1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Presbyterian U.S.A.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Nicholas25, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I live in East Tennessee and I am just curious if this denomination is the same as the Presbyterian Church that is common in my area and probably around the area of most. Where the Presbyterians and the Presbyterian U.S.A. once united? Thanks and I hope you guys understand what I am asking.

2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I can't speak for what churches are in your area but the two major Presbyterian factions I know of are PCUSA and PCA. PCUSA I believe is the older of the two and their major seminary is still Princeton. PCA split off from them and is typically more conservative; their major seminary is Westminster. Hopefully, someone with a little more knowledge on the subject can help you out. I would recommend checking out the websites of both branches to find out more info.

BJ

3. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The two largest Presbyterian denominations in the US are the Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA) and the Presbyterian Church of America (PCA). However, there are other smaller Presbyterian denominations including the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC) and the Evangelical Presbyterian Church of America (EPCA).

I have listed some differences below and have attempted to be fair (especially since TragicPizza will be reading). Both the PCUSA and PCA share the same heritage and hold to the reformed faith. And you will find many good local churches in both denominations. Personally, I have attended both, and am currently a member of a PCA church.

The PCUSA is the older and larger denomination, and is normally more liberal than the PCA. Princeton Seminary is one of their major seminaries, though I personally know two PCA pastors who went to Princeton.

The PCA is the smaller and younger of the two. It broke away from the PCUSA in the 1980's, and is more conservative. The denomination's seminary is Covenant Seminary in St. Louis, but also supports/works with other seminaries such as Reformed Seminary and Westminster Seminary.

I hope this information is helpful. For more information, you may want to visit the various web sites.

4. Smoky

Smoky Member

Cumberland Presbyterians seperated from the main body in early 1800s, and are arminian accept they believe in OSAS. Today they are mostly in the South.