1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Present SBC position on Doctrine of Reformation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

General Baptists do not hold to the security of the believer or OSAS. I do not know and have never known anyone in the SBC who does not hold to OSAS.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently it is you who has the reading comprehension problem. Neither I nor the article I posted said there were not both views in the convention either now or from the very beginning.

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

That's because it is in the BF&M, so you'll find very few pastors that don't hold OSAS...but you will find lots of church members that don't...we have some in our (SBC) church...one is the chairman of the deacons & small group leader! The other is currently chair of the personel committee...and he just gave us 3 calvinistic pastors a RAISE! :)

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolute proof that you lack the intellect to read with even minimal understanding.

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, had you read, with understanding, what I wrote or the article I posted you would have seen both I and the article acknowledges both views have existed from the beginning until now. The difference is only when and why each view reflected the preponderance of the Convention as a whole.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you need to go back and read what you posted. It is bunk.

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure you can make that statement as a blanket reference to General Baptists. Even the original Five Articles of the Remonstrance, published in 1610, did not completely dismiss eternal security but left the door open, if only a small crack.

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

...and oh yeah, they also OWNED OTHER HUMAN BEINGS AS PROPERTY!!!

(See, just because some Southern Baptists believed or behaved in a certain way in the past doesn't mean we have to emulate them today.)

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you would like to support your mindless assertion of "bunk." Please point out, in detail, anything I said or the article says that is factually incorrect. If you cannot do so please feel free to bow out of the discussion as "bunk" is not an intellectually coherent response.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what the "loyal opposition" seems unable to understand. The issue is not one or the other but rather that both have existed in the past and both exist now, the difference being which view reflected the majority. (Although, admittedly, it is often difficult to determine if there was an actual majority as a very vocal minority can make so much noise they seem to be in the majority.) :)

11. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are all a bunch of sissies! I have a huge scroll that I take up there written in Hebrew and Greek. Modern so-called translations and perversions are for wimps!

Scrolls are for real preachers.

12. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

However, in the first English Baptist confession of faith of Thomas Helwys and his followers in 1611, eternal security was rejected, as it continues to be by today's General Baptists and Free Will Baptists.

Unlike some, though, I would not want to see my church kick out those who did not agree with me, and I would want them to leave the church, just leave me alone. :)

#32 Thomas Helwys, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Article 7 of Helwys' confession clearly denies eternal security. However, most General Baptists today accept eternal security but remain "general" in their understanding of the atonement (as opposed to Particular atonement).

It is the Free Will Baptists of today that are closest to Helwys and his confession.
    I agree. I attend an SBC church of about 650. I am in the minority in believing in Particular Redemption. However, as I point out when such discussion arise, to me what is important is that you are in Christ, not how you got there. I suspect that, in heaven, we are all going to see that some of the things we believed turned out not to be the case. :)

14. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Here is an article from the confession of faith of the General Association of General Baptists:

"V. ASSURANCE AND ENDURANCE
    We believe that those who abide in Christ have the assurance of salvation. However, we believe that the Christian retains his freedom of choice; therefore, it is possible for him to turn away from God and be finally lost.
    (A) Assurance: Matt. 28:20; I Cor. 10:13; Heb. 5:9. (B) Endurance: Matt. 10:22; Lk. 9:62; Col. 1:23; Rev. 2:10-11; 3:3-5. (C) Warnings: Jn. 15:6; Rom. 11:20-23; Gal. 5:4; Heb. 3:12; 10:26-29; II Pet. 2:20-21. (D) Finally Lost: Jn. 15:6; I Cor. 9:27; Heb. 6:4-6."

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    isn't there a definite "push" to have pastors/teachers coming out into local churches more 'reformed', at least in regards to holding to the doctrines of grace?

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the Seminaries are now more Particular in their Soteriology it stands to reason more of the present and future graduates will be more Particular than General in their views of the atonement. As those current and future graduates move into positions of leadership in the SBC the Convention will become more Particular as opposed to General. However, as many SBC pastors do not attend the 6 SBC seminaries there will always be an outside influence on the Convention (and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Too much inbreeding can ruin any such group).

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, now I understand. I was not thinking of "General" Baptist in the context of an organized denomination, but rather as a soteriological position taken by most within the SBC. As a denomination, you are correct regarding the General Baptists. :)

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Okay, yeah, we were coming from two different directions. But we finally have met in the middle, or somewhere near it. :)

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its much better to meet in the middle than to crash head on as most such threads end up! :D :D

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    you cannot "push" the doctrines of grace.The understanding is God given.