President Schwarzenegger?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JGrubbs, Oct 29, 2004.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs
    Expand Collapse

"The Terminator" as president?

Arnold Schwarzenegger says he would like to at least be able to entertain the thought, but the U.S. Constitution prevents foreign-born people from holding America's highest office.

So the Austrian-born governor of California tells Correspondent Morley Safer he favors a constitutional amendment to enable him to run for president.

Safer's interview with Schwarzenegger will be broadcast on 60 Minutes, Sunday, Oct. 31, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

"Yes, absolutely (I would like to be eligible to run for president)," Schwarzenegger tells Safer. "Why not? With my way of thinking, you always shoot for the top."

Source: CBS News

2. Gershom

Gershom
    Expand Collapse

I pray not.

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs
    Expand Collapse

One of the proposals, by Schwarzenegger political friend, Senator Orin Hatch, Republican Utah, would allow anyone who has been a US citizen for 20 years, and has resided in the country for 14 years, to be elected President. Schwarzenegger was naturalized in 1983.

The other proposal, by a bi-partisan group in the house, whose ranks include conservative Representative Darrell Issa, Republican California- who spent more than 1.5 million to put the recall election on the October 7th ballot- would allow anyone who has been a naturalized citizen for 35 years to be eligible to become President. The House legislation, whose co-sponsors include liberal Representative Barney Frank, Democrat Mass., was proposed long before the recall movement in California.

Article 2, Section 1 of the Constitution, drafted in 1787, says that only natural-born Americans at least 35 years old who have lived in the country for 14 years can serve as President.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K)
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Dont think there is ANY chance that we will see a "Schwarzenegger Amendment" to the Constitution - which is what it would take.

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim
    Expand Collapse

I would think it would not be possible in the foreseeable future. But, then again I am shocked at what many of the best people will support.

6. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace
    Expand Collapse

I do NOT think we should mess with the constitution!!

7. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver
    Expand Collapse

Nyet, Non, Nein, Nigdo, No.

8. Gershom

Gershom
    Expand Collapse

Nevermind....

9. poncho

poncho
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Terminate the constitution. We don't need that old outdated document now that we have the UN charter.

10. Gershom

Gershom
    Expand Collapse

11. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim
    Expand Collapse

When they were trying to work out the Iraqi constitution, one of the comedians, might have been Letterman, said: "Why don't we just give them ours...we don't use it anymore anyway".

12. Johnv

Johnv
    Expand Collapse

Well, as a foreign born citizen myself, I have said from time to time "I would like to be President". Regardless of whether one qualifies or not, it's no crime, and no shame, to dream of serving the people in the job of POTUS. Many of us, when we were kids, said "I wanna be President when I grow up". However, I'm sure that there will be a fair number of folks who berate Ahhhnold for having that same dream.

Now, as far as the practicality of the matter, I can certainly see why the forefathers made natrual-born citizenery a requirement. However, we must wonder if that reason they penned that requirement still exists, or if it no longer serves its purpose. Certainly, there are many naturalized citizens who are probably better qualified to serve as POTUS as natei-born citizens. In fact, the rate of naturalized citizens who vote (vs those who don't vote) is higher than native borns. The same is true of those who know how many branches of government ther are, or how many amendments there are, or what the branches of government do, or whom the chief justice of SCOTUS is.

So, it is somehow unamerican to entertain the idea of changing the requirements of POTUS? In the very least, changing the requirements from being native born to being a naturalized citizen for, say 30 years? In any case, if the idea were to cath on, it is likely an amendment to change the constitution would not pass until well after the Governator is dead and buried, meaning that the first non-native POTUS may likely not even be born yet.

As for me, I don't have a problem with the constitutional requirement remaining the way it is, and I don't have a problem if people wanted to change it, either. If, however, it were to change, I would want the requirment to be a person who's been a citizen for at leat 25 or 30 years, a number of years high enough to ensure that the candidate's oath of citizenship has been engrained to (or beyond) the point of any native born citizen.