1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

President of the Evangelical Theological Society is Now A Roman Catholic

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Martin, May 7, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Francis Beckwith, president of the Evangelical Theological Society, has announced on his blog that he has returned to the Roman Catholic Church. His original plans were to remain on as president until November, but he has announced he is stepping down on May 5.

He says:
    "So, on Saturday, April 28, 2007, I received the sacrament of Confession. The next day I was publicly received back into the Catholic Church at 11 am Mass at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Waco, Texas. My wife, standing beside me, was accepted as a catechumen...Because I can in good conscience, as a Catholic, affirm the ETS doctrinal statement, I do not intend to resign as a member of ETS. However, because I am sensitive to the fact that my status as ETS president changes the dynamic of my return to the Church, I had originally thought that it was wise for me not to step down as ETS president before my term expires in November. For, I thought that my resignation would draw needless attention to ETS. On the other hand, because I had no doubt that word of my return to the Church would disseminate quickly through private conversation and correspondence over the next six months, I suggested to the ETS executive committee that it appoint someone else on the committee to preside over the remaining meetings in both August and November. I offered to attend those meetings and contribute to them in ways to advance the good of ETS. But I also told the committee that if it did not think it was appropriate for me to attend, I would not. On the other hand, if it thought I should conduct the meetings, I would do so. Regardless, I deferred to their collective judgment on this matter. However, I also told them that I intended to remain as ETS president until my term expires in November, but not to accept a nomination for a four-year at-large appointment to the executive committee after the end of my term...However, given the immense public attention and commentary that my reception into the Church has provoked, I no longer think that it is possible for ETS to conduct its business and its meetings in a fashion that advances the Gospel of Christ as long as I remain as its president. I now believe that my continued presence as president of ETS will serve the very harms that I had originally thought that my retention would avoid. For this reason, effective May 5, 2007, I resign as both President of the Evangelical Theological Society and a member of its executive committee."

http://rightreason.ektopos.com/archives/2007/05/my_return_to_th.html#more

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'd like to see that statement.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Here is the entire, two sentence, doctrinal 'statement' of the Evangelical Theological Society.

http://www.etsjets.org/

So I doubt that the position of the former President of the organization would be precluded, being a Roman Catholic, necessarily.

Ed

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

This posting reminds me that a few years back there was a rush of evangelicals into Eastern Orthodoxy, particularly the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Is there a mini-trend here?

A person who worked with me years ago as my Minister of Music, and who had been trained at Southern Baptist Seminary, later serving as a campus minister, became a Catholic ... in fact, a member of Opus Dei. She told me she was looking for stronger authority, and Baptists were too "wishy-washy". Hard to grasp, for me.

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Any time someone "returns" to, or leaves the ranks of the truth for the 1st time, the "Church" that is completly given over to paganism, blasphemies, idolatries and heresies and a false gospel its a very sad thing.

May God help him and hopefully open his eyes to this tragic error.

"[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2 Peter [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2:20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2:21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2:22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: "A dog returns to his own vomit," and, "a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire." [/FONT]

Sadly,

Mike