1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Presbyterians Ordain Homosexual Minister!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 9, 2011.

?
  1. It is against the Word of God...

26 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. It was bound to happen (see my comment)....

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. It makes no difference (see my comment)...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. One day the Baptist denomination will ordain homosexuals...

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. It is not for me to judge (see my comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Okay as long as the homosexual minister remains celibate..

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. I would attend a church with a homosexual minister...

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. I will teach my children these denominations are practicing sin...

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  9. It is what it is. There is nothing that will stop this from infecting other denominations...

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  10. Judging these denominations are as much a sin as being homosexual...

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As they (the old guard of religious denominations) fall, it was not a surprise to read that the Presbyterian Church ordained their first homosexual minister.

What I would like to know is what you feel about these main line denominations falling in line with political correctness and the need to exhibit a sense of social tolerance? :tear:

SEE: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/9/presbyterians-ordain-first-gay-minister/

http://www.christianpost.com/news/presbyterian-church-usa-to-ordain-first-gay-minister-57623/

Please take a minute and provide input into the poll, and leave a comment!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is amazingly sad. We were members of a PCUSA before we came to our current church and my husband was an elder there. We were very active in fighting this stuff back in the 80s but I believed it was just a matter of time. I believe there will be a number of PCUSA churches that are going to seek to jump to the PCA at this point. I hope my old church will do so! :(

3. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann....

The survey is now up, please take time to respond. :thumbs:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you knew this was happening...even then. Just look at their history......the agenda was always apostate.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It was - but not in the church we attended. Our pastors taught strongly against what was happening (this was back with the ReImagining conference way back when and the goddess worship) and fought hard in the presbytery but knowing sin and the fact that it had already infiltrated enough to even get a voice, we knew this was possibly going to be the future. We talked back in the '80s about leaving the PCUSA but we personally left soon after. It was a good solid Bible church but they were a little "old school" in some things and we needed more for our family so we moved over to the Baptist church we're in now. But I know that church still stands on the Word of God and so, while I've not heard from anyone over there yet about this, I'd not be surprised if they jumped.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It was obviously coming since their general council met this summer and removed the celibacy requirement for ordained ministers. That decision led the way to this.

I have a good friend who is a minister in the denomination and he is sick about the direction. His church has decided to stay in (they had a BIG meeting about it) because they believe they need to be a light in the midst of this darkness.

It's a terrible decision, obviously. The capitulation to the warped theological/sociological agenda that will, in the end, destroy their denomination. Here's the thing, I don't know of a church that embraces this theology that continues to grow and see God's blessings. I don't know one.

But who is surprised about this? We're going to continue to see this as long as this agenda is pushed. The sad thing is they have zero grounds biblically and theologically. I've had the debates with them and they always fail to make their point.

One of the big reasons is, imho, most believers who oppose this agenda (rightly so) are under-informed about what it takes to effectively refute their claims. It is, like many things, a complicated argument but one that can/should be made and made known among believers.

7. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

This is a shame, but it is 80 years in the making.

Homosexuality is the final few doctrines to collapse, not the first one. If you recall, this denomination had heralds for over 80 years talking about their fall into liberalism. Westminster was founded to combat modernism that was taking root in Princeton, and J. Greshem Machen founded the OPC denomination. Of course, some conservatives remained but they eventually left to form what is now the PCA.

The beginning of liberalism appeared small but it was theologically significant. This seed of liberalism has grown into an invasive weed strangling out what real fruit remains.

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

"One day the Baptist denomination will ordain homosexuals..."

Baptist is not a denomination.

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, You Have My Attention...

....if the Baptist church is not a denomination, what is it?

And before you answer this, please keep in mind that you are not taking me on, in regard to this definition. You are taking on Merriam Webster, the Dictionary. So when you finish being the final voice on this issue, I would suggest you send an official letter to Merriam Webster and correct them on their "error!" :laugh:

SEE: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/denomination

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Baptists are denominations, some aren't. There are already Baptist churches who ordain homosexuals.

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion Baptist is not a denominational name but a doctrinal identity. A secular dictionary is not always the best place to find theological answers. :)

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now That is Interesting....

That is an amazing claim, can you identify them?

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alliance of Baptists

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

15. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

There are denominations that are Baptist, but Baptist is a faith...a set of doctrinal stances.

16. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi TCassidy

You said.....
    This is correct.

Therefore, didn’t the SBC steal that name for their denomination?

17. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What next? Pedophiles?

18. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

In my opinion, a denomination is a group that denominates. Baptist groups, like the SBC, formally denominates therefore it is a denomination.

Some believe that because the local church is autonomous means they are not denominating. However, when autonomous churches unite and formally denominate over local church autonomy, they then become a denomination.

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The UU church near me has a lesbian pastor. It matters not to me. I am not a UU.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is too bad on both counts. :(