1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

President Bush on Christianity

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by KenH, Jun 4, 2004.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I can tell you that when I travelled outside of the USA forty years ago, I never said anything against my country or against my government because I was taught that that was what politics ends at water's [sic} edge meant. And I do believe that it dealt with physical location because Carter came under attack for his remarks against his country while he was in Europe accepting the Nobel Prize.

I stand behind this statement:

The time-honored American tradition, whereby "politics ends at the water's edge," has historically sent a clear message to friend and foe alike that the American people, through their elected representatives, stood full square behind the armed forces and their commander-in-chief during time of war.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Where did you see me critise my country or my government CMG?

Is President Bush my country? Is he my government?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am curious CMG. Would have you have been so demanding of my absolute support for the abhorrent, immoral behaviour of President Clinton while he was in office? When my Irish friends praised President Clinton I suppose I should have agreed what a wonderful president he was?

I believe that you are the first person ever to question my patriotism CMG, and you do so merely because I oppose President Bush's pro-gay agenda. I take great offence at that.

[ June 05, 2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Christ4Kildare ]

4. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

C4K, speak up. I see no reason not to make a verbal or written defense of our nation and its traditions just because you are in Ireland.

5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Yes. In this area (as well as a few others)he deserves criticism. I honour him as my president and will obey him as Biblically mandated, but that does not mean I must never criticise him.

"Christians had no problem criticising President Clinton."

"Where did you see me critise my country or my government CMG?

"Is President Bush my country? Is he my government?"

No one has questioned your patriotism, Christ4K, but your wisdom. And it had nothing to do with the subject of your criticism.

I stand by my complaint about you and I will repeat it every time that I see you pull a Jimmy Carter. And, yes, the President is the head of your government.

The time-honored American tradition, whereby "politics ends at the water's edge," has historically sent a clear message to friend and foe alike that the American people, through their elected representatives, stood full square behind the armed forces and their commander-in-chief during time of war.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then Christ4Kildare should ignore you when you do so.

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good grief, ChurchMouthGuy, the "water's edge" understanding, even if valid, has never applied to private citizens, which is what we are. As an American, I am free to criticize anyone I choose to.

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong, rsr, it has applied to all American citizens. Why doesn't the man in Ireland just change his address on the computer to say that he is in OK or somewhere?

And thanks for the insult--don't you just love Baptists?

9. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Now, admittedly this may sound old fashioned and rigid, but perhaps he doesn't do that because it would be dishonest.

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

So are serial adulterers and habitual liars. Should they also be prime candidates for high office? </font>[/QUOTE]First of all, we're not talking about serial adulterers or habitual liars.

Second, to my knowledge, no openly gay person has run for high office since President Bush took office.

My point was that gays have every right to participate in their government as anyone else. Just because you and I may disagree with homosexuality doesn't mean that they check their rights to participate at the door.

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

We are not a theocracy.

Whatever you or I may think of homosexuality, gays are Americans, too.
    </font>[/QUOTE]True, but we have no need of a president with a homosexual agenda.
    </font>[/QUOTE]As much as I know I shouldn't dignify such stupidity with a response, I'll bite: what "homosexual agenda"?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

First of all, it might be in the best interest of your argument to give a link to a non-partisan site, rather than one set up for the purpose of bashing our president.

Second, since most of the outrages found on this site are not evidence of his supporting a "gay agenda", perhaps you could tell us specifically which of these is indicative of his supporting a "gay agenda".

As for the "truth hurts", in the section you recommended, "Bush on Sodomy", they include the following statement:

It is not the Democrats who have given us Roe v. Wade and are threatening to give us “gay marriage” – it is Republicans like George W. Bush!

I wonder if these guys realize that Roe v Wade was passed nearly thirty years before President Bush took office.

Idiotic statements such as these don't exactly establish them as a credible source.

14. rmp1978

rmp1978 New Member

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you missed the word "like"?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Homosexuality is unnatural. I think that is why we have such a severe problem with politicians that do not oppose the homosexual agenda.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. I am never sure once we go down the "I don't like your source" route exactly what will satisfy you, but the following is not a non-partisan site but it is a partisan site of the liberals -

www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=11456 .

Perhaps praise from the other side will meet your criteria.

And this is very interesting from the article linked above -

An interesting sidebar: Everetz, President Bush's AIDS czar met with the president in the Oval Office. He later told an audience of Log Cabin Republicans that "he [Bush] said, 'I did pretty well in the gay community, didn't I?' Yes, Mr. President, you got a million votes, 25 percent of the gay vote. And he said, 'Yea.' He had that look on his face and glee in his eyes."

That "look on his face and glee in his eyes" is enough of a signal to the Culture and Family Institute that all is not well at the White House. The report warns the president to stop taking his conservative pro-family supporters for granted. The Bush team "must consider that social conservatives regard the homosexual activist agenda as one of the greatest threats facing America." If it doesn't, "Mr. Bush [could be] a one-term president, just like his father."

18. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Whether or not I like your source isn't the point. The fact is, if the source has an axe to grind, then this should be taken into account.

Bias is bias. I'm asking you for a non-biased, non-partisan source.

And your source for this conversation? I'd be curious to see it in it's proper context, since the conversation between the President and "Evertz" is referring to a specific incident, which is conveniently left out here.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians have problems with President Bush's actions concerning homosexuals. The pro-homosexual community is amazed how much President Bush is willing to anger the Christian community. Yet, you refuse to see that there is any problem with President Bush's actions toward homosexuals.

Let's cut to the chase. What action on President Bush's part would cause you to admit that there is a problem with President Bush from a Christian perspective on this issue? If appointing openly homosexual people to governmental positions and supporting a homosexual group's application to the United Nations are not sufficient for you, then I'm not sure anything will convince you there is a problem with President Bush on this issue from a Christian perspective.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally speaking, is there such a thing as a truly non-partisan source? Could you give me an example of one so I can know what kind of source you will accept, if any?