1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

President Jimmy Carter's New Book

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Rhetorician, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang,

All who are interested in Fundamentalism must go to Al Mohler's web page and read about former President Jimmy Carter's New Book. It is shocking to say the least.

Here is the web address:

http://www.albertmohler.com/commentary_read.php?cdate=2005-11-07

The name of the book is: "Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis."

I would appreciate your come back and opinions on the BB Fundamentalist's page here when you have read the article. I may get the book and read for myself.

I have no reason to doubt Al Mohler for I am a grad of The Southern Baptist Seminary. But, if 1/2 of what he said about the book it true, then it is very telling about President Carter.

sdg!

rd

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

This is not a new idea among Democrats and/or liberals. They've been trying to paint conservative Christians as an evil in our society for some time now.
    Thats mostly what this whole thing with the approval of judges is about....democrats don't want anyone on that Supreme Court who actually holds to any sort of Biblical viewpoint.

There have been debates about whether our religious views should be affecting our voting. We've been called all sorts of things and blamed for all sorts of things.

3. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Mr Carter has Fundaphobia :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love it, Pastor KevinR!!

Personally, I stopped taking Mr. Carter seriously back in the 1970's when he was president. I was driving on missionary deputation on the interstate past Americus, GA, when I saw a billboard which said in huge letters: "We, the farmers of Georgia, apologize for putting Jimmy Carter in the White House." [​IMG]

Seriously, Rhetorician, I did read the article and agree with you that, "If 1/2 of what he said about the book it true, then it is very telling about President Carter." A sad commentary on a brilliant man with great potential for good.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Carter was running for pres. a newsperson asked him what he thought about Paul's teaching that women shouldn't be preachers. He replied that that was one area where he disagreed with Paul :) --- of course with a charismatic evangelist sister, what else could he say?

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just read first part of the article and skimmed the rest. Sounds like he is describing the Democratic retoric of the left to me, rather than anyone on the right.

They have been accusing us of all that they do to draw the attention away from their wrong doing :) neat trick and it seems to be working.

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exscentric,

Please get the word "retoric" correct. If nothing more for the "name's sake!" HA!

Just kidding, no offense intended.

sdg!

rd

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't wait to read it! Carter is right when he talks of fundamentalists leading in a direction that is dangerous. See Middle East! Within American Baptist life, so many so called Baptists have gone for the bait of fundamentalists that our Baptist forefathers would hardly recognize most that call themselves Baptist. I don't know if I agree with Carter on a lot of things, but on this right on in is criticism of fundamentalists who are really more secular then biblical.

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

go2church,

thing is, you have to realize who Carter and other liberals are referring to when they say "conservative, fundamental Christians."

They are referring to ANYONE who goes to church on a regular basis. ANYONE who allows their beliefs to influence their voting. I frankly don't know how anyone can vote withOUT their beliefs being an influence....but ok.

YOU, my friend, are someone they would consider dangerous.

And don't you see where this attitude of theirs is leading our country? It is leading towards our religious rights being taken away. They are doing it so gradually that many of us aren't even realizing its happening. And then when someone comes and says its happening, other Christians look at them like they're crazy.

They are starting to define US, YOU and ME, as being dangerous towards our country. Then the next major step is to start outlawing things that define "conservative Christian." What do you think "hate crimes" are all about? You know they are already starting to look at how to get preachers put in jail for preaching against sin? They are calling it "hate speech" and saying it ought to be lumped in with "hate crimes."

Don't take this as an opportunity to attack other Christians who you disagree with. You need to realize that YOU are just as much a part of who Carter is talking about.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being conservative and fundamental are not the same thing. I believe there are fundamentals of faith, but I am not fundamentalist. I consider myself conservative, but I don't only vote for Republicans.

You mentioned that they are referring to ANYONE who goes to church on a regular basis, well that would include Jimmy Carter and people like him! Anyone who allows their beliefs to influence their voting, well that is Jimmy Carter and people like him. Are you saying he is condemning himself?!?!

What religious rights are being taken away? Can you honestly name one or is this just rhetoric you are parroting back?

There are plenty of folks on both the right and the left who think "hate speech" is a violation of the First Amendment and are working to stop such foolishness.

I am not the enemy, I stand for religious freedom, seperation of church and state, free speech, soul freedom, local church autonomy, and priesthood of the believer. It is people like Al Mohler that are willing to sacrifice these historic Baptist principles, not me and not Jimmy Carter!

Perhaps instead of jumping to conclusions about what President Carter says in this book, why don't you read it and come to your own opinion. That is what I am going to do, I don't care if Al Mohler loved the book and thought everyone should buy it, I still would want to make up my own mind, something Baptists used to known for!

11. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dumb man, dumb man, dumb man, I'm going to rite that till I get it wright!

rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric

[​IMG]

12. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I read the article without reading any of Al Mohler's commentary and only reading Jimmy Carter's quotes that Al could find as defense for his rhetoric.

I would say I agree with everything Jimmy Carter is quoted as saying.

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

go2church,

I DID read the article that was linked to on the OP.

Im basing what I said on the LIBERAL'S viewpoint of what constitutes a conservative Christian. It is NOT the same definition as you and I have. Im not calling you MY enemy, and I do not believe you are an enemy of ANYONE, much less myself.

But I AM saying that POLITICAL liberals see you as much of an enemy as they see me. They put you and me in the SAME group, not just because we go to church all the time, but because we are CONSERVATIVES and go to church all the time.

They are including Catholics and Mormons in their definition as well.

.............more later...............

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is exscentric addressing?

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

go2church,

(I think he's addressing Rhetorician)

I want to add a few things to finish my response to you from earlier. First of all, if you will notice in Carter's book he states that he does NOT let his religious views impact his voting, not in those exact words, but thats what he's saying. As I was trying to say earlier, the liberals see anyone as dangerous who does BOTH the things I mentioned....goes to church faithfully AND lets their "religious" beliefs impact their voting.

So you guys who are claiming to be on Jimmy Carter's side are really going against your own selves. They are talking about you, too. I agree that being a conservative is not the same as being a fundamentalist, but the liberals in the political arena do not see things that way. Im basing this on things Ive seen written BY liberals....not interpreted through any other person's viewpoint.

Now, as to any rights we've seen taken away....what do you think the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is trying to do by constantly making decisions which act against the parent and for the state when it comes to the education of our kids? Have you read whats coming out of there lately? I know its been posted in at least two separate forums here over the last couple days. They're trying to weaken parental rights, and strengthen "governmental rights" over our kids.

I never actually said that we have ACTUALLY lost any rights, YET. I only said its going that direction. They are making strides that will lead to our rights being taken away, and then you will sit up and take notice and get upset....when its too late.

There are some rights that are degraded though. Rights that as recently as a generation ago were taken for granted. Remember "campaign finance reform"? You know what that does, don't you? Among other things, it states that you are not allowed to make political comments in certain arenas within 90 days of an election. This doesn't apply to everyone, obviously, but its opening the door to that. It includes areas such as radio commentators. In a free country, a radio commentator is not allowed to comment politically within 90 days of an election. This was unheard of a few years ago, and would not have been stood for. (This is not the entirety of the ruling, I know, however it IS a restriction on free speech)

You might say, well it doesn't affect me. Wait until they broaden it to say that a preacher in his pulpit is not allowed to make any sort of political comment from his pulpit. They already threaten the tax exempt status of churches when a preacher talks too much about politics.

Evil happens when good people stand by and do nothing.

Don't let that be said about us.

16. Brother James

Brother James New Member

Isn't Republican a religious denomination?

17. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Who is exscentric addressing?"

Just self recrimination after being rebuked by Retorician [​IMG]

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If something wasn't threatening and did not hit at the core it wouldn't bother anyone.

I suspect a lot of what Carter is referring to is dominionism. It is happening among a number of church groups in the southern part of the US.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominionism

I know for a fact that some non-believers I have talked with know about it.

These groups are pushing their agenda to support private schools and vote down any money sought for the local public schools. It is a money making deal for the churches involved who want a christian school in their church. They already have the buildings now all they need is the teachers and charge each kid about $3,000 and you have about 60 to 100K per teacher income.

It is a method to separate and control the local communities without evangelism. There have already been cities which have tried that and failed miserably.

Not too long ago some in the SBC some called for a removal of all SBC children from the public school.

Christians who are not about God's work of discipling others are doomed to fail. How can they possibly be blessed? They are disobedient. They are in violation of the basic command Jesus gave.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is that any different than dominionism proposed by so many Christians and pastors in areas of the south?

Those idiots are causing the world to be set against them and bringing trouble upon themselves.

I first heard about some of that from a non-Christian as I was talking with him.

What non-Christians have is wanting to be taken from them by some so called Christians. It is much the same idea of how Islam spread--by force.

20. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I saw Jimmy from the back once when he was running for President, I was about ten feet from him. I was with the media at the time, not part of the media-just with them.

I know this isn't relevant, I just thought I'd toss that in.
    :rolleyes: :( :D