?

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

From what I've read and heard of him, I will confidently say yes, because of what he believes about baptism but not in a regenerational sense, but portrayal sense.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Several have mentioned that in some settings, Presbyterians baptize adults by immersion. If this were the case, do you think a Baptist church would accept that baptism?

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I never thought they baptized by immersion. On what grounds?

14. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Typically, adults, children and infants are baptized either by pouring or sprinkling. Each church is a little different & if you sit in the back, you probably can't see the difference.

However, I've known of a few instances where an adult was immersed. This is a rare occurence, but it has happened.

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. Piper proposed that his church should amend their constitution and "welcome into membership candidates who, after a time of study, discussion, and prayer, prescribed by the Elders, retain a conviction that it would be a violation of their conscience to be baptized by immersion as believers."

This is Piper's personal viewpoint; he has submitted to the church's rejection of his constitutional amendment (due to what he termed as "flak") for now, but has vowed to bring it up again once he can built enough support.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Well, saturneptune, since we are members of the same Baptist church, a couple of questions:
    1. What do you think our church would do?
    2. What do you think our church should do?

You already know my position.
    No to both questions.

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Presbyterian infant baptism is little more than "baby dedication". It has no other meaning at all.

The "Believer" that chooses to be baptized whether Presbyterian or Baptist is taking a very different step than the infant.

As far as I know Presbyterians accept full baptism in other Christian churches... but Baptists and SDAs and all those who practice believers baptism by immersion would have someone baptized by immersion even if they were already "sprinkled" as a believer at some other church.

(Not sure what "community churches" do that are really baptist churches)

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Since in our particular case, the Constitution says from a Baptist church of like faith and order, your answers are correct. This is not true in all Baptist churches. It is also no longer true if a local congregation votes for something different.

19. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

20. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Baptisms

There is definitely more to it than a baby dedication; I wish there wasn't.:confused:

You will have to do a little study on Covenant Theology. See you in a few years when you get it figured out.:laugh: I was raised in it and still don't quite see where they found it in scripture.