1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

President Re-Takes Oath

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Jan 21, 2009.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Sure, if you want to believe that Robert's messed up because of Obama..

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

If you notice, Obama hesitated, clearly knowing that Roberts said it wrong. His choice was to say it the right way and embarrass Roberts and sort of muck it up even more, or to join him in getting it wrong. I think he made the right choice and I think I would have done the same thing in the same situation.

QFT&CA

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Perhaps, or he may have forgotten what he was supposed to say. I don't know and it doesn't matter.

False. The second time, after Obama hesitated for whatever reason, Roberts got it right and Obama got it wrong. Again, go listen to it.

It's not that big of a deal by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't know what that means.

4. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Mr. Transparency did a re-do in secret without a Bible.

He screwed up the oath and will always be remembered as Re-do Obama.

Seeing such an arrogant hoodwink falter in front of millions of his adoring fans…priceless. :applause:

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It wasn't in secret. It is well-publicized and there are pictures of it.

Furthermore, taking an oath on a Bible you don't believe anyway in is irrelevant.

6. Enoch

Enoch New Member

"No TV camera crews or news photographers were allowed in."

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Big deal. It was done to side track all the nut cases out there.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Enoch,

I am still waiting for your answer to the question I asked you. Can you, will you, provide a answer? Or is it just more fun to play political games? The question can be found by clicking here and I have reprinted it below.

Why do you want Mr. Obama, or anyone for that matter, to do what Scripture says he should not do (Matt 5:34-37, Jms 5:12, Matt 23:16-22)? Please give a direct answer to that question.

If you don't answer that question you have lost 100% of your credibility on this issue.

9. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Martin,
    It seems important to you and I respect your stance. But it's not my complaint, kwim? I'm sorry I have lost 100% credibility.
    :tonofbricks:

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I don't use the Bible as a religious talisman. It smacks of idolatry to me.

On the other hand, I don't blame anyone for using a Bible symbolically, unless they are explicitly worshiping it.

My word is good whether or not I lay my hand on a Bible. I assume Obama's commitment is the same whether or not he uses a Bible. I would actually prefer that he would place his hand on a copy of the Constitution instead.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

So? You said it was done in secret. It wasn't. You said something that was untrue.

Who cares? What difference does it make?

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

In this thread, your true colors have shown...

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Why can't you just answer the question? It seems to be a very simple question about motive. You complain that he did not use a Bible on the redo. I pointed out that it is not required for him to use a Bible nor is it Biblical. So why do you want Mr. Obama, or anyone for that matter, to do what Scripture says he should not do (Matt 5:34-37, Jms 5:12, Matt 23:16-22)? I don't get it.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Quoted For Truth & Complete Agreement

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Doesn't this have to do with pagan oaths? I don't know that taking any oath is wrong.

16. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Accusing someone of being untrue is a pretty bold statement. Here is the definition of Secret. I consider the word "secret" suffice.

1 a: kept from knowledge or view : hidden b: marked by the habit of discretion : closemouthed c: working with hidden aims or methods : undercover <a secret agent> d: not acknowledged : unavowed <a secret bride> e: conducted in secret <a secret trial>2: remote from human frequentation or notice : secluded3: revealed only to the initiated : esoteric4: designed to elude observation or detection <a secret panel>5: containing information whose unauthorized disclosure could endanger national security — compare confidential , top secret
    — se·cret·ly adverb
    synonyms secret , covert , stealthy , furtive , clandestine , surreptitious , underhanded mean done without attracting observation. secret implies concealment on any grounds for any motive <met at a secret location>. covert stresses the fact of not being open or declared <covert intelligence operations>. stealthy suggests taking pains to avoid being seen or heard especially in some misdoing <the stealthy step of a burglar>. furtive implies a sly or cautious stealthiness <lovers exchanging furtive glances>. clandestine implies secrecy usually for an evil, illicit, or unauthorized purpose and often emphasizes the fear of being discovered <a clandestine meeting of conspirators>. surreptitious applies to action or behavior done secretly often with skillful avoidance of detection and in violation of custom, law, or authority <the surreptitious stockpiling of weapons>. underhanded stresses fraud or deception <an underhanded trick>.

17. Enoch

Enoch New Member

What color am I?

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Purple ? :laugh:

19. Enoch

Enoch New Member

:thumbsup: ... :laugh:

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Not really. In this case, it was easy. You said something that did not accurately reflect the state of reality, and therefore, your statement was by definition untrue.

Your last six words don't form a coherent sentence, but this was not "kept from knowledge or view." It was plain and open. There is a recording of it, and there are pictures of it. By definition, that isn't "kept from knowledge or view."

Nothing in your definition can accurately be applied to this situation. So, by definition, you said something that was untrue.

But it doesn't matter anyway. The first oath was fine. The second was unnecessary, but it was well-publicized. And even if it was secret, who cares?