1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

President of All Americans

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Feb 23, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's far too close to revealing man's sinful nature. Many Christians would rather avoid that discussion. They're afraid to talk about just about any aspect of race and man's prejudices toward their fellow man.

It is absolutely foolish to ignore the racial implications of Obama's candidacy. At least black people understand it. They are supporting Obama in overwhelming numbers against a candidate with outstanding credentials concerning race.

Why? Obama is black.

But that's not the question. The question is how his blackness might affect his political decisions...if at all. Obama hardly had a "typical" upbringing for a black person. It's possible his race will not factor into his decisions. But maybe it will.

Is he man enough to handle the label of "Uncle Tom", like Clarence Thomas has had to do, simply because he did not make decisions the way a black man was supposed to?

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Having prejudice toward our fellow man is a sign of our sinful nature and not something we should wear as a merit badge. Where does your prejudice end?

The fact that he is black is probably ok to discuss just as it was commonly discussed that JFK was Catholic. Impying he can't execute the office of President because he is black is where I the problem here. Has his record as Senator given you any reason to think this way?

He is also a citizen of this country and well as a Senator. Why is it you don't see those things also?

What is blackness? So now you are lumping all black people into one bandwagon of blackness? A person is more a product of the upbringing and surroundings. You on one had say he didn't have a "typical" black upbringing.

surroundingsIs he man enough to handle the label of "Uncle Tom", like Clarence Thomas has had to do, simply because he did not make decisions the way a black man was supposed to?[/QUOTE]

I never heard Clearence referred to as Uncle Tom by the black community. I only heard that from the conservative press as what the black community is saying. I guess you'd be right if we could 100% believe the press.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your insecurities are showing.

Now you label me "prejudiced" because you are unable to handle a discussion about race in an adult manner without throwing around racial epithets.

If you really want to know what "blackness" means. Michelle Obama had this to say about it:

"My experiences at Princeton have made me far more aware of my 'blackness' than ever before. I have found that at Princeton, no matter how liberal and open-minded some of my white professors and classmates try to be toward me, I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus; as if I really don't belong. Regardless of the circumstances underwhich I interact with whites at Princeton, it often seems as if, to them, I will always be black first and a student second."

She knows what it is and understands how it works. Evidently you are incapable of understanding how black people feel functioning at a high level in a "white world". Obama was raised by white people and may not feel as much like a"black" person as his wife did. Can you understand that?

As for Clarence Thomas, this is just one example out of thousands:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,28108,00.html
    Hawaii ACLU Members Compare Thomas to 'Hitler,' 'Anti-Christ'

Tuesday, June 26, 2001
    Kelley O. Beaucar

WASHINGTON — After comparing him to "Hitler" and characterizing him as an "Uncle Tom," a vocal group of members of Hawaii's American Civil Liberties Union convinced their board to reject an invitation for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to participate in an upcoming conference.

Pam Lichty, the president of the ACLU of Hawaii, said Monday that the board had voted against a proposal to invite Thomas to debate national ACLU President Nadine Strossen about affirmative action at the Davis-Levin First Amendment conference. The purpose of the conference, according to founder Robert Rees, "is to offer pitched debates on constitutional issues." The idea for Thomas to participate was first discussed by ACLU members after Justice Antonin Scalia had participated in an earlier conference.

Lichty said Thomas, who is African-American and is known as one of the more conservative members of the high court, was deemed by the board an "inappropriate" guest for the debate after "adamant opposition by the only African-Americans on the board."

‘Uncle Tom,’ ‘Hitler,’ ‘Anti-Christ’ Rolled Into One

A letter to the ACLU of Hawaii Board of Directors in early April by one of its board members, attorney Daphne Barbee-Wooten, expressed grave concerns with inviting Thomas.

"Faye Kennedy, Eric Ferrer and I are the only African-Americans in the Hawaii ACLU chapter," the letter by Barbee-Wooten stated. "We strongly object to ACLU bringing and sponsoring Clarence Thomas to Hawaii. … Bringing Clarence Thomas sends a message that the Hawaii ACLU promotes and honors black Uncle Toms who turn their back on civil rights."

What planet have you been living on that you don't know how Clarence Thomas is shunned as an "uncle Tom" by liberal blacks?

The question remains, can Obama stand up to this type of treatment without choosing race over country?

The voting in this poll is close enough to indicate there is a good bit of concern in that area.

#23 carpro, Feb 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2008
  4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Two things about her comments, 1. she is speaking of feeling alienated or deifferent even though she was every bit as qualified to be at Princeston as the next student. IOW, people saw her exterior before knowing the capability of her intelect. 2. This further highlights my point about acknowledging her husband as a black candidate instead of a presidential candidate.

I'll let you have this one only because Obamma is from Hawaii. But let's be real, you think the Hawaiian ACLU is a cross section of black america? For that matter, you think Hawaii views are representative of America as a whole?

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be ridiculous. Your thinking is obtuse, to say the least.

If you still believe liberal blacks all across the country don't consider Thomas an "uncle Tom" and refer to him as such, you're in a state of denial.

No one can fix that.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I guess my point is all blacks are not liberal so to try and lump the black population of america into a phrase like blackness or trying to say that a black politician would consider themself black before considering themself an American is obtuse. And to fear or insinuate he will be a president representing only the black population is obtuse. Clearence Thomas supports my position and you brought him up.

It is not relevant what anyone thinks or calls Clearance since he isn't running for office. You are using him to cloud the issue at hand.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back on track.

The question is, can or will Obama make political decisions without consideration for his race?

Clarence Thomas does. Can Obama take the heat of also making a decision that will be unpopular with other blacks as well as Thomas does when he's referred to as an "Uncle Tom" as Thomas is?

The poll is even. Thare's a lot more concern for Obama's ability to make decisions for America without regard to his color than I would have thought.

#27 carpro, Feb 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008