1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Presbyterians Ordain Homosexual Minister!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 9, 2011.

?
  1. It is against the Word of God...

26 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. It was bound to happen (see my comment)....

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. It makes no difference (see my comment)...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. One day the Baptist denomination will ordain homosexuals...

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. It is not for me to judge (see my comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Okay as long as the homosexual minister remains celibate..

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. I would attend a church with a homosexual minister...

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. I will teach my children these denominations are practicing sin...

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  9. It is what it is. There is nothing that will stop this from infecting other denominations...

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  10. Judging these denominations are as much a sin as being homosexual...

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So you think I should become a UU? :laugh:

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No I think it should break your heart.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

OK...just wanted clarification. Thanks. :smilewinkgrin:

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think the UU counts as a church (Biblically) nor does the leader count as a pastor - especially a woman!!!

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Maybe "she's" not really a woman. :eek:

It's hard to tell these days.

6. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I appreciate that you qualified this by stating it was your opinion. It does prove you know very, very little about the SBC.

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The SBC certainly is a denomination. If you don't follow their rules, you get kicked out of the club. You can twist words and say that local congregations are autonomous, but that's only true if they choose to 1) stay within the rules or 2) leave the denomination.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I really hate to say it but you're right. I've never seen in person a feminine pastor. :(

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm Also Glad He Clarified that...

...As it sounded like he thought you should become a UU...:praying:

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the SBC is a denomination, just like IFB's are a denomination - but neither is a Denomination! (notice the capitalization of the "d" and "D" )

Here is the difference. There was a Methodist church down in WV (near Bluefied). They had some differences with the Methodist doctrine and let the Bishop know about. Bishop said fine - but leave the keys to the church building with me. ( By the way - they went across the street and became a Baptist church.) (true story - and BTW, I have preached in that church twice.)

Now if they had originally been a SBC - and they told the DOM we no longer believe you have to be immersed and by the way we now have a female pastor - the DOM would say - Fine - but please take down your SBC sign as you no longer desire to fellowship with us. (and of course they would get to keep their building as a SBC church is autonomous)

11. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. it is not. The SBC is doctrinal agreement between churches. Either can leave when they feel it is in their best interests. The SBC makes no claims on how my church spends the offerings, it does not even tell us who can be our Pastor or staff. The individual church chose to join and can choose to leave. In fact, most separations are church chosen and not SBC chosen, which is the way autonomy works.

12. matt wade

What would happen if your church chose a woman or homosexual as a pastor?

What would happen if your church chose to spend the offerings to open a business such as a liquor store?

13. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I do not think alcohol is a sin, but I would think spending such resources for profit gain is against other principles.

I would guess that a woman pastor or a homosexual pastor is probably not a true church, if it it is a true church it barely resembles a true church. They are in error and probably are at risk of no longer being a church.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In addition - most of the time - the local church requests assistance from the association or State Convention. We have had staff come into our small church - and guess what - we are not required to pay them or even take a love offering as their expenses are covered by the co-op program - which we voluntarily give to.
    All the Assoc or Convention do is make recommendations - there were several recommendations given to our church - some we chose to follow thur, others - we did not. It was our choice.

Salty

ps - denomination also means :
    denomination's Defination

1. (n.) That by which anything is denominated or styled; an epithet; a name, designation, or title; especially, a general name indicating a class of like individuals; a category;
    Note: bold print my emphasis - notice it does not say anything about requiring a "higher headquarters"

and thats exactly what Baptists (including independent Baptists) are a general name indicating a class of like (not identical) individuals.

So whether you like it or not, you IFB are a denomination - but my question is why are you making such a big fuss about it - We do agree on one thing - no other organization can tell us what we must do or cant do in our local autonomous Baptist church.

15. matt wade

Whether or not the actions are sinful are irrelevant. The question is what actions would the SBC take against a church that took those actions?

16. matt wade

See that is what is in dispute. I say that the SBC can tell the local church what to do. If the SBC rules are not followed then the local church will be removed from the SBC. That's the nature of a denomination. There are rules flowing from a central office. Yes, the local church can chose to disobey those rules, but at the risk of being removed from the denomination.

I reject the definition you found in a dictionary. While in the general sense of the word it may be true, it does not apply to what is commonly referred to as a denomination. We can find definitions for all types of words that don't apply to real life.

17. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

John,

BTW, I do not claim to be an expert on SBC, but they refer to themselves as a denomination as seen at this link . Please see the specific quote below:

So, I will admit to not being an expert on the SBC, but if you think they are not a denomination, you need to argue with the Southern Baptist Convention's official website. Thus, both of us probably needs more education on the SBC.

I would like to know your understanding on the word "denomination" because, from my understanding I have a clear definition of denomination that seems to fit with the historic understanding of denomination. To denominate is a denomination. I have heard what you think it is not, but I would like a definition on what it is. Yet, remember, the SBC is a denomination according to their own website.

#37 Ruiz, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  18. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

On alcohol, they shouldn't or they would have kicked out some of their own ancestors.

The latter, they should kick them out.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    thats the point - the word denomination has more than one meaning.
    The other definition does indicate a hierarchy

Lets take some Bible words -
    Baptizo (907) means to baptize or even wash
    gate Acts 3:2 (2374) = opening
    Acts 12:13 (4440) = a gateway /doorway of a building

anybody else have a good example

Matt - I have a challenge for you - can you find a dictionary that states that the only definition of a denomination must have a "higher headquarter" (hierarchy form of govt)

Salty

PS - I just love :smilewinkgrin: your statement of "I reject"
    How many times has a non Christian said they reject what the Bible says about (true) salvation? Just because they do not believe it, does not make it any less true.

20. matt wade